Do you consider your new lifestyle change a diet?

Options
Every since I have made this lifestyle change, joined my fitness pal and started losing weight I constantly have people asking "how is your diet going?" I don't consider this a diet and why do people immediately think if you are losing weight, making better choices and exercising/toning that you are on a diet? I have gotten to the point that I just say yes it is going good because if I say I am not on a diet and explain the changes I have made, the next time they see me they ask they ask how is your diet going.

Replies

• brandenocs
    brandenocs Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Absolutely not. I consider it a change to better myself.
  • vanessaclarkgbr
    vanessaclarkgbr Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    Lol I'm the same, I prefer to not view this as a diet, because that implies to me that it will come to an end :-) I guess it's nice that they are asking!
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    I consider WHAT I'm eating to be a lifestyle change but HOW MUCH I'm eating is a diet.
  • celticmuse
    celticmuse Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    I consider it a lifestyle change. I will never go back to mindless eating and no exercise....
  • mynameiscarrie
    mynameiscarrie Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    I think it stopped being a diet to people when I was still "dieting" 6 months later. I think a diet it something that involves stupidity and weird food over and over (to be simple about it). I just eat right and exercise like a person is supposed to. It's a "diet" now since eating right isn't the norm what eh...whatever...i'm healthy.
  • thirtyandthriving
    thirtyandthriving Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    I have changed my diet, I am not on a diet! ;)
  • bjfmade
    bjfmade Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    I consider this a lifestyle change. period. It is something I have decided to change in my life that I can continue doing and not feel like I have cut things out of my life that I will someday have to have. I eat so much better now and feel better. I also eat a lot more, or so it seems to me. A diet is something I consider is a quick fix and one that has to be repeated.
  • AloyMomNwife
    AloyMomNwife Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I tell them: " No, I'm just eating less and exercising more." People can't conceive that you can loose weight by leading a healthy lifestyle and not depriving yourself from foods you like. It's nice, for a change, to be losing weight without a restricting diet. Keep up the good work!
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options
    I started of thinking I was on a "diet" and I have only been doing it for a couple of months but my mind set is changing and I don't feel like I am "dieting" I feel I have become a part of something. It is certainly a lifestyle change not a diet. But the words losing weight and diet just go together for most people I guess.

The answer would be. "Yes thanks its great" because it is working so what is in a name eh? :wink:
  • auntie_missy
    auntie_missy Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Yes and no. No in the sense that my decisions to give up certain foods, limit others, and eat more of others is all lifestyle change. But yes in the sense that I am on a restricted diet. I am only eating around 1250 calories a day. When I meet my goal weight and transition to maintenance, I will continue the lifestyle change but won't be so restricted.

When people say "How's the diet?" I say "Fine." No matter what. I don't argue semantics, and I don't give details unless they specifically ask because most people don't really want to hear the answers.
  • Justinbieberfanxoxo
    Options
    sometimes it can be ..... lifestyle can be change i g uess by what u eat..... it can also affect the way you feel
  • grassette
    grassette Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    For me, this is all about portions, and learning the calorie value of foods. I still eat the same stuff: fresh, from-scratch cooking with lots of vegetables, fruit, and unprocessed ingredients. Just about keeled over when I saw that a piece of home made Black Forest Cake had 570 cals in it. Good if you are clearing land in the back quarter but not living in the city food. So, traditions do need some adjustments. This site is good to know your food value and how to plan for it, and how make moderation a regular practice. And the big plus is to see how you can plan to work the excess off, in a calorie in = calorie out kind of way that is healthy. So, for me, this is not so much an incentive to diet as it is an incentive to exercise. Which is exactly the lifestyle change I have to make.
  • ahavoc
    ahavoc Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    I'll ying and yang ya.

Yes, because technically, everything you eat is part of your diet, whether it's ice cream and cake or low fat protein bars. There's no such thing as "going on a diet", there's just what your diet consists of and changing your diet.

No, because it's a lifestyle change, so it's just the way and what I eat now.
  • rockeraxXx
    Options
    AS for me ...its a diet. When I reach my goal it will become maintenance ....then just NOTHING more. You really don't have to explain yourself. People can be quite nosy. Just nod your head and smile and don't forget to look hot doing it :flowerforyou:
  • navywifeandmomof4
    navywifeandmomof4 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    I don't feel like its a diet i still eat what i want just less of it..like i don't eat a whole pint of ice cream at one time like i use to or a whole quart of chicken lo mein for dinner. my biggest change is me running..now that i finished the couch 2-5k program I'm looking for my next big challenge.
  • significance
    significance Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Absolutely. My diet is what I eat. Whenever I am watching what I eat (whether to lose weight or for maintenance), I consider myself "on a diet".
  • PrincessEliNa
    PrincessEliNa Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    I don't see what's wrong with the word "diet", look it up, it's not bad to be on a diet. A healthy diet improves your health, your physical and mental state...
    I think the word 'diet' has negative connotations because of UNHEALTHY diets, but really, it's not a big deal.
    I say I'm on a diet. I am. And I'll be on a healthy diet for the rest of my life. :D
  • JediMaster_intraining
    Options
    I consider my weight loss process as a lifestyle change. I know too much now to just forget about how many calories are in food and how wonderful it feels to be lighter and energized to go back to my old "fat" self.
  • Pepper2185
    Pepper2185 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    I'm not on a diet. I'm eating healthy and exercising ... like I should be.

How can living healthily be considered a diet?

Personally, I think a lot of people assume weight loss means restricting yourself from everything - hence the "diet" label. Just because you are healthy doesn't mean it's a "diet"

But - if you were following a rigid eating pattern (i.e. South Beach, Dukan) I would call that a diet.
  • lkwalker71
    lkwalker71 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your posts. I guess I get frustrated especially when it comes from a family member who has told me, don't get rid of your clothes that are now too big because you are going to put all the you lose back on. I am thankful for my group of friends, other family members and my husband who are supporting me and tell me how great I look and how well I am doing. I still have more weight to lose but make better choices and eating healthier.