PM Exercisers - I have a question for you!

Options
Question for those who workout at night: Do you find that working out in the evening keeps you up at night? Due to changes in my work schedule, I may have to switch my am workout to pm, after work, But I crave sleep - I function best with a minimum of 8 hours. I go to bed at 10 pm. Will I be ok doing cardio and//or strength training before 7 or 8 pm?

Replies

• SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    I sleep like a baby :]
  • dflute02
    Options
    I exercise at night all the time, sometimes as late as 10 and go to bed after I finish working out. I've never had a problem sleeping after. Good luck ;-)
  • fit4lyfeLisa
    fit4lyfeLisa Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Yep, I sleep like a baby!!!
  • jhardenbergh
    jhardenbergh Posts: 1,035 Member
    Options
    you should be alright, I change it up a little, usually weekends or when travelling for work I will work out in the morning, but during the week at home, I workout at night around 6 pm. I am usually exhausted afterwards and fall right asleep.
  • slieber
    slieber Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    Working out later did keep me up when I first started, but now my body's used to it, and I get to sleep as well as I did before. Since all of my workouts apart from weekends are late evening, and I get up early morning, I can attest to it not keeping me up.

Also, I have to eat late, since I literally won't get home until about 10pm. I don't eat a heavy meal, so that contributes to keeping me asleep, I think.
  • piccolarj
    piccolarj Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    I actually sleep better because I'm worn out after the workout.
  • franciellejoyce
    Options
    Unfortunately due to my busy schedule with work and college, i have only the evenings to do my work-outs. I get out of work at 9pm and what i do is work out.. i'm doing the 30 day shred from jillian michael's right now and then take a shower/bath and i suprisingly find it super easy to fall asleep right after.. it's quite cozy and relaxing when you finally lay down. I sleep quicker, too if i may add :) I would try it, hope it doesn't give you trouble. i also need my 8 hours or else haha
  • janf15
    janf15 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I don't feel evening exercise keeps me awake. However, for some time I have had issues with poor quality of sleep, so I took 400 mg of Magnesium oxide an hour before bed time and that seem to have taken care of the issue
  • MrsNoir
    MrsNoir Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Hi hun! uhm... I guess it depends as well of how much coffee you have during the day, but I'll answer it to you tomorrow, as I've just finish my workout (1.02 am English time), perhaps after working out if you have a nice relaxing warm shower it may help to fall asleep quicker and also, you may not need to wake up earlier in the morning just to have a shower!:D. Good luck with it!:D
  • allie1904
    allie1904 Posts: 248
    Options
    I go to the gym at 9pm, get home, have a shower, potter about for a bit, the hit the sack.The nights I workout, I sleep like a log :yawn:
  • MitchFletcher
    Options
    The exercise makes you good and tired, the shower relaxes you and puts you to sleep. I sleep like a grizzly bear in winter. I am never tired in the morning, but rather energized.
  • Brendie68
    Options
    I always work out in the evening due to work, i get out at 5pm and head to the gym then and have no problem going to sleep.
  • JoDeeD
    JoDeeD Posts: 391
    Options
    I used to work nights then go to exercise. I would sleep wonderfully when I worked out but couldn't sleep if I didn't.
  • PennyNickel14
    PennyNickel14 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    I must be one of the odd birds! I have to work out in the morning because it will keep me up if it is within a few hours of bedtime. And I am a sleeper! LOL
  • cschu544
    cschu544 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I get the best out of my work-outs around 10-11pm. I have gone later as well, and I sleep wonderfully. I find that exercise actually helps me sleep
  • L2M1D52
    L2M1D52 Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    I get the best sleep when I workout at night.:happy:
  • spennato
    spennato Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I exercise at night all the time, sometimes as late as 10 and go to bed after I finish working out. I've never had a problem sleeping after. Good luck ;-)

Same here, no problem at all!!
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    It's tough, but I think my body is used to it. It's my only alternative. I workout between 5:30-9pm. I tend to stay awake for a little while, but when I fall asleep... BAM, I am knocked out!
    I think your body can adjust to this new schedule eventually. Good luck!
  • bcampbell54
    bcampbell54 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    A little workout, a hot shower, I'm out before my head hits the pillow
  • rocketpants
    rocketpants Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I workout between 6-7 every night. No problems going to sleep by 11