Weight gain from not eating enough and exercising too much.

Options
124»

Replies

• dmenchac
    dmenchac Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I try to see the logic behind many comments. A lot of information is being given without knowing the personal data of the individual and most of the information comes from the internet where you will find millions of posts that give false information. It is not because it is out there that it is the truth, beside we are all different.

If I base myself on my BMR of 1339 since I am sedentary due to my work. If I want to loose 1 pound a week I must cut 500 calories per day, do the math it brings me to 839....... I walk that is what I manage to do and burn around 300 calories from that activity.

If I follow your exemples I should eat 1200 plus my 300 for a total of 1500.......for a beautiful calorie excess of 200 a day.....does that sounds logic I would gain 1 pound a month.

Dont know but somewhere logic flew the nest.

I think I will listen to my nutritionist that have diplomas on the wall and have faith in her.

I truly hope you are joking. BMR is not your TDEE.

BMR is the calories you burn while in a coma.

Maybe you should get a diploma on your wall before you criticize others who are giving sound advice.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Definitely confusing BMR & TDEE.

And this thread is like, two years old. :tongue:
  • _KitKat_
    _KitKat_ Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Definitely confusing BMR & TDEE.

And this thread is like, two years old. :tongue:

Dang you nutmegwillowo and ^^^^YOU^^^^ for pointing this out :noway: :blushing:
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Can someone explain WHY you gain weight when you exercise too much and don't eat enough?

Sure. You don't.
  • gieshagirl
    gieshagirl Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Her body is rebelling against starvation and therefore has slowed down it's metabolism and is holding on to fat as a source of energy.
    this! I did it too. it takes the body a little while to realize that you really are not trying to starve it and it doesn't need to store everything as FAT!
  • catmirto09
    Options
    The human body needs more than 1200 calories to function properly over time. All of those little cellular and molecular chemical reactions that occur in the billions of our cells require energy to function. Cellular respiration requires energy to occur. Sitting on the couch eating requires energy. Sleeping requires energy. Working out for an hour and burning 500 calories obviously requires lots of energy. Regardless of the scale, she should be more concerned with having enough energy to perform those basic biological functions, and a net of 600 cals ain't it. Starvation mode is very real. The point of starvation mode is actually a survival method our bodies evolved from the hunter/gatherer period of our history. Believe it or not, there was a time when McDonald's wasn't on every corner and early humans had to work to get food, often to no avail. Our bodies developed a system of rationing out energy when those early humans finally succeeded in killing something and the body was flooded with calories. The body found a way to use those calories as efficiently as it could. Over time, with out further calorie intake, the body will starve and normal functions will cease because there is no energy to fuel them. No ATP, no cellular respiration, no cellular function. No cellular function is just a way of saying dead. PLAIN AND SIMPLE.

As to the brilliant doctor who claimed 600 calories was an adequate daily intake, he/she should be sued for medical malpractice. That is such poor advice. But there were those in med school who weren't the top of their class and they had to get jobs, too. Frequently restricting calories to 600, or anything less than 1200 in my opinion, is anorexia. And any doctor who recommends that course of action to their patient is endangering their life. Food is not the enemy. Clearly, if your friend is not achieving the results she desires doing what she is doing, she should change it. If it was me, I would increase my caloric intake to NET at least 1400 cals per day. I would tell her to watch fat and sodium intake more closely than calories until her body switches over to burn mode. If she is choosing quick foods to eat like, commercially processed foods, frozen foods, or soups, the sodium content can be astronomical thus causing her to retain water.

Last part to this way too long reply: inflammation can cause the scale number to creep up. Think about what happens when we injure ourselves. The innate immune system causes inflammation at the site of injury. Now think about what happens when we workout, especially when we have sore muscles the next day. Those muscles get micro-tears during the workout. This is how new and stronger muscle is built. Break down the old, build up the new. When we are resting inbetween workouts, the body's innate immune system starts to repair those injured muscle fibers. The first thing it does? Inflammation. Get some padding to the site of that injury. Now imagine that all over your body. It's going to make the scale go up, temporarily.

Long story short: restricted calorie diets are not going to cause weight gain, only nutritional deficiency and starvation. Amp up the cals and stop making the body go 100 miles an hour on fumes.