Genetically Modified Fish....WTF

Options

Replies

• allison_joan
    Options

Part of the problem is the stupid amounts of people we have living on this planet. Too many people having too many kids.

Didn't we go over 7 billion recently?

We are supposed to reach 7 billion sometime next week.

And you don't think thats a lot? The world is overpopulated - and that is a fact!

I also never said that world wasn't overpopulated. I'm not arguing that, all I said was that no, not to many people are having to many babies.
  • cdstadt
    cdstadt Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I'm not joking? I'm actually in a demographic, population & society class right now. Maybe go read a book or just watch the link.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Colinpri1#p/u/0/zBS6f-JVvTY

They're talking about human LIFE, not what basically boils down to social security. Not enough new people to support the old? That video didn't mention the death rates on the planet at all. What about the millions of people dying of starvation and hunger related diseases whilst poor, "endangered" first worlders are chowing down of genetically modified animal protein. If we could direct the amount of grain even just the US feeds their livestock we could feed MILLIONS of people.
  • joseph9
    joseph9 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Anyone who hasn't looked up where pink grapefruit comes from has missed out. It's an amazing story.
  • cdstadt
    cdstadt Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I am not a fan of incredibly dense farming, but there are 7 billion people to feed and "organic" is just a quick path to worldwide famine if its scope increases.

This wouldn't be true if people ate the same amount of meat that they did 50 years ago
  • lockef
    lockef Posts: 466
    Options
    I think it's fine if they want to sell genetically modify food, BUT ONLY if it's labeled. It should be left to the consumers to decide whether they want to save money on GMO foods, or spend more on the "real thing".

We all know in the US won't put labels on them though.
  • lockef
    lockef Posts: 466
    Options
    All "domestic' food is genetically modified through breeding.

There's a difference from breeding 2 different kinds of cows, and from taking a trait from an insect and putting it into a plant/mammal/fish.
  • Thomasm198
    Thomasm198 Posts: 3,189 Member
    Options
    Mmmmmmmmmmmm, genetically modified fish.

BartSimpson9.gif

:laugh:
  • Aross83
    Aross83 Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    Think about it.. If no one bought cheetos.. they wouldnt make them anymore. If people were buying organic chicken and meats.. the demand goes up so therefore more companies would want to provide it.. As Americans we are just use to eating junk. Also i wont eat soy now either.. they spray soy plants with frigging round up weed killer.. sorry if your comfortable with that so be it. But i choose not to be ok with that.. I just think people should have the rite to know how the food is processed and most people have no idea...
  • Levedi
    Levedi Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Hey,
    has anyone else seen this and think its absolutly as crazy as i do...

http://www.takepart.com/article/2011/10/13/fda-supports-selling-genetically-modified-salmon-report

If you have not seen the Documentary Food Inc.. you should absolutly watch it..
    Every American should know what goes on with the food we Eat. You can watch it on Netflix Instantly. Check it out!

Part of the problem is the stupid amounts of people we have living on this planet. Too many people having too many kids.

Actually, too many people aren't having too many kids. Yes, the world is very populated but the US and many other developed countries aren't having enough children to sustain human life.

ROTFL ROTFL ROTFL ROTFL ROTFL ROTFL

7 BILLION people.

7. billion.

That's not enough to sustain human life?

Please, tell me you're joking.

I'm not joking? I'm actually in a demographic, population & society class right now. Maybe go read a book or just watch the link.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Colinpri1#p/u/0/zBS6f-JVvTY

I know you're not joking, but you've misunderstood the term "replacement rate" in your demographics class. Some countries, such as Japan, are not producing enough children to sustain replacement rate - that is, the 1 to 1 replacement of dead people by new living ones. Countries whose birth rate falls below replacement rate face a number of problems, not least of which is that eventually their civilization could cease to exist - the population will age and deaths will outpace births until there just aren't anymore people in that civilization anymore. That's not the same as having too few people to sustain human life. People don't die from lack of other people - just natural causes.

Very few countries are so isolated that they can really fall below replacement rate at this point. Japan is close, but they solve the problem by allowing a significant number of non-Japanese workers to come into the country each year. Theoretically, immigrants could eventually out number and replace the people of the host country, thereby replacing their culture. If this happens the original culture is considered dead, but that doesn't mean you have a pocket of space where there's no human life. And realistically, the immigrants will likely have an impact on the host culture, but the impact will go both ways, especially if the host country has strong laws and traditions that promote assimilation and privilege one version of culture. Japan, for example, doesn't allow anyone without a native born father to be a citizen. Japanese culture isn't dying, though it is changing. And the islands of Japan are certainly not underpopulated.
  • Levedi
    Levedi Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I am not a fan of incredibly dense farming, but there are 7 billion people to feed and "organic" is just a quick path to worldwide famine if its scope increases.

This wouldn't be true if people ate the same amount of meat that they did 50 years ago

Yup. Unfortunately, you're absolutely right. "Organic" in most cases means going back to the kind of farming methods that modern farming was invented to replace. It's a nice luxury for those of us in first world countries because if an organic crop fails we won't starve. We'll just go back to eating wonder bread. In 3rd world countries "organic' is really just sustenance farming, which means one or two bad harvests and people start to die.

Plus, organic crops are hyper expensive because they are more labor intensive to produce and they have a higher failure and loss rate. For 3rd and 2nd world countries that doesn't translate to healthier eating. Instead, it means people can't afford the food because it's too high priced so they eat less. For people already facing food insufficiency a rise in food prices can mean malnourishment, even starvation.
  • Italianyc84
    Italianyc84 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    You really think the options are GM food or eating wild berries?? I don't eat too much meat, but what I do eat comes from small, local farms (and I live in a big city). So do all of my vegetables and fruits (except for things like avocados, which don't grow where I live, but I still buy them organic). All grains, nuts, etc I buy in "bulk", and they are all organic (I do keep some cans around, but those are also organic). I know the source of ALL the food I eat. Meat isn't the sole focus of my meal (for both health and financial reasons), and I eat locally. You don't have to be a millionaire to avoid the crap they put into foods!
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    This is directed at the folks who are concerned about conservation and status of fisheries:

As someone who is doing a Ph.D. in fisheries biology and who works worldwide with government management agencies and international fisheries scientists, I can tell you that not all fish stocks are being fished to extinction. In fact, there's a lot of work being done by thousands of people to avoid it and to promote sustainable fishing practices. We've come a very long way in the last 30 years, but we still have a ways to go. NOAA has an extensive list that gets revised annually on the status of certain species:

http://www.nmfs.noaa.gov/fishwatch/

Stock assessments are done all the time by scientists and teams of scientists around the world. Some species that are commercially and ecologically important have annual assessments across multiple agencies who coordinate with each other. Others are biannual surveys, and some low-risk low-grade species are surveyed every 5 years. I urge your educate yourself about how our fish gets to the table. By research, I mean going to legitimate science to understand this stuff, not to reading articles that do not cite peer-reviewed research published in fisheries science literature.

Here are several websites that you can go to find out more:

http://www.fpir.noaa.gov/IFD/ifd_index.html
    http://www.iccat.int/en/
    http://www.publicaffairs.noaa.gov/oceanreport/international.html
    http://www.fisheries.org/afs/
  • joseph9
    joseph9 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    You really think the options are GM food or eating wild berries??

Much of your organic food was genetically modified by humans, just more crudely. Wild berries weren't.

Of course, the berries were genetically modified by natural selection, coding errors, and cosmic radiation.

My point was just that I'm for a world where we can all choose the level of GM we're comfortable with. If you dig organic, good on you. If I like pink grapefruit, good for me.
  • Aross83
    Options
    Much of your organic food was genetically modified by humans, just more crudely. Wild berries weren't.

Of course, the berries were genetically modified by natural selection, coding errors, and cosmic radiation.

My point was just that I'm for a world where we can all choose the level of GM we're comfortable with. If you dig organic, good on you. If I like pink grapefruit, good for me.
    Edited by joseph9 on Fri 10/21/11 10:25 AM

I agree if you are comfortable with it thats cool. But we should be able to make the choice. and all GM Food Should be labeled as so.
  • Aross83
    Options
  • amycal
    amycal Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    No way in hell im eating Genetically modified fish. Sorry but after i watched Food Inc I will no longer eat chicken. And i love chicken. thats all i would eat. No more for me unless its kosher or organic. If people take a stand and buy organic it will become less expensive over time.

I haven't seen Food Inc but have heard about it. I agree with what you said - if more of us buy food the way it should be grown/raised there will be more farmers supplying it and the price should go down. For now I think it is worth the extra money to buy locally raised grass-fed beef and pastured chicken and pork. I just got back from my Farmer's market. As the old saying goes "an ounce or prevention is worth a pound of cure." I don't have health problems yet and I don't want them so I am committed to eating good food.
  • lackie09
    lackie09 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Hey,
    has anyone else seen this and think its absolutly as crazy as i do...

http://www.takepart.com/article/2011/10/13/fda-supports-selling-genetically-modified-salmon-report

If you have not seen the Documentary Food Inc.. you should absolutly watch it..
    Every American should know what goes on with the food we Eat. You can watch it on Netflix Instantly. Check it out!

Actually, too many people aren't having too many kids. Yes, the world is very populated but the US and many other developed countries aren't having enough children to sustain human life.

^^^^^^ what she said!
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    Aross, you better be careful If you carry on stopping eating things that have a tiny, tiny possibility of harming us you'll end up with not eating anything...

Some people simply dont WANT to know what's in their food. I got crucified for telling people about cheese mites, they said they'd rather than didn't know.
  • Aross83
    Options
    HMonsterX
    I understand some people dont what to know and thats fine. I choose to know. Im not taking it to the extreme. you have to pick and choose the best things to eat organic. If i could afford to i would eat 100% organic but its just not realistic with my budget.
    trust me i wont have a problem not eating!
  • PB67
    PB67 Posts: 376
    Options
    ONOEZ Chemicals!

For those that actually believe that organic food is inherently healthier, I suggest you watch this lecture:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JxE9sYatPAs