Replies

• PrimalMorningMoon
    PrimalMorningMoon Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Journal Entry: Day 2 : Success Score (1-10): 10

Moderate Duration Aerobic Workout

Activity: Walking, brisk
    Duration: An hour
    Comments: I'm trying to walk more, as it's my fave activity, but my plantar fascitiis is proving problematic. I walked through it today, and am paying tonight.

Calm, Relaxing Evening

Suggestions you followed: None, really
    Hardest part: Just changing the dinner (late because of hubby's job) routine, then time on the computer, watch a couple of shows, go to bed.
    Best Part: We're early risers and have never used an alarm
    Comments: I suppose I'm not taking this part of the challenge as seriously as I should.

Excellent day for you! Even though it's all or nothing, even the little bits of all are good! (I wish there was a cheering smiley cuz I would pick her!) When you can't, for whatever reason, do it ALL, doing the best you can is definitely awesome!

I had plantar fascitiis once after I started a new job and was on my feet lots more than I had been before. Holy OW, Bat Woman! I ended up massaging my foot as soon as I woke up in the morning before I got up and walked much, along with stretching it, and massaging it again as I was going to bed. It helped a lot though I don't know if it made it better faster, or if my foot just got in shape from the being on it. Also REST ICE COMPRESSION ELEVATION...especially the first two...might help. NOW I am dealing with what the podiatrist is telling me is degenerative arthritis in my foot/ankle. I've been in one of those awful plastic boots for two and a half weeks and have a week and a half to go in it. It hasn't really stopped me from walking, but it has kept me from heading to the mountains for these last nice days of Autumn. :sad: Here's hoping for happy feet for us both, and soon!
  • missmorninglory
    Options
    If you got rid of stuff, that's purging. :) Since it's only you, you probably didn't have the full pantry to deal with and probably don't need a whole lot of groceries to feed yourself. Find some nuts or something high in Primal fat to eat to deal with the hungry. Being hungry just makes it more difficult, and it doesn't have to be. That will probably will help with the tired too, although that can be the detox/withdrawal thing and you just have to wait it out.

I am finding that without even TRYING I walk out of my Primal heart rate goals. And that's only around the neighborhood. I am only imagining how high it will go when I actually head to the mountains and HIKE...up big hills...carrying weight! Also, doing the weight workout took my hr out of the 55-75% range easily. I don't know if that means I am terribly out of shape or what. My resting heart rate while watching tv last night was 58, which is pretty good, so again, I am flummoxed by getting into 80-90% of max so easily.

I don't have any weight loss goal for this challenge. I want to lose weight, but I think that will happen over the long run with the Primal WOE and lifestyle. My goals are about getting the thinking stuff to be second nature, get the carb intake lower on average (50-75g would be great on a very regular basis), and make the fitness part habit...moving more every day. I weigh in more than I report...the report right now is on Sunday morning each week. I would probably do well to weigh even less often, the fluctuations are so annoying and sometimes discouraging.

What is simply lemonade? I love lemonade, so how are you making it Primal? Iced tea is good and full of anti-oxidants (yay Irish Breakfast tea!), but the variety would be nice.

I live with family, so if I had it my way I would have needed a truck to purge the cabinets lol. My mom is a dedicated carb junkie, but I really don't think about it. Since going Paleo I've gotten really picky about what I like to eat so I really only have a few 'have to have' foods. The tired and hungry is from the sugar, I just need to grin and bear it for another 2-3 days =)

I was doing really well on the hike and then I hit the first big hill. Sheesh!! Which put me at about 80%. Sigh. I was able to get it back down fairly quickly but still there are 3 big hills on this path. I guess that might take some work.

I am a little surprised that my calorie intake has been so high. Maybe because I've learned to like red meat again. Simply Lemonade is sold in the juice aisle It's water, sugar, lemon juice and natural flavorings. Not paleo, but better than most sugary drinks. I don't like sugary drinks of any kind so I usually add just a splash to my lemon water. Even so, spiking my drink all day leads to a lot of carbs and like I said not paleo friendly.

I've decided to weigh in on day 7 and then day 21. I expect to see some results this week but then I think it will taper off suddenly.
  • missmorninglory
    Options
    Cavegirls come in all types! And it could be you will adapt better if you go more slowly. Me, I'm an all or nothing. It's so bad that, if for some reason I can't complete some little part, I get discouraged and quit. :p Working on that!

Weighing can be discouraging, but with me, if I don't, I'm not accountable. Just something I have learned about myself over the past few months! But I never report more than once weekly, and sometimes just every other week.

Fruit is SOOO much sweeter if you're not eating sugar, and especially Art. Sweetners! It's amazing. I bought some kiwi this weekend, and I think I might whip up some coconut cream have that and kiwi for desert tonight. Maybe. Haven't decided yet! :)

I used to weigh in everyday back when I was young and my metabolism still liked me lol. Now I seem to remain optimistic until I do weigh in. I think I'm awesome and then the scale disagrees which usually leads to a pastry of some sort :P
  • missmorninglory
    Options
    Has anyone done the PEM yet? Planning on doing it tomorrow??
  • bonkers5975
    bonkers5975 Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    I just had kiwi for the first time since I was a kid, and LOVED it. Yummy dessert, 1/2 a kiwi smothered in whipped, unsweetened coconut cream.

Yes, I intend to do the PEM tomorrow. Looks simple enough. May have to forgo the pullups because I don't have a pullup bar, and nowhere to put one (we rent, no holes anywhere!) I love planks and squats, though. And I have an exercise bike/elliptical that I can employ as well.
  • missmorninglory
    Options
    I just had kiwi for the first time since I was a kid, and LOVED it. Yummy dessert, 1/2 a kiwi smothered in whipped, unsweetened coconut cream.

Yes, I intend to do the PEM tomorrow. Looks simple enough. May have to forgo the pullups because I don't have a pullup bar, and nowhere to put one (we rent, no holes anywhere!) I love planks and squats, though. And I have an exercise bike/elliptical that I can employ as well.

No pullup bar here either and pretty much non-existent upper body strength. I think push-ups will be more than enough, but I do have a kettlebell if I'm feeling adventurous =)
  • PrimalMorningMoon
    Options
    Here's my journal for today. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Graysgirl/view/primal-challenge-day-2-162477

I did the PEM today. I can't do a regular pull up...but there are ways to modify and to do it without a bar. Or outside on a gate or playground equipment. Don't laugh... I lie down under the dining table and pull up on the edge. Gotta start somewhere, and I have wanted to do a pull up for a long time. Because it's there...ya know? ;)
  • bonkers5975
    Options
    ingenious!
  • PrimalMorningMoon
    Options
    ingenious!

HA! thx. :blushing: I'd take credit but I saw a snippet on a youtube video, I just can't find it again.
  • bonkers5975
    Options
    Did the PEM and am appalled by my lack of fitness!

Dehydrator just arrived! Oh boy!
  • horsepal
    horsepal Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Very Good Start Bonkers, I'm waiting for my book to arrive and then I'll join up with you!

In the mean time I'll wing it...today I had fresh tuna steak (thanks to my fishing brother) on my salad with home grown tomatos so if I read this right I should be on the right track!
  • missmorninglory
    Options
    Did the PEM and am appalled by my lack of fitness!

Dehydrator just arrived! Oh boy!

Thank you!! I was feeling like an embarrassment to cavegirls everywhere lol.
  • bonkers5975
    Options
    Journal Entry: Day 3 : Success Score (1-10): 10

Primal Celebration Dinner Planning

Comments: This is something we do several times a week anyway. I had one of these on Monday, had my parents over to share in a roasted turkey. Will get together with family on Sunday, if not before, and the biggest challenge is making sure Steve and I stick to Primal regardless of the menu.

Boycott Industrialized Food

Best part: Money savings
    Hardest part: None
    Comments: This is something we've done unconsciously for years, due to budget constraints, so it's no big deal in this house. Homemade tastes better anyway!

Full Length PEM Workout

Success score: 5
    Duration: 20min
    Reps completed: 2
    Push ups set 1: 20 Set 2: 10
    Squats set 1: 30 Set 2: 21
    Pullups set 1: n/a Set 2:
    Plank (time) set 1: 30 Set 2:15
    Comments: Am really out of shape. Have no place to do pullups. Did the 'easy' version of all of these. Having done these before, I know my numbers will go up quickly. Did the 5min warm up on the stationary bike.

Play

Spontaneous play session: Walk with Blue
    Duration: 20 min
    Hardest part: Nothing hard about it!
    Best part: Blue's happy!
    Comments: It was a beautiful fall day, and I even finished harvesting my garden when we got back.
    Steps taken toward grand play outing: none
    Hardest part: Just scheduling, not knowing what my weekend holds and how I will be feeling.
    Best part: Looking forward to doing SOMETHING!
    Comments: This will likely be in the form of a long ride on Sully. Unless Steve wants to participate, in which case it will likely be a nice long walk.

Summary Comments

Daily energy levels 1-10: 11 :)
    Hunger level between meals 1-10: 8
    Satisfaction levels with meals 1-10: 10
    Struggles today with Primal efforts: some hunger after lunch but had a cup of coffee and was good.
    Benefits noticed from Primal efforts: SOOOO much energy today!
    Daily highlight/s: Enjoyed the activity levels today.

Daily needs-to-improve: Wish every day could be like today.
  • bonkers5975
    Options
    Addendum, dragged hubby out for a 15 min stroll after supper. It was awesome! I feel like I have done so well today. What about y'all?

Cindy, it sounds like you are doing just fine! Mm, love fresh tuna. FedEx me some? :)

Can't wait to put my new dehydrator to work tomorrow! Going to start with banana peppers from my garden, and some carrot and zucchini chips.

I am going to go NUTS!

Grok on!
  • PrimalMorningMoon
    Options
    *I'm* excited for your dehydrator!! Have fun and share your results...verbally, I mean. :)

Here's today's journal(s). I did two days so I am on the schedule I want to be on for the fitness part.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Graysgirl/view/primal-challenge-day-3-162481
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Graysgirl/view/primal-challenge-day-4-162486

I have questions about the whole keeping one's heart rate in the 55-75% range. I seriously do much of anything the slightest bit challenging and I am up into 85-90%. Today I rode up a hill and was near 95%. Like one of you said, recovery time is quick, and I probably don't stay up there, maybe even COULDN'T stay up there, more than a few minutes. I don't really consider myself in terrible shape...my resting heart rate is less than 58 and while I am overweight, I am also pretty active... So this throws me off...confusing.

On that note, I'm going for a short walk and then going to bed. :)

G'night!
  • bonkers5975
    Options
    Excellent! I am the same with the fitness. I consider myself fairly fit, as I ride often, walked every single day before my foot problems a couple months ago, and generally love activity. I'm not what I'd call a couch potato until after dinner :)

I don't know the answer to your question. It sounds like our resting heart rates are about the same too... mine might be a 60 now. I have yet to pull out my HRM, perhaps I'll do that for my big walk today! I go more by respiration, and push myself so it's just a little difficult to carry on a convo while working.

Looking forward to the honor hunger part of the challenge today! I'm only eating when I'm feeling hungry. I find this part of Primal, along with IF, extremely liberating.
  • bonkers5975
    Options
    Just checking in. How is everyone doing today?

I'm feeling a bit less energetic at the moment, but I had a really active morning and woke feeling great. No breakfast, had a few almonds before a really strenuous walk. Snacked on a piece of terrine after. Lunch was awesome. I sauteed chicken livers in coconut oil with peppers, onions and celery and garlic and rosemary. Yum! My cals are super low right now, and having a hard time getting motivated to do the PEM for today. But I'm not even slightly hungry.

Supper will be roasted cornish hens, mashed cauliflower, and maybe either kale or spinach. Something really green

I'll get this workout done... I think I can I think I can I think I can...
  • bonkers5975
    Options
    Looking back, I realized PEM wasn't in the challenge today, a relief, because I'm sore! lol
  • PrimalMorningMoon
    Options
    Looking back, I realized PEM wasn't in the challenge today, a relief, because I'm sore! lol

Bet the hike felt good on the sore muscles. Not to mention nice getting outdoors, as always. The sun is shining here...I've been working in the yard and think I will go for a walk pretty soon, befpre the sun goes away.
  • bonkers5975
    Options
    Absolutely. We had the most gorgeous day here, 70ish and sunny, with the golds still clinging in the trees. Most of the other color is already gone. Supposed to be 20 degrees cooler tomorrow, and rainy. Blech!

Journal Entry: Day 4 : Success Score (1-10): 10

Honor Hunger

What times did you eat? 8:30am (almonds)11am (slice of terrine) 1pm (sauteed chicken livers) 6:30pm
    Hardest part: flagging energy late in the day, was only at about 800 cals at dinner time
    Best part: Free floating through the day and just eating when I felt like it (though it did coincide roughly with meals.)
    Comments: Woke feeling great, but after a long hard walk I struggled a bit with energy, yet felt very little hunger. Also had a headache by the end of the day.

Aerobic Adventure

Activity: Walking, brisk
    Duration: 75 min (did 3 miles)
    Comments: Feeling the effects of yesterday's workout but really enjoyed the long hard workout this morning

Stand up Work Station

Modifications made: None
    Hardest part:
    Best Part:
    Comments: I spent most of the day on my feet, doing food prep and some cleaning.

Summary Comments

Daily energy levels 1-10: 7
    Hunger level between meals 1-10: 0
    Satisfaction levels with meals 1-10: 10
    Struggles today with Primal efforts: flagging energy, little appetite
    Benefits noticed from Primal efforts: losing lbs steadily
    Daily highlight/s: lack of need for food

Daily needs-to-improve: lifestyle challenges, I really don't think I'm into them beyond the eating/exercise