Can you gain weight by overindulging for a day or two?

Options
124»

Replies

• LuciaLongIsland
    LuciaLongIsland Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    I have candy almost every day. I am seriously addicted to sugar. It is easy enough to fit in what you love.

Don't give up on all your hard work just because the wedding is over!!! Maintain!

If I had candy daily I would gain.
  • ashnm88
    ashnm88 Posts: 748
    Options
    you should have 1 treat a day and build it into your plan. You can splurge on 600-800 calories and NOT ruin a day! Be a bit more active and then plan something tasty for the next day. You don't need them all at once and you don't have to give them up completely. Good luck!

I agree.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I've gained two and two-and-a-half pounds within a couple of days of overindulging. Granted, those were days when I went at least 800 calories over my goal.

well, unless you went over by 8750 as a combined total then MOST of the weight you "gained" was water weight/food mass and will go away within a few days of doing back to your normal routine.

It will???

It takes about 3500 calories over your MAINTENANCE calories to gain a pound. I don't know what your weight loss goal is set to here, but if you're eating at maintenance and go over by 800 calories twice, you might expect to gain 0.45 pounds from it. If you're eating to lose one pound a week, and go over that goal by 800 calories twice, you might expect to gain 0.17 pounds. If you're eating to lose 2 pounds a week, and go over by 800 calories twice, you should still lose about a pound and a half pound that week, because you're still well below your maintenance calories.

Any gain you see from going over by about 800 calories is water weight or the weight of the food in your intestines. Possibly slight fluctuation from your body not being used to excess food. But no matter what, it's temporary.

It's only permanent if you see that slight increase on the scale, freak out, and give up because you think you've failed.
  • Thena81
    Thena81 Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    yes! it does for me anyway ;p