Annoyed with the Comment "eat something" and more

Options
polar135
polar135 Posts: 319 Member
RANT START

So i love my coworkers, but someone told me today to "eat something" cause i was getting to thin. this annoyed the crap out of me.

I know it shouldn't but it did. The person was joking but i made the healthy choice to change my lifestyle, and i don't care that i look to skinny. I eat tons, (1600-2000 Calories a day, depends if i work out)

It's kind like when someone who doesn't run, tells me its bad to run, it hurts your knees. Ummmm i run all the time and my knees are fine.

or when my wife tells me she doesn't want me to lose more weight cause she does not want me to be scrawny. i'm 5' 9" i weight 175 pounds, i'm far from scrawny.

I get that i changed my lifestyle for the better, but how but some real life support people i know. lol Just venting. :)

END RANT

Replies

• Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 Member
    Options
    That's my goal weight! And pretty much my height, give or take. It just "looks" thin compared to the "before" you, and what passes as normal in todays world.... average weight was lower than it is now not all that long ago...
  • gods_gal
    gods_gal Posts: 305
    Options
    I think "only joking" is really their true feelings coming out. Maybe they're jealous because you are so dedicated. Who knows why people say that. Just continue to meet your own goals and don't worry about what anyone else says. You've done awesome!! :smile:
  • CouleeRunner
    CouleeRunner Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I get ya! Get that all the time.

:)
  • ElementalMoe
    ElementalMoe Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I can relate - I had a coworker who told me to "stop losing weight", never mind that I'm not in my healthy weight range yet, or where I personally physically want to be.

I guess it comes down to tuning out the negative comments and actions of others in regards to your goals, and just power through and do it for YOU.

EVERYONE has an opinion - Unfortunately, we have to hear them all the time.
  • McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,672 Member
    Options
    Next time, just reply "NEVAAAARRRRR!" and stomp a cupcake into the asphalt, cackling maniacally!

:devil:
  • Kushgetti
    Kushgetti Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    they just jealious
  • kyrstensmom
    kyrstensmom Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Maybe you should try to look at it from the perspective that they are making comments based on ignorant concern. They are worried that you will get sick, etc., so they are saying something in the only way they know how. Just know that your goals are your goals and if you achieve them in a healthy, sustainable way, you can listen to their comments and then file them in the "round file" and move on.

My husband is 6'4" and weighs in at 180. He is thin, but not too thin, so there is no way you are too thin where you are now. Good luck to you!
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    The next time they tell you to eat something say "I eat plenty, just not that" and stress that to make it an insult . . .
  • ElementalMoe
    ElementalMoe Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Next time, just reply "NEVAAAARRRRR!" and stomp a cupcake into the asphalt, cackling maniacally!

Or this. . This is good, too. :)
  • LaDiablesse
    LaDiablesse Posts: 862 Member
    Options

I'd go with this!
  • winniss
    winniss Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Agreed. get it all the time. its unnecessary really.. I'm doing this to be healthy.... people assume that we will take it to the unhealthy extreme.

*rolleyes*
  • Shawn_Marie
    Options
    If you feel good and like the way you look your not too thin! I hate when people say things like that - the last time I lost weight (85 lb) guys at work started calling me "srawney shawney" and that pissed me off. I am 5'8" and was at the time 170lb - not scrawney.
  • forestrose910
    forestrose910 Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    I get why you are annoyed but let this one slide. Keep in mind that people make comments when they are jealous and don't know what else to say. Also when you have changed your lifestyle and eatting habits people encourage you to have something "bad" to make them feel better. but I am sure you have what you want when you want it and splurge on dessert or something else when it fits with your lifestyle.

Hang in there and keep up the healthy lifestyle. You have done a great job and made a real change and I feel like you are comfortable with yourself, your size, and your eatting and exercise habits. So just own that and ignore the rest. but ranting is healthy too. Also keep in mind that you may look thin because your weight has not yet distributed or "settled" into how you will be. My brother had a similar problem in that he looked thin and drawn in the face and neck but once he was to his comfortable weight, it evened out and he looks "normal". Take care and thanks for sharing what many of us deal with all too often.
  • ChitownFoodie
    ChitownFoodie Posts: 1,562 Member
    Options
    My coworkers hide my healthy food and put bad food on my desk.
  • JaimeBrown5
    Options
    I can totally see where you're coming from and how that would get annoying, but in defence of your wife's comments - she may be trying to politely tell you to stay where you for a reason. Some women just aren't as attracted to slim guys.

I dated a guy who was in the hospital for several weeks and when he came out he was a good 20lbs lighter, I never found him as attractive (in fact it made it easier when we split up).

I would like my boyfriend to be healthy and should he ever choose to lose weight that's fine, but I've told him that if he ever lost "too much" I just wouldn't be attracted to him anymore the way I am now. Some woman want their man on the lumberjack-sized side.

Just devil's advocate food for thought.
  • Beezil
    Beezil Posts: 1,677 Member
    Options

lmao! <333

I can relate. My husband, surprisingly, has been one of the worst people about this... in the beginning he was really supportive of me and cheered me on. He does still, but not as much... He keeps telling me I'm getting too skinny, and the other day he made me cry because he told me a picture I took of myself flexing was "not attractive - not flattering." He doesn't like the muscle I guess. It really upsets me though, because he's always said he doesn't care that much about my appearance. Yet, when I was almost 200lbs it wasn't a problem, and now that I'm healthy it is?! I don't get it. He gets irritated with me with how "obsessive" I am about calories and nutrition, and in turn, that aggravates me! It's so hard sometimes. =/

Then there's my sister and her husband, always eating fast food, both of them are really overweight and neither of them is trying to do anything about it. But they constantly tell me they want to change, yadayadayada. The other day they went to Popeyes instead of somewhere healthy, ate a bunch of fried chicken in front of me, then had the audacity to offer to buy me some when they know damn well I won'/can't eat that crap! :P
  • luv_lea
    luv_lea Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    Someone told me for the first time (outside of families critical remarks of course) that "you need to eat girl, you are too skinny!!" My response was "Thank you!!"

If there's one thing I've figured out...people talk, and give opinions. Do bad for yourself...people are going to talk. Do good for yourself....people are going to talk. Hell, in my world...simply just doing....people seem to talk. So to me...F*em. This is my body, and I will do with it what makes me happy! :)
  • anberlingasm
    Options
    Let them criticise. If you're happy with the way you look, that's great!

Just a thought, though; 1600 cals a day is not 'tons'. The recommendation for men these days is 2500. Even at 2000, you're undereating by around a day and a half every week. If you're comfortable with the amount you eat, it isn't really a problem but it's not really right to say you're eating a lot.
  • shellbell1993
    shellbell1993 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    :mad: I hear you...I get those comments all the time! Just because I chose to eat healthy (most of the time LOL) and workout to stay healthy and keep my weight in check, doesn't mean I am obsessed.

It's mostly comes from friends and family members. "You should eat a cheesburger, your too boney" or "Why do you need to workout? You are thin"
    DUH I workout so I can eat the foods I love to eat!!!!
  • Tahoe77Chelle
    Tahoe77Chelle Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I think people have their hearts in the right place, and by saying "eat something" or "you don't need to lose weight" it is their way of recognizing your weight loss and flattering you. If it is someone you are comfortable with, just say something like "Oh, I filled up on a great healthy lunch already" or something not as cheesy.