Is McDonald's ever ok?

Options
According to MFP yesterday, I had enough calories, fat, protien, and carbs left at the end of the day to fit in a cheeseburger from McDonald's. I know that place is inherently evil and the arch nemesis of every diet out there but is it ever ok? I mean, I know a cheat day every once in a while is fine but on a nornal day, it fit in with everything and didn't go over. I know it might have been better to have a salad but i wasnlt hungry enough for 500 calories of salad.
On a normal day, if it doesn't go over one calories, carbs, fat, or anything else, is McDonald's ok?

Replies

• Coltsman4ever
    Coltsman4ever Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    Anything is ok in moderation. If you feel like a cheesburger every once in a while, go for it!
    Just keep it in your calorie allowance like you did.
  • allie_000
    Options
    ...only if you're drinking their coffee (which is awesome by the way)
  • chanstriste13
    chanstriste13 Posts: 3,277 Member
    Options
    i hit fast food about once a week. i just make sure i up my water on those days to counter the sodium. if i swore off junk food for an extended period of time, it will eventually crumble into binge-feast of incredible magnitude. once i followed a pretty clean diet for 6 months solid. for me? terrible idea! the aftermath was not pretty. moderation is key!
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    I say yes, simply because cravings are going to come and go, and why not go for it when you have the allowance? I just wouldn't do it all the time.
  • auticus
    auticus Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    I find the oils etc in most of Mcdonalds food to be toxic to me. It jacks my sugar around. So to answer your question, for me, no Mcdonalds is not ok.
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    I know that place is inherently evil and the arch nemesis of every diet out there

Why do you think this?!?!

It's not McDonalds that is evil...it's the overeating of McDonalds that's the problem!

Moderation people!
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    On a normal day, if it doesn't go over one calories, carbs, fat, or anything else, is McDonald's ok?

Yes.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    The problem I have with McD's is they put sugar in everything. Even their salad dressings, which should be way low in carbs, have huge amounts. I haven't eaten there in years because of that.
  • sarahkova
    sarahkova Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I have 2 toddlers and Husband who love and adore nuggets 2x a month they get to have it...I either have a grilled chicken club or a southwest grilled chicken salad and a small fry with both...I just make sure I drink a bunch of water to go along with it.

ETA: I am working on my Masters Degree as well and sometimes I forget to pack a dinner So I will swing through and just get the salad...I really like that salad and it is only 300 and some calories...
  • babyblake11
    babyblake11 Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    in my opinion, no. i dont agree with the 'everything in moderation' saying. but everyone feels differently. i dont like putting anything into my body that doesnt nurture it and give it quality energy! the way i see it, is why not get subway insteadd? or buy a wholemeal roll and some deli meat and salad from the supermarket and make a sandwhich. or even go to a pub and order grilled chicken and veggies? i just dont find it worth the calories for something thats just... nothing!
  • Schwarzeaugen
    Schwarzeaugen Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    yes, there are several items that aren't too bad.

I stop by there for breakfast some times. Their egg Mcmuffin is like the healthiest breakfast item on the menu -- sodium is probably the big thing though.
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    Since changing my eating habits I can't even stomach their fries anymore. I do eat a McD's about once a week. My standard meal is a grilled chicken ranch salad and an unsweet tea.
  • sophjakesmom
    sophjakesmom Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    I think anything is ok in moderation. Is it ideal? No, but it is also not realistic that you will eat perfect 24/7. I take the approach that if I am under my calories, I can get it. I know i still eat fast food too much, but I have changed significantly what I get when I go (more grilled stuff and the yogurt parfaits are great.) I take baby steps in this process and it has worked for me. :ohwell:
  • netchik
    netchik Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    It's personal - If you're asking about their whole menu, they produce a nutrition pack so you can make smart choices even if it's the only option on the planet. There are options like sliced apple instead of chips, wraps instead of burgers, orange juice instead of sodas... the list goes on.

If you have a craving for a cheeseburger, why beat yourself up over it? After a while you'll have that cheeseburger, then think.. Do you know what, I REALLY didn't enjoy that!
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    I refer to the golden arches as McDoody's because **** is basically what they serve. They put absolute garbage in their food. If you are going to cheat, and a burger is what you want, go somewhere that uses fresh meat instead of the overprocessed, overpreserved junk you get at most fast food chains. Most towns have a few really great burger joints. Find it and let that be your treat. The crap they add to food is sometimes a lot worse than the fat and calories would suggest. I highly recommend watching Food Revolution!
  • wickedcricket
    wickedcricket Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    LOL no, McDonald's is the epitome of evil and NEVER ok - don't even look at the arches, they will burn your retinas. You can never eat at mickey d's again if you want to be less than 300 lbs - sorry

actually, stop this- THIS is the mindset that bothers me most and we are trying to get away from. You can eat anything, anywhere IN MODERATION. log it. own it but for God's sake, don't think of yourself as some kind of second class American who can't live how others do.
    #STOPTHAT
  • MelissaL582
    MelissaL582 Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    I think anything is ok in moderation. Is it ideal? No, but it is also not realistic that you will eat perfect 24/7. I take the approach that if I am under my calories, I can get it. I know i still eat fast food too much, but I have changed significantly what I get when I go (more grilled stuff and the yogurt parfaits are great.) I take baby steps in this process and it has worked for me. :ohwell:

This.
  • ambercholtz
    ambercholtz Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I stay away from McDonalds personally because of the high amounts of Fats, Carbs and Sodium but if it does not hurt you then go for it. Everyone's body is different so if it does not bug your system then head for it. My metabolism is quite slow so I don't even eat breads, dairy or sugars. Doing this keeps my weight loss from slowing and I am always sure to now watch the labels for sodium levels in foods and dressings. By doing so my metabolic rate has shot way up and now the weight is coming off easily.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    I think it's fine as long as you don't think of it as a form of nutrition.
  • GoodIntentions
    Options
    Probably not, but like another user said...maybe their coffee...:wink: but this is coming from a girl that saw a Dairy Queen commercial last night about the new pumpkin blizzard and then immediately went and got one :frown: