Been thinking about getting a dog.....

Replies

• ennaejay
    ennaejay Posts: 575
    Don't get a specific breed. Get the dog you fall in love with.

And DEFINITELY get him from the shelter!

4 million dogs and cats are euthanized in shelters every year (60 percent of dogs and 70 percent of cats).

I got my guy when he was 3. Someone left him at a truck stop in the dead of winter in the middle of nowhere. He is quite literally the BEST dog I have ever MET. So loving, smart and well-behaved. I got to skip cute-but-awful puppy phase where they pee and poop everywhere, cry and bark nonstop and chew your favorite everythings.

Shelter for the win! :D

yeah, I'd like to skip the puppy stage if possible. I'm sure your little guy is soooo grateful to you!!! I know, kill-shelters are the pits :sad:
  • ennaejay
    Thanks for the thoughts - I did grow up with a border collie/springer mix so I know they shed a ton. She was an outdoor dog and my parents didn't groom her though :-/ I'm looking to have a house dog. I do have 2 preschoolers and a big yard!! So our new pet would have playmates and room to run! I also like to run, I considered an Irish setter because they're gorgeous and regal, but I don't know if I can handle all the hair in my house. Sigh............ that would rule out a bermese or newfie too.
  • ennaejay
    one vote for the hound, bassett for you. I have two, a blue tick and a red tick coon hound. They are both rescued dogs from situations not so great so they both have their problems. But they can go and go and go, once the excitement of going out has died down, scooby can walk for miles, and I mean miles. Annabell, let's just say she can go for a while too but I have failed her in her weight control. It's amazing the love they show and share. Sometimes Scooby has to be put to bed, I hold him and rub his head or belly as he falls asleep. Annabelly didn't know what she was until 6 months, when we got her. She is a purebreed by chance for me but I will never breed her, she's too much of a baby. I call her momma sometimes because I know she would make a great momma but let's face it, too many wonderful dogs in the world. I love these two hounds, from sun up to sun down, when I am home, they are better than my kids sometimes. They know when things are not right and they will stick to you like glue. Get the hound. I'm sure there will be bad days, like getting into trash, but whatever, they are dogs......love, jo:flowerforyou:

i'm leaning this direction really.... i've never met a basset in real life but I think the temperament would suit our family well....

I'm going to look around petfinder.com and see what that site's like.
  • lor007
    lor007 Posts: 884 Member
    Be sure you know no one in the home is allergic. We had a lovely basset hound we had to give away because of my daughter's allergies. :(
  • lor007
    lor007 Posts: 884 Member
    one vote for the hound, bassett for you. I have two, a blue tick and a red tick coon hound. They are both rescued dogs from situations not so great so they both have their problems. But they can go and go and go, once the excitement of going out has died down, scooby can walk for miles, and I mean miles. Annabell, let's just say she can go for a while too but I have failed her in her weight control. It's amazing the love they show and share. Sometimes Scooby has to be put to bed, I hold him and rub his head or belly as he falls asleep. Annabelly didn't know what she was until 6 months, when we got her. She is a purebreed by chance for me but I will never breed her, she's too much of a baby. I call her momma sometimes because I know she would make a great momma but let's face it, too many wonderful dogs in the world. I love these two hounds, from sun up to sun down, when I am home, they are better than my kids sometimes. They know when things are not right and they will stick to you like glue. Get the hound. I'm sure there will be bad days, like getting into trash, but whatever, they are dogs......love, jo:flowerforyou:

i'm leaning this direction really.... i've never met a basset in real life but I think the temperament would suit our family well....

I'm going to look around petfinder.com and see what that site's like.

Our basset was the most sweet and calm young dog I have ever had the pleasure of knowing.
  • glockster972
    glockster972 Posts: 704 Member
    I recently posted almost exactly the same thing! I visited the shelter today and found the pitt bull I want, just need to convince the landlord. Good luck and i hope you find a wonderful dog! :)

pit bulls are so popular, and i know the shelters are full of 'em :( i hope your landlord has a heart!
    Well, I have a lab/beagle mix (bad side? he LOVES to bark. Yes, I realize he's a dog and dogs bark, but he barks ALL the time. He loves water, loves to play fetch, etc)

I also have a boxer/American Bulldog/shar pei mix. (he doesn't bark and is pretty low key, but you have to pay attention because bulldogs and shar pei's have a tough time regulating their body temperature).

I love mutts. I wouldn't pay money for a pure bred dog - mutts are just much more appealing to me. :)

my aunt had several Shar peis in the last few years... they were pretty high maintenance and i do remember them having health problems and being sortof slobbery. I'd be ok with part Pei in a mutt I think. I like mutts too.

boxer.... hmmmm...... i'd take boxer before beagle I think. Beagles are hunting dogs right? They'd get the scent of something and refuse to listen if you called them (like setters or hounds). Dont' know if I want a bird or hunting dog......
    I'm kind of fond of my Golden Retriever, but he is a BIG dog.

(off topic, I like your sn, do you shoot a glock?) our next door neighbors have two Retrievers.... they ARE big, but so kid-friendly. I swear they smile at people! I like social dogs without them being overly hyper.

Why yes I do. Is there any other gun to shoot? lol
  • I own two German Shepherd mixed dogs, and one American Bulldog. All of which were rescues. All three have very distinct personalities. All of them are good with my children. Good luck in your search. :smile:
  • Jessamin
    Jessamin Posts: 338 Member
    Please DO consider breed when picking a dog. Taking home the one you ~fall in love with~ is all well and good but you need to have the resources to take care of that dog. But it seems you're already taking this route, so fabulous.

Take into consideration the size of your yard, how much time you intend to spend grooming and exercising, whether the animal is cat/stock/bird friendly, vet costs (bigger dog = bigger bills), how much it will eat and poop, size and strength of dog in relation to your family and the time you need to train said dog. I think writing a checklist to take with you at shelters wouldn't go amiss.

In any case, I like Staffordshire bull terriers. They're not too big, not too small. Pretty low-maintenance on the medical side of things. Generally eager to please. Good with people and kids. -Kanye shrug-
  • ennaejay
    I recently posted almost exactly the same thing! I visited the shelter today and found the pitt bull I want, just need to convince the landlord. Good luck and i hope you find a wonderful dog! :)

pit bulls are so popular, and i know the shelters are full of 'em :( i hope your landlord has a heart!
    Well, I have a lab/beagle mix (bad side? he LOVES to bark. Yes, I realize he's a dog and dogs bark, but he barks ALL the time. He loves water, loves to play fetch, etc)

I also have a boxer/American Bulldog/shar pei mix. (he doesn't bark and is pretty low key, but you have to pay attention because bulldogs and shar pei's have a tough time regulating their body temperature).

I love mutts. I wouldn't pay money for a pure bred dog - mutts are just much more appealing to me. :)

my aunt had several Shar peis in the last few years... they were pretty high maintenance and i do remember them having health problems and being sortof slobbery. I'd be ok with part Pei in a mutt I think. I like mutts too.

boxer.... hmmmm...... i'd take boxer before beagle I think. Beagles are hunting dogs right? They'd get the scent of something and refuse to listen if you called them (like setters or hounds). Dont' know if I want a bird or hunting dog......
    I'm kind of fond of my Golden Retriever, but he is a BIG dog.

(off topic, I like your sn, do you shoot a glock?) our next door neighbors have two Retrievers.... they ARE big, but so kid-friendly. I swear they smile at people! I like social dogs without them being overly hyper.

Why yes I do. Is there any other gun to shoot? lol

you must have some meaty paws... that's all I'm sayin' :tongue:
  • ennaejay
    Please DO consider breed when picking a dog. Taking home the one you ~fall in love with~ is all well and good but you need to have the resources to take care of that dog. But it seems you're already taking this route, so fabulous.

Take into consideration the size of your yard, how much time you intend to spend grooming and exercising, whether the animal is cat/stock/bird friendly, vet costs (bigger dog = bigger bills), how much it will eat and poop, size and strength of dog in relation to your family and the time you need to train said dog. I think writing a checklist to take with you at shelters wouldn't go amiss.

In any case, I like Staffordshire bull terriers. They're not too big, not too small. Pretty low-maintenance on the medical side of things. Generally eager to please. Good with people and kids. -Kanye shrug-

Great advice, thanks!!! I've been thinking about this for months now and definitely doing my research, agreed, there's much more to think about than just "is this dog cute?". lol! It seems there are pros and cons to so many different breeds, which is why I'm leaning towards a mutt.

I just checked local listings in the humane society in my town.......... it is FULL of pit bulls! Why is this???
  • Jessamin

Great advice, thanks!!! I've been thinking about this for months now and definitely doing my research, agreed, there's much more to think about than just "is this dog cute?". lol! It seems there are pros and cons to so many different breeds, which is why I'm leaning towards a mutt.

I just checked local listings in the humane society in my town.......... it is FULL of pit bulls! Why is this???

I have an enormous soft spot for pitbulls, but they are often rehomed because they attract the wrong kinds of owner and because they can be terribly difficult at times. They are not generally for first-time dog owners and people can kind of get in over their heads.
  • ennaejay
    I have an enormous soft spot for pitbulls, but they are often rehomed because they attract the wrong kinds of owner and because they can be terribly difficult at times. They are not generally for first-time dog owners and people can kind of get in over their heads.

i'll admit I don't know much about that breed. I'm finding Dogbreedinfo.com to be a great resource..... for temperament, medical/health concerns, grooming, size etc. I don't particularly like pitbulls because of their reputation but everyone who has one says how awesome they are. Pretty confusing.
  • Jessamin

i'll admit I don't know much about that breed. I'm finding Dogbreedinfo.com to be a great resource..... for temperament, medical/health concerns, grooming, size etc. I don't particularly like pitbulls because of their reputation but everyone who has one says how awesome they are. Pretty confusing.

Yeah, I think their reputation is largely misplaced. People have been blaming a variety of dog breeds for all the wrongs in the world over the years and it has come around to the pitbulls. My Stafford would be considered a pitbull under most jurisdictions and with a firm and persistent hand, he is just fabulous. But that is what they need, an owner that can handle them and often they don't get them.

We get pitbulls and pitbull crosses in clinic often, since we're quite rural and they're often used as pig dogs. Only ever had to muzzle one. I am pretty biased, though. Love those cuddly suckers.
  • ahsongbird
    ahsongbird Posts: 712 Member
    pitbulls r good dogs but not for everyone, my sister has owned nothing but pitbulls and they r not for me, i think they r sweet but they hurt and by that i mean, they r HEAVY HEAVY HEAVY dogs omg every time her dog runs into me even slightly it feels like shes taking a kneecap out they r PURE muscle.
  • maab_connor
    maab_connor Posts: 3,927 Member
    Don't get a specific breed. Get the dog you fall in love with.

And DEFINITELY get him from the shelter!

4 million dogs and cats are euthanized in shelters every year (60 percent of dogs and 70 percent of cats).

I got my guy when he was 3. Someone left him at a truck stop in the dead of winter in the middle of nowhere. He is quite literally the BEST dog I have ever MET. So loving, smart and well-behaved. I got to skip cute-but-awful puppy phase where they pee and poop everywhere, cry and bark nonstop and chew your favorite everythings.

Shelter for the win! :D

THIS!!

mine is a rescue and he's the best dog i've ever had.
  • ahsongbird
    If ur looking for fluffy and u dont find a dog in the shelter, I love love love lhasa apsos! My dog beefy is a lhasa and he is just the sweetest cuddliest thing and i've never had a single problem with him, also very low shed I never even see his hair anywhere altho they do need brushed weekly to keep from matting.
  • ahsongbird
    oops, i take that back, lhasas chew , my lhasa has chewed many a shoe and toy so they do need lots of chew toys and they r SMART so don't be fooled lol
  • k121777
    k121777 Posts: 306
    PLEASE go shelter! So many dogs need a home and love. I just got a yellow lab (female) named Gracie Ann jezzebel and she's THE BEST DOG I have ever had in my life! Good luck! Labs Rule! (Gracie is in the picture with me)
  • SMarie10
    SMarie10 Posts: 956 Member
    You should do more research than asking on MFP - If you want a dog, think about your life - are you in a house with a fenced yard, is there a park close by where you could walk them. Do you live in a big city in an apartment. I wouldn't want a big Lab if I was in an apartment and not able to exercise the animal. Do you have kids? Do you have neigbors that would get totally pissed off with a barking dog next door?

Really - you need to figure out what kind of pet (dog or cat or hamster) would fit into your lifestyle. Also, pets can be very expensive, especially if they get sick or need to be in a kennel if you go out of town. Can you afford to feed them, bring them to the vet.....etc...etc...etc...
  • cantjustcant
    cantjustcant Posts: 1,027 Member
    I have a one year old blue tick beagle rat terrier mix. She is sweet and loving and beautiful....but I have to find a new home for her because she hates my roommate...if he gets up to use restroom in the middle of the night she growls and chases him down the hall! It's becoming a real problem! If you are near Ohio....