How many pieces of beef jerky is 1oz?

Options
2»

Replies

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    edited June 2019
    Options
    I'm just wondering what happens if someone doesn't already have an MFP account. It sounds like @pjohns9770 already did.
  • JetJaguar
    JetJaguar Posts: 801 Member
    edited June 2019
    Options
    Depends on the site. Google will usually give you results from most sites whether you have an account or not, but sites that require you to log in to search sometimes block Google. I think MFP is open to everybody for searching.
  • whitpauly
    whitpauly Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    JetJaguar wrote: »
    Depends on the site. Google will usually give you results from most sites whether you have an account or not, but sites that require you to log in to search sometimes block Google. I think MFP is open to everybody for searching.

It is,long before I had an account here I googled the calories of something and mfp showed up
  • fritopie666666666
    fritopie666666666 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm glad he resuscitated the thread because now I know how much 1 oz of beef jerky is. And yes that was my internet search query!
  • fritopie666666666
    fritopie666666666 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm glad he resuscitated the thread because now I know how much 1 oz of beef jerky is. And yes that was my internet search query!
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Options
    pjohns9770 wrote: »
    1 oz is approximately the size of a slice of American Cheese. Saw this on another blog somewhere and just verified on a kitchen scale.

That's interesting. A slice of my cheddar weighs in at 0.5 oz on my scale. Then again, I always ask them to slice it thin.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,977 Member
    Options
    Back on topic, the beef jerky I buy (or have ever bought) is always cur in different sized pieces. They only weigh the bag for total saleable wt.

If you need to eat only 1 oz or want to know exxactly what the wt of a,specific diece is, just buy/use a cheap digital scale to weigh each oiece b4 you eat it.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,425 Member
    Options
    I make my own and then weigh it piece by piece as I eat it, since they’re all different. Got a new batch going in the dehydrator this morning. Homemade beats store bought hands down. Am experimenting with adding a little pineapple juice for sweetness this time. The last batch was awesome, except I forget it and it got hard as a rock. Not always a bad thing when you’re trying not to scarf a whole bunch down at once!
  • mediamst
    mediamst Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    search engine found it. I dont understand why those other people have to be insulting. I thought my response could help somebody. What difference does it make how old it is

Like you just Googled "how many pieces of jerky in one ounce" and got this thread?

Did you already have a MyFitnessPal account?

If you didn't, did you have to create an account to type an answer in the thread?

Sorry for all the questions. Truly curious.

I actually just typed into Google house many ounces in a piece of beef Jerky and found this thread. The piece of cheese answer was perfect!

Thanks
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    Apparently, it is a universal question. If you're trying to be that precise with measurements, it doesn't seem like it would be that useful unless you have jerky that is the same size, shape, and density as a kraft single.
  • mwagoner2004
    mwagoner2004 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    So how much? Like a pink size or thumb size?
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    Zombie thread needs a double tap.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,961 Member
    Options
    mediamst wrote: »
    search engine found it. I dont understand why those other people have to be insulting. I thought my response could help somebody. What difference does it make how old it is

Like you just Googled "how many pieces of jerky in one ounce" and got this thread?

Did you already have a MyFitnessPal account?

If you didn't, did you have to create an account to type an answer in the thread?

Sorry for all the questions. Truly curious.

I actually just typed into Google house many ounces in a piece of beef Jerky and found this thread. The piece of cheese answer was perfect!

Thanks

It was? Because to me it seems really unhelpful since (1) jerky is a cylinder and a slice of cheese is flat, so I find it difficult to visualize how much space a piece of jerky would occupy if I flattened it out like a slice of cheese and (2) American cheese is about 2.5 times as dense as beef jerky,* so now I have to picture ... a fifth of a slice of American cheese, compared to my flattened out cylinder of beef jerky? And how big is a slice of cheese, anyway? How thick is a slice of cheese? Is there some standard for sliced American cheese that I am unaware of? Am I in danger of being deported for not knowing that?

*According to the site aqua-calc.com, which I admittedly am taking on faith.
  • nytrifisoul
    nytrifisoul Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    As long as you use lean beef like eye round, and cut it with the grain, the amount of chewing involved makes it a negative calorie as you burn more calories chewing then the amount you eat. Its also helps give you a jacked jaw line like a movie star.
  • lizard0127
    lizard0127 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    1 oz is approximately the size of a slice of American Cheese. Saw this on another blog somewhere and just verified on a kitchen scale.

Thank you for your answer. I suffer from CKD, I’m without any way to cook protein so I have decided to do beef jerky for now as a small snack when I’m couch surfing until I can buy it fresh for meals to eat. I don’t have a scale and cannot afford one at this moment in my life.

I found this thread via duck duck go search looking up “how much beef jerky is 1oz”, hoping someone can say how I can eyeball it safely. I’ve been using MFP for years, but have never posted at the forum until now.

Your response has helped me immeasurably. I want you to know as my first post that I’m grateful you took the time to verify this information and respond to this topic. Thank you.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,983 Member
    Options
    pjohns has not logged in since June 2019 - so unlikely to see your grateful response

Food scales are very cheap -$10 or so from your local supermarket or chain store