OATS = THIN

Heard of several foods that help you get thin. Aside from water veggies like broccolli, leafy greens, good lean protien, nuts, fish oil (pills, model swear by)...etc

OATS. WHOLE GRAIN to be exact. Whole grain oats each day will improve your overall fat burning. I was doing the Dukan (when i could afford to, not its each what we have in the house or starve cause we are broke) and noticed myself loosing 5 lbs in like 2 days. now i do think that its partly the low carbs, low sugar, low fat too, but i've read several places where they say women who eat oats have less belly fat, less overall.

need more oats in my diet!

Replies

• lor007
    lor007 Posts: 884 Member
    Oats are good, especially the whole grain ones. :flowerforyou:
  • Christina1007
    Christina1007 Posts: 179 Member
    Oats are yummy! I'll definitely read more about this. OK, so if you try eating more oats with milk, that will actually not help you lose weight but increase it. Try buttermilk instead.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Whole grain oats each day will improve your overall fat burning.
    Where did you hear this?
  • VeganGal84
    VeganGal84 Posts: 938 Member
    I hope that's true, since I eat whole grains at least twice a day, usually 3 or more. :-) And I almost always have oatmeal for breakfast.

Whole grains are very healthy and very filling, so I know that they have been a big part of my weight loss success and my improved health, but I wouldn't say that "oats = thin".

It's always a good idea to add more whole grains to your diet, and to replace any simple carbs with complex ones!
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Where is Joe when you need him...
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Oats are my nemesis! I too believe they are one of the healthiest foods we can eat, but I just can't stand the texture traditional cooked oats (American). I have tried just about every recipe and type of cut (including steel cut).

I do sometimes eat them raw with pb and maple syrup as a treat or in a granola bar. I have also started adding the steel cut oats in with other grains like brown rice and found that if I use a 2 to 1 ratio (2 parts rice) the texture isn't bad.
  • steffiejoe
    steffiejoe Posts: 313 Member
    From what I've learned Oat Bran is a low GI food. It is suppose to reduce your appetite and it has a good amount of Fiber. I started eating it when I did Dukan. It keeps me full until lunch time and some days I am not really hungry at lunch. Its now a staple in my diet. I also read it minimizes stress.

For me it works. I eat Oat bran M-F before I head to work.
  • wrevhn
    wrevhn Posts: 864 Member
    Oats are my nemesis! I too believe they are one of the healthiest foods we can eat, but I just can't stand the texture traditional cooked oats (American). I have tried just about every recipe and type of cut (including steel cut).

I do sometimes eat them raw with pb and maple syrup as a treat or in a granola bar. I have also started adding the steel cut oats in with other grains like brown rice and found that if I use a 2 to 1 ratio (2 parts rice) the texture isn't bad.

maybe try soft oat bread? or whole grain oat flour? something to side step the texture issue.
  • Gigi_licious
    Gigi_licious Posts: 1,185 Member
    Where is Joe when you need him...

Exactly.
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    I'm here.

OP- Those links you provided aren't studies or scientific research backing up your statements.

Could you please cite some studies proving that Oats cause you to lose weight and burn fat?

Thanks.
  • bcattoes

maybe try soft oat bread? or whole grain oat flour? something to side step the texture issue.

Good idea. I don't eat much bread or flour though.
  • bcattoes
    I'm here.

OP- Those links you provided aren't studies or scientific research backing up your statements.

Could you please cite some studies proving that Oats cause you to lose weight and burn fat?

Thanks.

Now, now joe. Studies don't "prove" things. Not even a point.
  • wrevhn
    wrevhn Posts: 864 Member
    I'm here.

Thanks.

I apologize, I'll look..... (google)
  • joejccva71
    I'm here.

Thanks.

Now, now joe. Studies don't "prove" things. Not even a point.

You mean even the ones you try to post with a harvard-science tag on it, Bcatts? Now now. Let's not start juggling pots and kettles. ;)
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Have you even READ any of these articles? This one completely does not support your view:

(from Livestrong):
    No Foods Burn Fat
    The National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases explains that no foods help burn fat, no matter how much fiber or how few calories a certain food contains. Oatmeal is no exception to this rule; you will not burn body fat by eating oatmeal. Fat burning is a result of burning more calories than you consume on a daily basis. You can achieve this by exercising more to burn more calories or by simply lowering your caloric intake by eating less food. Ideally, both exercising and lowering your caloric intake will most efficiently help you create a caloric deficit.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    I'm here.

Thanks.
    sigh........ can't someone share what's working for them without a put down anymore? She mentioned it's working for her... it was her opinion, we all have one and are entitled to one on here. Or as least I thought so..

We all have different methods that work for each of us.. one method may not work for another that works great for someone else. It's wonderful to have choices in life!:flowerforyou:
  • joejccva71
    I'm here.

Thanks.

I apologize, I'll look..... (google)

My friend, if you would have simply stated that these foods (oats, whole wheat, grains, nuts, sweet potatoes, etc) have complex carbs in them so they keep people fuller longer because they take longer to burn so in turn they cause people to eat less so they lose more weight, then we wouldn't be carrying on looking for joe schmoe blogged articles. =)
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    I'm here.

Thanks.
    sigh........ can't someone share what's working for them without a put down anymore? She mentioned it's working for her... it was her opinion, we all have one and are entitled to one on here. Or as least I thought so..

We all have different methods that work for each of us.. one method may not work for another that works great for someone else. It's wonderful to have choices in life!:flowerforyou:
    When someone makes the claim that oats cause you to more efficiently burn fat, YES they should be able to back it up or it's a load of crap. We ARE all entitled to an opinion so why can't others differ? That's the point of a forum...not for a circle jerk, pat on the back fest.
  • MikeSEA
    MikeSEA Posts: 1,074 Member
    I'm here.

Thanks.

the OP did explain what worked for her, but she also made generalizations about it. Specifically,
    Whole grain oats each day will improve your overall fat burning.

And while I suppose it's possible, it would better phrased as something other than bold assertion.