Any other LGBT peeps (or LBGT allies) around?

Options

Replies

• Unwrapping_Candy
    Unwrapping_Candy Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    I'm a supporter! But why on earth would this thread get locked/deleted? It's beyond rational thinking!!!

It's in the forum rules. Honestly, the rule is in place to protect the LGBT community on MFP, to prevent the homophobes from spewing hate and causing problems.

The rule she's referencing is:
    Topics about politics, religion, atheism, or sexuality are not allowed and will be deleted. This includes posting images or signatures. Unfortunately, we have seen that topics about any of these subjects are highly likely to result in heated arguments and disputes. If you really wish to discuss either of these topics, please google political forums, religious forums, etc. - there are plenty of other places to express your views.

This topic will end up locked/deleted for being in violation of this rule in that it discusses "sexuality"--which has a VERY loose definition here on MFP that seems to include even the mention or suggestion that we're anything but straight. It's OK if you start a topic about divorce from your opposite-sex spouse, but it is not OK to start a topic looking for advice on your same-sex relationship. It's OK to to start a topic about how you can attract the opposite sex, but start one about attracting the same sex and it will be made to vanish. That's just how it is here.
  • IronmanPanda
    IronmanPanda Posts: 2,083 Member
    Options
    I'm an ally, but unfortunately the Holy Rollers and Anti's will have this thread locked in no time.
  • yeahthatpaula
    yeahthatpaula Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Ah man. I just looked up the rules. You guys are right.

I guess it's a good idea, seeing as how I wouldn't want to see posts about religion or politics. Oh well, hopefully they'll get on the ball and make some groups.
  • lucythinmint
    Options
    I am in. Part of the B group and a supporter! :drinker: We should be able to make a thread to find each other....I see no harm in it.
  • SixCatFaerie
    SixCatFaerie Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    I am in. Part of the B group and a supporter! :drinker: We should be able to make a thread to find each other....I see no harm in it.

^^^This!

4581915.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • HollieDoodles
    HollieDoodles Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    I'm an ally, but unfortunately the Holy Rollers and Anti's will have this thread locked in no time.

Please don't clump people into a category. I am a "Holy Roller" and I would never think about trying to lock this thread. It's not the "category" that makes people jerks.... it's the person. Mmkay?
  • sweetpunani
    Options
    ::::raises hand:::::
  • havalinaaa
    havalinaaa Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I am sad to hear MFP regulates in this way, it really makes me think twice about using this site. Unfortunately, I'm going to guess most of the alternatives have similar problems.

If a group can be formed, I would love to join!
  • sunkisses
    sunkisses Posts: 2,365 Member
    Options
    So before the thread gets locked - supporters, how are you supportive?

Like I've never attended a rally or anything, but where I live has a small gay community downtown, and I go hang out there very frequently with my kids and their friends. I guess my support is shown through teaching my kids that this is also normal but also spending money in LGBT-owned or supportive businesses.
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options
    So before the thread gets locked - supporters, how are you supportive?

Like I've never attended a rally or anything, but where I live has a small gay community downtown, and I go hang out there very frequently with my kids and their friends. I guess my support is shown through teaching my kids that this is also normal but also spending money in LGBT-owned or supportive businesses.
    I don't go around knocking on doors or anything -- just REALLY not my style, regardless of the cause (though that might be changing). I guess I mostly just try to make my feelings known in whatever way I can. For example, instead of registering for gifts for our wedding, my husband and I asked people to donate money to organizations that fight for marriage equality (okay, we also registered for gifts -- begrudgingly, because some family members basically insisted....). A lot of our friends and family donated money! Our officiant gave a bit of an ad lib shout out to the cause of marriage equality during the ceremony, which was also fun. Of course, he was mostly "preaching to the choir" since I think all of our guests shared our views.

I try to spend my money in places that share my views (I live in San Francisco, so it is easy...).

I also try to not assume hetero-normativity in my teaching.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    I have been a surrogate mother fora male gay couple twice...so I am an allie
  • IronmanPanda
    IronmanPanda Posts: 2,083 Member
    Options

Please don't clump people into a category. I am a "Holy Roller" and I would never think about trying to lock this thread. It's not the "category" that makes people jerks.... it's the person. Mmkay?

And your response is typical jerk. Mmkay?
  • MrsSpinks
    MrsSpinks Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I'm a supporter! But why on earth would this thread get locked/deleted? It's beyond rational thinking!!!

It's in the forum rules. Honestly, the rule is in place to protect the LGBT community on MFP, to prevent the homophobes from spewing hate and causing problems.

The rule she's referencing is:
    Topics about politics, religion, atheism, or sexuality are not allowed and will be deleted. This includes posting images or signatures. Unfortunately, we have seen that topics about any of these subjects are highly likely to result in heated arguments and disputes. If you really wish to discuss either of these topics, please google political forums, religious forums, etc. - there are plenty of other places to express your views.

This topic will end up locked/deleted for being in violation of this rule in that it discusses "sexuality"--which has a VERY loose definition here on MFP that seems to include even the mention or suggestion that we're anything but straight. It's OK if you start a topic about divorce from your opposite-sex spouse, but it is not OK to start a topic looking for advice on your same-sex relationship. It's OK to to start a topic about how you can attract the opposite sex, but start one about attracting the same sex and it will be made to vanish. That's just how it is here.

I think I'd get in trouble if I expressed how this made me feel, so all I can do is add: :angry:
  • Thomasm198
    Thomasm198 Posts: 3,189 Member
    Options
    I am sad to hear MFP regulates in this way, it really makes me think twice about using this site. Unfortunately, I'm going to guess most of the alternatives have similar problems.

If a group can be formed, I would love to join!

As was said earlier, at the moment the regulating of topics such as this is to protect the LBGT users of MFP. In th epast there have been some very nasty attacks on topics of this nature.

With the "Groups" function coming there will be less need to regulate as groups will be closed, thereby preventing unwanted persons from having the ability to attack topics.

Don't let the current rules stop you from using MFP. It's only temporary. :smile:
  • sexforjaffacakes
    sexforjaffacakes Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    I don't think we LGBT people should have our own group, my dream is to one day be rid of all these terms and boundaries and labels, and just have it as simple as you love who you love. End of. Not seperating ourselves or screaming about our differences. You can be proud without seperating yourself from staright people rofl.

"Sometimes we talk about being gay which is cool, but for her it's this big political statement and for me it's just something I am. Why should who you sleep with define who you are?"
  • sunkisses
    sunkisses Posts: 2,365 Member
    Options
    I also try to not assume hetero-normativity in my teaching.
    Same here. Love that.
  • xtinalovexo
    xtinalovexo Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options

And your response is typical jerk. Mmkay?

no it isn't! she had a point and you're new here, you don't know her so don't try to make it seem like she was being a jerk.
  • Windchild
    Windchild Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I'm an ally. I've always had several friends that fall into the various LGBT letters, or are pan or asexual.

I haven't been on MFP very long, so I'm saddened to hear that threads like this will most likely get deleted. But at least MFP is trying to make groups a reality, so there is hope.
  • TDGee
    TDGee Posts: 2,209 Member
    Options
    Love whom you want.
  • yeahthatpaula
    yeahthatpaula Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    No wonder threads like this get deleted. It's already deteriorating into people saying "don't talk about her like that you don't know her" because some people are just too sensitive and others posting about just how supportive they are (FYI, to whomever asked "Just how supportive are you?" This is not a competition).

I didn't create this post to separate us from "the norms" or "the straights."

I just wanted to find some people like me to talk to. If I had the option, I would have deleted this thread myself already.
This discussion has been closed.