Been thinking about getting a dog.....

Replies

• All I can really advise is do your research! From a shelter, it's not common to get a purebred dog, but you can learn enough to have an idea what to expect. We have two dogs, and I :heart: both of them, especially my mutt- I wouldn't trade her for anything in the world!

We have two dog, Ms. Moneypenny (a beagle) and Pepper Potts (a shepherd/heeler/something mutt)

Moneypenny= awesome. Great with children, loves to play, good companion in the house once her energy has run off a bit. Down side, the howling (we knew this going in and we're ok with it) and walking her is hard because she has to stop and smell every damn thing she passes! :laugh:

May201121-1.jpg

Pepper Potts= a different kind of awesome. She's, well, unique. Very sweet and I love her to pieces. High energy, which makes her an excellent walking companion, and she is intensely loyal.The down side is, she has formed a strong attachment only to me. She's good with the kids, but neurotic when I am not around, and skittish (I don't know if these are traits associated with her breed or not) Also, the herding dog in her leads her to herd the beagle into a corner of the yard and not let her move!

May201128-1-1.jpg
  • glockster972
    glockster972 Posts: 704 Member
    I recently posted almost exactly the same thing! I visited the shelter today and found the pitt bull I want, just need to convince the landlord. Good luck and i hope you find a wonderful dog! :)

pit bulls are so popular, and i know the shelters are full of 'em :( i hope your landlord has a heart!
    Well, I have a lab/beagle mix (bad side? he LOVES to bark. Yes, I realize he's a dog and dogs bark, but he barks ALL the time. He loves water, loves to play fetch, etc)

I also have a boxer/American Bulldog/shar pei mix. (he doesn't bark and is pretty low key, but you have to pay attention because bulldogs and shar pei's have a tough time regulating their body temperature).

I love mutts. I wouldn't pay money for a pure bred dog - mutts are just much more appealing to me. :)

my aunt had several Shar peis in the last few years... they were pretty high maintenance and i do remember them having health problems and being sortof slobbery. I'd be ok with part Pei in a mutt I think. I like mutts too.

boxer.... hmmmm...... i'd take boxer before beagle I think. Beagles are hunting dogs right? They'd get the scent of something and refuse to listen if you called them (like setters or hounds). Dont' know if I want a bird or hunting dog......
    I'm kind of fond of my Golden Retriever, but he is a BIG dog.

(off topic, I like your sn, do you shoot a glock?) our next door neighbors have two Retrievers.... they ARE big, but so kid-friendly. I swear they smile at people! I like social dogs without them being overly hyper.

Why yes I do. Is there any other gun to shoot? lol

you must have some meaty paws... that's all I'm sayin' :tongue:

Again, yes I do. :wink:
  • ennaejay
    ennaejay Posts: 575
    Thanks, I am doing more research than MFP, no worries... I'm not a type to make a rash decision. I've been looking into this for a while and thought I'd pose the Q to y'all to get some food for thought.
    I have a one year old blue tick beagle rat terrier mix. She is sweet and loving and beautiful....but I have to find a new home for her because she hates my roommate...if he gets up to use restroom in the middle of the night she growls and chases him down the hall! It's becoming a real problem! If you are near Ohio....

I'm close enough to OH but I think your pup wouldn't be a good match for me, ever since having kids I get up at night to pee..... I do like beagles though.

I think if I do enough reading and familiarize myself with breeds, I could pick out a mixed mutt and be pretty darn sure he'd suit our family. It's really helpful to know what everybody has and suggests.

ahsongbird, I think I'd go with something bigger than an lhasas, but wow, they look really sweet :)
  • ennaejay
    Does anybody have a Labradoodle?
  • ESVABelle
    ESVABelle Posts: 1,264 Member
    I have a Bullmastiff (purebred) and a Daniff (Great Dane/English Mastiff purebred hybrid breed). I love mastiffs. I rescued mine from big dog rescue agencies :-D
  • Enforcer25
    Enforcer25 Posts: 350 Member
    German shepherd, we have two, my Dad has owned two. They are smart, loyal, great with kids. I love them. My Dad currently owns a golden retriever after having to put down his last dog. He likes the golden because it is a very mellow, low energy dog. He likes this at his age. These would be my two recommendations. I would recommend talking to owners and visiting web sites to read about different breeds and the pros and cons.
  • kappyd
    kappyd Posts: 199 Member
    I have two Cavalier King Charlies they are great, never bark very mellow but ready to go when you are. Down side mine shed a lot. I have always felt bad that I did not get them from a shelter but I got just what I wanted. I will get a shelter dog next time, just not sure I can walk in a shelter and pick one and leave all the others behind. Two dogs is a great way to go, that way they are not lonely when you are gone.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    I recently posted almost exactly the same thing! I visited the shelter today and found the pitt bull I want, just need to convince the landlord. Good luck and i hope you find a wonderful dog! :)

pit bulls are so popular, and i know the shelters are full of 'em :( i hope your landlord has a heart!
    Well, I have a lab/beagle mix (bad side? he LOVES to bark. Yes, I realize he's a dog and dogs bark, but he barks ALL the time. He loves water, loves to play fetch, etc)

I also have a boxer/American Bulldog/shar pei mix. (he doesn't bark and is pretty low key, but you have to pay attention because bulldogs and shar pei's have a tough time regulating their body temperature).

I love mutts. I wouldn't pay money for a pure bred dog - mutts are just much more appealing to me. :)

my aunt had several Shar peis in the last few years... they were pretty high maintenance and i do remember them having health problems and being sortof slobbery. I'd be ok with part Pei in a mutt I think. I like mutts too.

boxer.... hmmmm...... i'd take boxer before beagle I think. Beagles are hunting dogs right? They'd get the scent of something and refuse to listen if you called them (like setters or hounds). Dont' know if I want a bird or hunting dog......
    I'm kind of fond of my Golden Retriever, but he is a BIG dog.

(off topic, I like your sn, do you shoot a glock?) our next door neighbors have two Retrievers.... they ARE big, but so kid-friendly. I swear they smile at people! I like social dogs without them being overly hyper.

My lab/beagle is far more "lab-ish" than beagle-ish. The only part of him that resembles his beagle side is his fur. Other than that? He looks like a lab. And isn't a hunter at all. He doesn't have an overly active sniffing nose. LOL. He DOES bark all the time though. At cars, people, cats, himself, shadows, leaves... ugh.

As for my Shar-Pei/Boxer/American Bulldog mix. He looks like a nice mix of them, though at first glance people think he looks like a Shar Pei/Pit Bull mix - his dad is purebred boxer and his mom is an American Bulldog/Shar Pei mix.
  • JustEllieK
    JustEllieK Posts: 423 Member
    I would google it but i would get a dog that is easily trained. For instance, Labs are smart dogs and can be trained easily. Basset hounds, not so much. Slower learners. I just so happen to have a mix of both. So you could say i have a smart stupid fast slow learning dog. Depending on his mood.

:laugh: sounds like my temperament. we'd get along, your dog and me.

Hahaha yeah its me sometimes!
  • abbigail_r
    abbigail_r Posts: 283 Member
    Do lots of research adn remember puppies are like babies/toddlers. You can look at Petfinder.com and they will show you pics and temperments of dogs in shelters in your area. Def meet them first to see how they are. Its been a rough 5 mths with our puppy. She was found outside but we believe she abused. Scared of everything especially men. Do lots of research!!
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Just a thought about pit bulls and like breeds (American Bulldog, Staffordshire Terrier, etc)-- you may be able to convince the landlord now but moving or buying a house may prove to be difficult. Tons of towns have outlawed the breed in the city limits, lots of landlords won't allow them (the Navy doesn't), and insurance on a future home could be impossible to get. My friend rescues pit bulls and to get home insurance she had to run THREE fences around her yard and one of them had to be electric (she made it the outside fence, so more likely to electrocute a burglar than a dog), and one had to be barbed wire. So yeah, there's that.

I'd just say look at your lifestyle and try to match accordingly-- smart dogs need training (beyond the basics), active dogs need exercise, herding breeds need LOTS of exercise. And remember that shelters often misidentify breeds so make sure you do your homework. Another friend of mine just adopted what was supposed to be a boxer/rottweiler mix and it turned out to be at least a large part Great Dane so it turned out MUCH bigger than she was anticipating. Good luck on your search!
  • Hi , I think it's great your adding a friend to your family. I have a Bullmastif and chocolate lab. They are both great girls to have. My bullmastif is the second one I have had. They both were under 100 lbs., Wonderful dispositions , They do not slober like some think...maybe the Mastif breed does but not the bullmastif...smaller breed therefore less 'lip' hanging around. The reason I chose the bulmastif breed to begin with is I have R.A. and have limits on my abilities when the RA is active. This breed will take as little or as much exercise as you can muster up.They are great for an apartment or in the country...and don't bark alot !! Just when they are suppose, then stop. Look them up they are wonderful.
  • livnlite
    livnlite Posts: 520
    You can have mine!! I soooo don't have the lifestyle for a dog. Actually, it's my son's, but he's away at school. Go figure ... I'm the one who's stuck with him.

I can't help but notice the sentiment (or should I say ... resentment) in your reply. I can only imagine that it comes through in the care you provide for this animal. I implore you to find it a good home with people who can appreciate him. I am not suggesting that you are treating him badly, but there is a difference in treatment when a pet is wanted or unwanted. I implore you to find him a home where he can be fully appreciated.

I am of the opinion that the animals needs should come before our 'preferences'. I don't mean to sound judgemental, because I DON"T know your situation. Please just consider the needs of this 'monkey in the middle'.
  • ennaejay
    Just a thought about pit bulls and like breeds (American Bulldog, Staffordshire Terrier, etc)-- you may be able to convince the landlord now but moving or buying a house may prove to be difficult. Tons of towns have outlawed the breed in the city limits, lots of landlords won't allow them (the Navy doesn't), and insurance on a future home could be impossible to get. My friend rescues pit bulls and to get home insurance she had to run THREE fences around her yard and one of them had to be electric (she made it the outside fence, so more likely to electrocute a burglar than a dog), and one had to be barbed wire. So yeah, there's that.

I'd just say look at your lifestyle and try to match accordingly-- smart dogs need training (beyond the basics), active dogs need exercise, herding breeds need LOTS of exercise. And remember that shelters often misidentify breeds so make sure you do your homework. Another friend of mine just adopted what was supposed to be a boxer/rottweiler mix and it turned out to be at least a large part Great Dane so it turned out MUCH bigger than she was anticipating. Good luck on your search!

Thank you for your advice and concerns. We do own our home, have a very steady lifestyle, and have no intentions of moving, so we're pretty well situated to provide a healthy home for a dog. :) For several months I have been reading and researching different breeds, and since I'm having trouble making up my mind, I wanted to ask MFP for thoughts and recommendations on y'all's experience with dogs.

I really am gleaning quite a lot of information and it's helping me quite a bit..... thanks everyone who posted!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :happy:
  • I am not suggesting that you are treating him badly, but there is a difference in treatment when a pet is wanted or unwanted.

I agree with this. My dog is scared of my husband. When he is in the room, she gravitates towards me, and will very, very cautiously approach him if he calls. He has never raised a hand to her or hurt her in any way, but he also made no attempt to build any relationship with her, or win her affection She *knows* that he doesn't like her, and since she is already skittish, it increases her fearfulness.

We adopted her as a birthday gift for me last year. I assumed that, since my husband suggested the adoption, he was open to having another pet in the family. We had discussed getting a second dog for awhile, and both agreed to wait until the time was right. I found out later that he didn't really want another dog, he just couldn't decide what to get my for my birthday. :noway:

I'm thrilled to have Pepper Potts, but I wish he was also thrilled. He went into the adoption for the wrong reasons, and it shows in their interaction together. :frown:
  • chickybuns
    chickybuns Posts: 1,037 Member
    I have a pitbull, who is the sweetest most loving dog I've ever encountered, but as with most dogs they need to be raised properly from the beginning. I also love boxers, dobermans, and great danes.
  • ennaejay
    I am not suggesting that you are treating him badly, but there is a difference in treatment when a pet is wanted or unwanted.

I agree with this. My dog is scared of my husband. When he is in the room, she gravitates towards me, and will very, very cautiously approach him if he calls. He has never raised a hand to her or hurt her in any way, but he also made no attempt to build any relationship with her, or win her affection She *knows* that he doesn't like her, and since she is already skittish, it increases her fearfulness.

We adopted her as a birthday gift for me last year. I assumed that, since my husband suggested the adoption, he was open to having another pet in the family. We had discussed getting a second dog for awhile, and both agreed to wait until the time was right. I found out later that he didn't really want another dog, he just couldn't decide what to get my for my birthday. :noway:

I'm thrilled to have Pepper Potts, but I wish he was also thrilled. He went into the adoption for the wrong reasons, and it shows in their interaction together. :frown:

Definitely, dogs can sense fear, animosity, anger, or distrust, very easily. I agree with pps that have said how pitbulls are such a "misunderstood" breed, I think it's because people haven't done their research about proper training and the "pack" mentality. A lot of people now have suggested bullmastiffs but I haven't seen that they're good with kids (that's a no-no for us) and also very dominant personality, so I think they would need a very strong, firm hand in training.

I'm a dominant personality myself, and I've trained horses (in my past life, before kids lol) so I could take a "project" dog confidently. But it's not the BEST choice for us. I think a mixed mutt (mixed with the "right" breeds), a golden/hound mix, something friendly, semi-active, doesn't shed TOO much, non-aggressive, fairly obedient, etc.....

Everything we'd want in a kid, right? Only the kid you can eventually train to clean up their own messes :-D But they don't have soft furry ears you can rub, so it's a toss-up.

DH doesn't want a beagle because they're prone to barking and running away (they're bird dogs I think)...
  • Riley4ever
    Riley4ever Posts: 225 Member
    There are lots of quizzes on line which ask you a number of questions (like how much would you be prepared to exercise dog, how much grooming you want / don't want to do) and at the end, it gives you a suggestion on the types of breeds which suit your lifestyle best. This should be the most important decision and you can still take the answers into account in the event you get a rescue dog which may be a cross-breed (there are lots of unwanted pedigree dogs in shelters too these days :(.

I have a flat coat retriever (see my ticker) - he's grown very big and bouncy and will happily have 2-3 hours walking a day and the shedding is horrendous (have the hoover out daily) but to me he is the most gorgeous dog in the world.
  • ennaejay
    There are lots of quizzes on line which ask you a number of questions (like how much would you be prepared to exercise dog, how much grooming you want / don't want to do) and at the end, it gives you a suggestion on the types of breeds which suit your lifestyle best. This should be the most important decision and you can still take the answers into account in the event you get a rescue dog which may be a cross-breed (there are lots of unwanted pedigree dogs in shelters too these days :(.

I have a flat coat retriever (see my ticker) - he's grown very big and bouncy and will happily have 2-3 hours walking a day and the shedding is horrendous (have the hoover out daily) but to me he is the most gorgeous dog in the world.

Do you have a link to one of those quizzes for recommendations? Sounds interesting. Your pup is beautiful!!!!
  • czechsmate
    czechsmate Posts: 556 Member
    I personally love Labs, greatest dogs in the world! We have two dogs, my girl Pearl is a beautiful yellow lab...love her to pieces! We also have a lab/terrier mix named Virgil...he's a really nice little guy, kind of nerdy (looks like he should be wearing a bow tie and glasses,lol) we got him after we responded to an add in the paper for a full blooded lab - we took one look at this little guy on a 3ft chain and knew he was not a lab but we could not leave him there with the idiots that owned him, $250.00 later we took him home, he layed curled up on my lap all the home...you could tell he had No love and attention at all! Dogs rule!