5k times?

Options

Replies

• Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    Options
    At age 51 and weighing 202, I completed my first 5K in 44:01. I had been walking for several months and recently started C25K. I basically did W5D1 (jog 5min, walk 3min, repeat) for most of the race. I just used that time as a baseline time. I haven't been able to complete in any other 5K's - maybe this spring.
  • amybg1
    amybg1 Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    My very first which somehow was also my very best was 34:04, my very worst was 44:59...This being a month after I started running after a few months' break thanks to health issues. Was feeling great and got roped into doing the race...But it was one second under a 45 minute time goal I had set myself! I felt victorious :)

Listen to your body and go as slow or as fast as you need to, there is no ideal 5K time really. Averages would be in the mid-30's if taht's what you're looking for, since it's your first 5 though...I'd suggest setting a goal of anything between 30-40 minutes
  • birdiephd99
    birdiephd99 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I have run about 10 5k races and have never gone under 45 minutes. I run very slowly and am thrilled to finish. I think it depends on your fitness level and your current weight.
  • SaintGiff
    SaintGiff Posts: 3,679 Member
    Options
    Depending on the size of the race there will be several groups. There will be a <20 group, followed by a steady stream of ungrouped runners in the 20-23 minute range. There will then be a large pack between 23 - 30, a smattering between 30-32, and another large pack between 32 and 36 or so. When someone says they run "mid-pack" they mean they run in that 23 - 30 minute group. At least that's been my experience. Your results may vary.
  • benefiting
    benefiting Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    A good beginning 5k time is any one in which you finish.

This is the answer to your question....well said!!!

This!
  • fitness_faeiry
    fitness_faeiry Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I did my first charity 5K, and finished at 26 minutes, which I was pretty happy with. I didn't even consider it running as it was hard to run with hoards of people everywhere, so I reckon I could smash that time and shave a few minutes off.

However most people were finishing around the 40 minute mark which is still a good time for beginners.
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    Hope this doesn't scare you too much... I would say a "good" time full stop would be sub 20 minutes... a good beginners time? I don't know... sub 30? I've only run one stand alone 5km and that was 23 minutes and that was slow relative to most of the field.. but that was a race full of people who ran regularly... if you're in a field of people who are new to running then 23 minutes might be quite fast.

Dont listen to this. You could be running for ages for whatever reason and not break a certain time. Doesnt mean it isnt any good. I know somebody who was obese and losing weight and after 18 months of running, his best time is about 32 minutes and if you asked him that is quite an achievement

Various circumstances could affect your time.
  • AllezAllez1
    AllezAllez1 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'd say you want to be aiming for 25-30 minutes - most people can achieve that time with a little bit of training. Im a cyclist and my 5k time is well under 20 mins....You could walk 5km in 40 minutes!
  • JONZ64
    JONZ64 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options

EXACTLY!

Second that!!!! I do 5k in 40 minutes. But then again I really do not care about my rinning time, I care more about how heavy I an deadlift lol

This++++ My goal for my first 5K (actually my first in 8 years, I had run them in the military) was under 30 and I did 29!
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    I have just recently started training for a 5k. I honestly woke up one morning and said...I want to run a 5k race, so I am determined to do so. However, I have no idea what a "good" 5k time is for a beginner runner or a "good" 5k time period. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

a really good 5k pace would be to finish in under 25 minutes. but that is a long term goal.

first race is to push yourself hard and to have fun. when you cross the finish line, then you can figure out how you want to improve for next race.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    man, this zombie thread took off.
  • TRD66
    TRD66 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Find an actual race to enter yourself in. I saw someone mentioned parkrun (in the UK) and there's also entrycentral, which lists races in your area.

Give yourself about 12 weeks to train, if you're starting from scratch. C25K (couch to 5K) is good, but you'll find a number of training plans just by using google.

I trained from scratch for a 10K in less than 15 weeks. Was aiming for sub 56 mins for the 10K (based on some training runs) and finished in under 53. Adrenalin will carry you in a race.

I know regularly run 3.5+ miles for training, doing it in about 30 minutes.

Above all, as others have said, a good time is one where you finish. Do some training runs over the distance, so you can gauge your level. Once you've done the race, you can work on getting faster.
  • joolywooly33
    joolywooly33 Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    I would call myself a beginner and I can do 5k in 35 mins.......I would say the most important goal for me is to complete every run without stopping or slowing down and this is what I concentrate on. We all have different goals, I think it s great just putting my trainers on and getting stuck in - good luck!
  • laddyboy
    laddyboy Posts: 1,565 Member
    Options
    My best was 22. I would like to hit under 20. I don't ever see me hitting teenager times...LOL
  • mortyfit
    mortyfit Posts: 354 Member
    Options

Don't worry about how your time stacks up. Unless you run a 12 to 13 minute 5k and hold a record, "good" is all relative.
    I'm very fond of this answer! Perfect way to describe it, really. We're all pretty much past our Olympic primes, so "good" is what makes us feel good as runners. :)
  • vmclach
    vmclach Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    However, I have no idea what a "good" 5k time is for a beginner runner or a "good" 5k time period. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

People run between like 50 min & 14 min for these things in an open race.. "Good" is relative. If you want to place that usually depends on age, gender, size of the race, type of competition in the past, how hilly it is, the weather, etc.. I also think your weight & years running can be huge factors... I think for your first 5k anything between 36-30 is very good. If you run under 30, you're pretty rare & you have a gift. But don't worry about it! Just have fun! I didn't run my first for 5 years, and I ran just under 25
  • davemunger
    davemunger Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    Yep, a "good" 5K time is definitely in the eye of the beholder. I am a race timer, and I have seen thousands of people finish 5Ks. I've seen folks disgusted with 14:30s, and I've seen people elated to finish under an hour. It all depends on the individual.

As others have said, your goal for the first race should really just be to finish. If you find during training that you can run more than, say, 2 miles without taking a walk-break, you might want to bump up that goal to "finish and run the whole time." Anything more than that is gravy.

Anyone who can complete a 5K is doing better than most Americans and has made a real accomplishment!
  • raisealittlehell
    raisealittlehell Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    As others have said "good" time is subjective to you. I mostly race 8k-10k's. The one 5k that I did (and I had been running for a good while prior) I ran in 28 mins. That, for me, was a good time. I am not the fastest runner, but I like to push myself and for me, if I finish the race and am not the last person, than I feel like I accomplished something.

My first race my goal was to finish in an hour (it was a 9K) and I was able to meet that goal- just be sure to set something attainable for yourself, that way you don't get discouraged. Good luck to you!
  • litatura
    litatura Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    It totally depends on your gender and age group. I typically finish between 25 and 26 minutes (female, 30-40 age group) and that puts me in Top 5 for my category and Top 50 finisher for all runners and age groups.