5k times?

Options

Replies

• jjohnson0775
    Options
    I started the couch to 5K and loved it, my wife runs and always pushed me to get active. anyway I started the C25K and when I finished week 7 I ran my first 5K to begin week 8. I ran it in 37.10 and felt great about it. before then my longest run was 2 miles. so know she has already sined me up to run a 10K in april so I am going to start the 5k to 10k app and see how I do with that. BTW I have lost 20 pounds since I started. 305 down to 284 and counting
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    You're only racing yourself, so whatever time you finish in is great.

However, if you want to get an idea of where you stand, you can look at Age-Grades. It will tell you where you stack up against people in your gender and age group. While a 20 minute 5k might not be impressive for a 16 year old track star, it will win an age group for a 31 year old.

A score of 100% would mean you held the world record. 90+ puts you at the internationally competitive level, 80-90 nationally competitive, 70-80 regionally competitive, 60-70 locally competitive, etc

http://www.runnersworld.com/tools/age-graded-calculator
  • marypatmccue
    marypatmccue Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    You're only racing yourself... I mean, unless you enter to win a prize.... which is doubtful. I say, if you finish, that's a good time and aim to beat it the next time. Every person is different and it depends on your current fitness level. My first 5k I finished in 30 even, my second in 29. I'm happy with those numbers :)
  • reddeament
    reddeament Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    After running for a few weeks I did it in 35min. I think having good music really helps you get into a rhythm and keep going.

I really struggle at 2km but after 3km it gets easier again
  • BuffyEat2Live
    BuffyEat2Live Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I'm thrilled with any finish time less than 45 minutes. I'm a pretty slow runner though, according to most... But I can only compare myself to myself, you know? :-)
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I have just recently started training for a 5k. I honestly woke up one morning and said...I want to run a 5k race, so I am determined to do so. However, I have no idea what a "good" 5k time is for a beginner runner or a "good" 5k time period. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

For your first 5K don't worry about time - your only goal is to cross the finish line with a smile on your face.

Once you've been running for a while start shooting for improvements in times (or longer distances) as a way of measuring your progress. Personally, I ran my first 5K at 52 and came in just under 40 minutes......my goals for this year are a sub 2hr half-marahton, a sub 25 min 5 K and my first full marathon (don't care about the time as long as the race officials haven't packed up and gone home.....)

Goals in running are very personal, don't worry about comparing yourself to others.
  • ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    Options
    Everyone I know including myself sucked huge donkey balls when they first started. Don't worry about your time, just shoot for not walking.

If you still suck in a year or so then let me know and I'll come out and yell horrible names and throw things at your feet while you run.
  • 140point6
    140point6 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    If you started your first 5k in October and haven't finished yet I would say that 4-5 months is too long for a 3.1 mile race.
  • tcat100
    tcat100 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    For your first, I wouldn't worry about a time. It's exciting just to finish. However, be careful, it's easy to start out too fast and pace with the group you are next to. It's okay if you have to walk. When you cross the finish line, it's another type of adrenaline just to say "I did it!"
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    I guess I would consider myself a beginner runner and I ran a 5k tonight and did it in 42 minutes =/ My goal is to get it down to 35 minutes or less though. Just listen to your body, everyone is different =)

This.
    The very first 5K I ran without a walking break was run in 50 minutes. I'm now down to 39-42 minute range (one year later). I find that speed/time really depends a lot on how your day is going, how tired you are, etc.
    My ultimate goal is to get my time down to 30-35 minute range.

ETA: I haven't run an official 5K race yet. I just run around the neighbourhood. I think the thrill of an actual race might shave a few minutes off your time.
  • essjay76
    essjay76 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    A good beginning 5k time is any one in which you finish.

This is the answer to your question....well said!!!

Don't worry about how your time stacks up. Unless you run a 12 to 13 minute 5k and hold a record, "good" is all relative.
  • MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    I've only run one race, my goal was sub 30. My time was 27:17
  • fast_eddie_72
    fast_eddie_72 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    I have just recently started training for a 5k. I honestly woke up one morning and said...I want to run a 5k race, so I am determined to do so. However, I have no idea what a "good" 5k time is for a beginner runner or a "good" 5k time period. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

This sounds like one of those trite answers, but for a beginner, just finishing is a good time. Your first event becomes kind of a bench mark and gives you something to try to beat next time.
  • Brianna716
    Brianna716 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I've yet to run a 5k, but I just graduated C25K on the treadmill. In 30 minutes I ran 2.63 miles. If I could keep that pace, my 5k time would be about 36:22.
  • Followingsea
    Followingsea Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    If you started your first 5k in October and haven't finished yet I would say that 4-5 months is too long for a 3.1 mile race.

Ok while I agree with everyone else that finishing, not timing is the important part for a beginner... this is also a good answer.

But seriously OP, as long as you finish you're golden. Speed comes later. Once you have your first race down, you can focus on shaving seconds/minutes off that time :)
  • Zekela
    Zekela Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    A good time for any first time distance is just to finish... Heck, my goal for any race distance right now is just finishing it!
  • czmmom
    czmmom Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    My first 5k was right around 31 minutes. A good first time goal is just to finish it - or finish without walking any of it. I have beat myself several times since then. I only race myself!
  • girlschmoopie
    girlschmoopie Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Hope this doesn't scare you too much... I would say a "good" time full stop would be sub 20 minutes... a good beginners time? I don't know... sub 30? I've only run one stand alone 5km and that was 23 minutes and that was slow relative to most of the field.. but that was a race full of people who ran regularly... if you're in a field of people who are new to running then 23 minutes might be quite fast.

Okay, I'm going to disagree to a point with how the times here are labeled as "good" or "beginners"

Sub 20 is closer to an elite runner time.
    Sub 30 is a conditioned athlete that has been training (hill repeats, intervals, fartleks, tempo runs...etc.) and usually has run several races.
    Everything above 30 could be considered beginners. The times depending on how much experience and training, weight and age of the runner.

With all that said. Don't let your first time scare you away from the atmosphere of doing a race. There will be people faster than you and people slower than you, but everyone will be there because they love running. So just do it! If you are like me, the times will motivate you. Every time I got, I tried to do a little better in my next race.

If you want to know the specifics in your area, look up race results for your local races in past years. Look at your age bracket and see the range of times.
  • mortyfit
    mortyfit Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    My first one in 2010 was about 32 minutes. I've gotten it down to 20:43 now. As far as what is "good," that depends on your goal: are you desiring a competitive time, or are you satisfied with the accomplishment of completing a race, since you're just beginning? My advice in that matter is to just enjoy the atmosphere of the race, concentrate on running with good, clean form, and see what you end up with for a time--then you have a starting point from which to work. Have fun!
  • unapologetically_crystal
    Options
    since everyone here is so amazing and advanced.. i will put in my time for the turtles..

my first and only timed race came in at 1:05:55.

mostly walked.. and there were plenty of people still behind me and my friends.