Is it impossible to lead a fulfilling life when you're fat?

Options
13»

Replies

• dorkazoid4u
    Options
    Hi there,

It seems that I have the opposite concerns as you. I am completely satisfied as a fat person, but no matter how satifying my fat life is, I'm positive it will be a short life. I find it hard to use "thin" as a motivator, because I've never been thin, so all of my ideas of the future involve me as fat.

The truth I'm coming to understand is that food cannot be my companion, food cannot fulfill my mind like it will my stomach, and food will always be there. I'm working on choosing other activities to entertain my boredum. I realizing that the "stuffed" feeling does not allow me to enjoy food as much. I know that I'm truly not "missing out" by passing on some food or only eating a small amount, because food will always be around me.

Self-defeating thoughts do their job...DEFEAT YOU! Let's look forward and be open-minded about our goals, plans, actions, and options.

My question was: Can my health be enough of a motivation, because I don't care if I'm thin?
    Now my question is: How can I continue to motivate myself through this life-transforming journey?

Perhaps you can join me in redefining our questions. Perhaps your new question can be something like: How can I change the relationship I have with the food I eat?
  • Robin_
    Robin_ Posts: 105
    Options
    Hugs to you....I totally know how you feel. I ate how I wanted, when I wanted, and how much I wanted until I hit fifty and my health said no more of that! You are young, if you were to cut out a few things that you feel you can do without, and commit to some extra walking or other exercise, you will be okay. Small changes add up big! It's not about dieting, it's about changing the way you eat, and you need to be mentally ready to do that, or it will feel like punishment. The mind rebels against self inflicted punishment!! Life is full of compromises, make a few and carry on! You'll find yourself getting better and better in making better choices and portion contol...without having to give up anything! Life is too short to be unhappy! Live, Laugh, Love!
  • sassiebritches
    sassiebritches Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Hi there,

It seems that I have the opposite concerns as you. I am completely satisfied as a fat person, but no matter how satifying my fat life is, I'm positive it will be a short life. I find it hard to use "thin" as a motivator, because I've never been thin, so all of my ideas of the future involve me as fat.

The truth I'm coming to understand is that food cannot be my companion, food cannot fulfill my mind like it will my stomach, and food will always be there. I'm working on choosing other activities to entertain my boredum. I realizing that the "stuffed" feeling does not allow me to enjoy food as much. I know that I'm truly not "missing out" by passing on some food or only eating a small amount, because food will always be around me.

Self-defeating thoughts do their job...DEFEAT YOU! Let's look forward and be open-minded about our goals, plans, actions, and options.

My question was: Can my health be enough of a motivation, because I don't care if I'm thin?
    Now my question is: How can I continue to motivate myself through this life-transforming journey?

Perhaps you can join me in redefining our questions. Perhaps your new question can be something like: How can I change the relationship I have with the food I eat?

Well said........

I too struggle with food, I think we all do to some degree......I actually was quite thin until my 20's...I then turned to food while torturing myslf through an awful relationship, food came with me into the next AWFUL relationship...I got out of that one too, and food came along. I figured out a way to be a HOT fat girl, never lacked a date out every night of the week, dressed just as revealing and just as diva....just a larger size....I hiked with my friends and could do all they could....but my back hurt....I snore like a lioness, I sweat in uncomfortable places and I cant see my own........feet or anything below my apron of a belly and so many other factors that come with being fat. I want to be thin because I want to be able to do..... I wanna give myself a chance to be healthy again, a side benefit is sexy.

Hang in there honey, make a smaller goal.....20 pounds at a time......you will see soon you will be at the total goal....

My thoughts....hang in there
  • Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member
    Options
    Hugs to you....I totally know how you feel. I ate how I wanted, when I wanted, and how much I wanted until I hit fifty and my health said no more of that! You are young, if you were to cut out a few things that you feel you can do without, and commit to some extra walking or other exercise, you will be okay. Small changes add up big! It's not about dieting, it's about changing the way you eat, and you need to be mentally ready to do that, or it will feel like punishment. The mind rebels against self inflicted punishment!! Life is full of compromises, make a few and carry on! You'll find yourself getting better and better in making better choices and portion contol...without having to give up anything! Life is too short to be unhappy! Live, Laugh, Love!
    :drinker: :heart: :drinker: :heart: :drinker: So very well put Robin:flowerforyou:
  • Fitness_Chick
    Options
    This post is awesome. I absolutely needed all of the responses in this post. I had not been eating so healthy over the last week and this is exactly what I needed to remember my goals and reasons for wanting to be healthy. Thanks to everyone who responded!!!

It's amazing isn't it, how a post from one person can effect so many of us and get us thinking and provide help for us as well. :noway: :flowerforyou:

See Lindsay:wink: ...it's so awesome that you took the time to post, you'll never know how many folks here were affected by your words!!:heart:

FC:heart:
  • Fitness_Chick
    Options
    thanks for all of the replies. there are many great points, and i'm going to take all of them to heart. i feel alot better today and look forward to tomorrow as well.
    :flowerforyou: Glad you feel better today:bigsmile:
  • dorkazoid4u
    Options
    Life can totally be fulfilling! You just need to adopt a brighter outlook on life. I seem to have the opposite problem. I've been struggling with weight-loss because I'm happy with myself and my life. However, I desperately need to lose weight because my obesity is taking its toll on my body. If you want, you can check out my blog: http://www.journeyto153lbs.blogspot.com/.

Good luck!