Ok let's be honest here..................

Options

Replies

• mznisaelaine
    mznisaelaine Posts: 2,262 Member
    Options
    It started of like 75% vanity and then last year at my heaviest weight I was getting sick (it's very very rare I get sick) and I blamed it on me just not taking care of myself... And plus since I got more and more active on MFP and I started really learning more about health and fitness then I got more serious. Now it's more like 50/50.. But I know once I get healthier and lose weight then I will feel much better about myself.
  • lazyspice
    lazyspice Posts: 8,515 Member
    Options
    Health - my back hurts, my knees hurt, my feet hurt and I've got high blood pressure.

Not surprising considering the load they have to cope with!
  • fit4lyfeLisa
    fit4lyfeLisa Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Health
  • Mrswilko
    Options
    I've gone the other way round. Started for health, but now that my confidence has risen, a teeny bit of vanity is starting to creep in!!!!

i'd agree with this.... look much better than i used to and now i want to look good!

I have to admit though, although i know i needed to lose weight for some time I never really felt a strong urge to for any reason then one day it kind of clicked after being on AD's and I decided to do it! So here I am.... :)
  • StrawberrySuzyQ
    StrawberrySuzyQ Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I suppose I would have to say for vanity reasons, however, my BMI and weight were over the healthy ranges and I wanted to lower those to be healthier. I also decided to make changes for health reasons since my mom was put in the hospital and ended up having to open heart cardiac bypass surgery back in May. It made me re-evaluate my eating and my own health and make changes so that I would be less likely to find myself in the same situation.

Vanity because I just want to be skinnier (like I was before I got married 16 1/2 years ago) and I want to just want to kind of throw it in my ex's face whenever he sees me to see what he threw away since he is going after all those skinny, nothing there kind of girls. But I want to feel good about my body and so a lot of the vanity is for ME.
  • gazz777
    gazz777 Posts: 722
    Options
    Vanity started to set in after first few stone lost. Before that it was a life vs death struggle. Now, I choose LIFE !
  • mrmarius
    mrmarius Posts: 1,802 Member
    Options
    60% health 40% vanity. main issue is to get bp under control.and then get my six pack back
  • glockster972
    glockster972 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Both.
  • pnieuw
    pnieuw Posts: 473
    Options
    100% health. Could care less about looks or vanity. Needed to drop some weight and balance my diet.
  • SunshineKisses_2012
    SunshineKisses_2012 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    I've gone the other way round. Started for health, but now that my confidence has risen, a teeny bit of vanity is starting to creep in!!!!

This. I've lost weight purely for vanity (with a dash of health) in the past and it didn't stick. Me now doing it for health reasons and appreciating the vanity side of it as I loose weight has helped me to better understand why I was fat to begin with so that this will be a life-long change.
  • Mmmary212
    Mmmary212 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Both...if I didnt find out that certain staple foods were harming me, it'd be 100% vanity. But now over the past few months learning so much about what you eat is more important than how much you eat, It's more-so health because I have never felt healhier and what I look on the outside is a direct response to being healhty on the inside.
  • BondBomb
    BondBomb Posts: 1,781 Member
    Options
    Vanity. I have always been healthy and in fairly good shape. Having a baby changed that. But once I lose the last 10 baby lbs I think I will look the way I want to look again.
  • ONE03
    ONE03 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    um, neither? lol. :tongue:

or perhaps health if you can call it that. i find myself obsessed with food, and i just want to stop that. it takes away from my focus at school. not too long ago, i failed my nursing school entrance exam, and that just made me realize i need to improve my focus by developing better study habits AND improving my diet.
  • SmartFunGorgeous
    SmartFunGorgeous Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    Both... but check out my user name... mostly vanity!

Since I don't have anything to be vain about yet, I keep focusing on fitness goals. Right now, I want to get my stinking 5k under 40 minutes! I want to actually be able to COMPETE in my age bracket in a year from now... not have to focus on the old ladies and hope they don't put me to shame (SCORE--> beat an old lady today, and it was SWEET.)
  • baybeecakes08
    Options
    vanity .. im doing this just to look good lol!!
  • warmachinejt
    warmachinejt Posts: 2,167 Member
    Options
    i started with a set of 20lbs dumbbells in high school when i saw my friends show off their biceps. Now I just wanna be one of the bigger guys at the gym and feel like a beast...to me working out is about respect
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    Neither.

I just want to get stronger to help the wife more, and to be faster around the badminton court!

Looks and health are by-products for me :)
  • asyouseefit
    asyouseefit Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    Vanity and fitness :) I was at a healthy weight (higher end of normal BMI) when I started.
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    Definitely both. I like being healthier now at 41 years old, before I get older where being very active becomes harder if you're unfit. I also noticed my neck getting pretty damn bloated up and I was creeping up within 10lbs of my heaviest weight in my life, so I knew I didn't want to get there.
  • ABetterBalance
    Options
    Vanity and mental health.

My physical health is fine. My weight is in a normal range, and, while I have gained weight in the last year or two, my doctor has not expressed any concerns. Except my blood pressure, which is constantly elevated due to almost daily anxiety attacks.

I do not like the way I look, or how my clothes fit- so a large part of this is vanity for me. Also, I do not like the way I feel, about myself and just in general day-to-day. I've been struggling with mental illness for at least 15 years now, and have found that when I am eating better and more active, the symptoms are easier to manage.