OATS = THIN

Options

Replies

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,021 Member
    Options
    TEF (Thermic effect of feeding): The calorie expenditure associated with eating. REGARDLESS of what myths you have been told - this is NOT dependent on MEAL FREQUENCY. It is a % of TOTAL CALORIES CONSUMED (and 15% of 3 x 600 cal meals is the same as 15% of 6 x 300 cal meals). It varies according to MACRONUTRIENT content and FIBER content. For most mixed diets, it is something around 15%. Protein is higher (up to 25%), carbs are variable (between 5-25%), and fats are low (usually less than 5%). So -> More protein and more carbs and more fiber = HIGHER TEF. More FAT = LOWER TEF.
    Exactly.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I'm here.

OP- Those links you provided aren't studies or scientific research backing up your statements.

Could you please cite some studies proving that Oats cause you to lose weight and burn fat?

Thanks.

Now, now joe. Studies don't "prove" things. Not even a point.

They are the closest thing to proof we can come up with. If you have a better method of "proving" things, please enlighten us with your wisdom.

Over time, many varied studies all providing similar evidence, that is the closest we come to proof (though still not proof). But posting a handful of links to studies as proof? There are thousands of studies done every year. To point to a few and call it "proof" is nonsense. Or, to use a term popular on this site, it's "cherry picking".
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options
    I love when people explain things way above my comprehension level, I can just back and think about how hot it is...*sigh*
  • strawberryromper
    strawberryromper Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    ... I don't like oats. >.>
  • Gigi_licious
    Gigi_licious Posts: 1,185 Member
    Options
    I am truly enjoying my popcorn and just sitting this one out. :)

May I have some popcorn while I watch?

*sits down with popcorn*

Me too....extra butter please.

I only have vegan "butter" that cool? It's soy free!

Sounds good to me!! Ooooh, is it earth balance? I LOVE earth balance butter!
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    I'm here.

OP- Those links you provided aren't studies or scientific research backing up your statements.

Could you please cite some studies proving that Oats cause you to lose weight and burn fat?

Thanks.

They are the closest thing to proof we can come up with. If you have a better method of "proving" things, please enlighten us with your wisdom.

Over time, many varied studies all providing similar evidence, that is the closest we come to proof (though still not proof). But posting a handful of links to studies as proof? There are thousands of studies done every year. To point to a few and call it "proof" is nonsense. Or, to use a term popular on this site, it's "cherry picking".

Depends on who is doing the study to be honest.

Bcatts for you, you swear by Harvard-Science.

For me, I swear by the National Institutes of Health funded by the United States Department of Health and Human Services. All the NIH does is studies all day long. I live near their facility. It's the size of a small city.
  • TheDeviation
    Options
    Despite the arguing of facts, steel cut oats are awesome! Once you've had them, you won't go back to "instant/quick" oats. Great way to help get your fiber in.
  • bcattoes
    Options
    sigh........ can't someone share what's working for them without a put down anymore? She mentioned it's working for her... it was her opinion, we all have one and are entitled to one on here. Or as least I thought so..

We all have different methods that work for each of us.. one method may not work for another that works great for someone else. It's wonderful to have choices in life!:flowerforyou:
    I see this sentiment a lot. It does sound good, but misses something really important. This is a health and fitness community. I think that statements about health and fitness should be backed up with some evidence. Asking for evidence isn't attacking. It isn't a put down. Heck, it's not even disagreeing. It is simply asking for evidence.

I'm all for the idea of different things working for different people. Example: I believe that meal frequency is a preference (has no direct effect on weight loss) and one large meal a day may work great for some people. But for me, it wouldn't work. Just not how I like to eat, and I get way too grumpy going more than a few hours without calories. But see the difference? I'm not challenging the science. I'm simply stating what works for me.

Here's the really funny part. Asking for evidence actually *promotes* a healthy "do what works for you" attitude. It allows people to make an EDUCATED choice about their diet and fitness.

Of course, that is all my opinion. Which you are welcome to dismiss.

I agree totally on this one. If I am stating something as a fact, I expect to get challenged on it. If I state something that should be questioned as far as it being harmful or unhealthy, I expect to get challenged on it. If the OP had commented that eating oats every day has helped her with her weight loss, the rest of this discussion would never have happened.

To be fair, the OP never said it was a fact that oats burn fat. She said she'd read it many times and needed to eat more oats. The first (that she'd read something many times) is a "fact" only she could know. The second was an opinion of sorts. I suppose if we wanted to be technical, whether she "needed" to eat more oats could be ground for discussion, though personally I think interpreting that as "it is a fact that I need to eat more oats" is a bit of stretch. And again, not really something any of us could know the truth of.
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    I like grits.
  • ABetterBalance
    Options
    I'm here.

Thanks.

You mean even the ones you try to post with a harvard-science tag on it, Bcatts? Now now. Let's not start juggling pots and kettles. ;)

Statistically speaking, people who juggle burn more calories than those who do not. Especially if they do it while eating oats AND avoiding sugar.
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    I'm here.

Thanks.

You mean even the ones you try to post with a harvard-science tag on it, Bcatts? Now now. Let's not start juggling pots and kettles. ;)

Statistically speaking, people who juggle burn more calories than those who do not. Especially if they do it while eating oats AND avoiding sugar.

LOL ...nice =)
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    My cat's breath smells like cat food.
  • bcattoes
    Options
    I'm here.

Thanks.

Depends on who is doing the study to be honest.

Bcatts for you, you swear by Harvard-Science.

For me, I swear by the National Institutes of Health funded by the United States Department of Health and Human Services. All the NIH does is studies all day long. I live near their facility. It's the size of a small city.

I take the advice of the Harvard School of Public Health (and others), which is different. Harvard does plenty of studies, but more importantly they study and compare other studies to get the most comprehensive body of nutrition knowledge. That's why my links are usually to their recommendations, rather than individual studies (though they recommendation links do include plenry of references to studies).

I also never say they prove anything. Just that I find their advice to be sensible and evidence based, which is the most we can hope for.
  • MikeSEA
    MikeSEA Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options

To be fair, the OP never said it was a fact that oats burn fat. She said she'd read it many times and needed to eat more oats. The first (that she'd read something many times) is a "fact" only she could know. The second was an opinion of sorts. I suppose if we wanted to be technical, whether she "needed" to eat more oats could be ground for discussion, though personally I think interpreting that as "it is a fact that I need to eat more oats" is a bit of stretch. And again, not really something any of us could know the truth of.

She specifically said--in the initial post-- that eating oats each day will help me burn fat. Suggesting that it really an opinion even though it's stated as a fact is stretching things a bit.
  • ABetterBalance
    Options
    but i've read several places where they say women who eat oats have less belly fat, less overall.

This may be true for some, but not for everyone. I wish is WAS that simple, though.

Even at my most fit, belly fat was always an issue. Whole grains (oats and otherwise) have been a part of my diet since I began eating solid foods 27 ish years ago.

It's easy to stumble across articles online that will say one food or another will help reduce belly fat/burn more fat/boost your metabolism/turn you into superman overnight. It's just hard to find articles that make these claims AND have the science to back them up.
  • Sublog
    Sublog Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    I'm here.

Thanks.

What Joe said was correct. Those are columns written on the internet. Means jack squat. There are zero peer reviewed studies out that proving that oats helps you lose more fat than a similar calorie substitute. With that being said, you can eat oats and lose weight. But also, I can eat ice cream and lose weight too. I guess that means that ice cream makes you thin, right? Correlation =/= causation .
  • wrevhn
    wrevhn Posts: 864 Member
    Options

i am enjoying those of you who are cutting humor into this thread. we can always use a good laugh. everyone can agree laughter is healthy at least. (well, ppl can fight about any stupid ol' thing actually)
  • bcattoes
    Options
    I'm here.

Thanks.

What Joe said was correct. Those are columns written on the internet. Means jack squat. There are zero peer reviewed studies out that proving that oats helps you lose more fat than a similar calorie substitute. With that being said, you can eat oats and lose weight. But also, I can eat ice cream and lose weight too. I guess that means that ice cream makes you thin, right? Correlation =/= causation .

If Joe said that I missed it. My reply was to his request that the OP provide a link "proving" that oats burn more fat than other foods. Obviously there is no study proving that because studies don't prove things.

correltation =/= causation would be a good example of why one or two studies don't prove anything.
  • bcattoes
    Options

i am enjoying those of you who are cutting humor into this thread. we can always use a good laugh. everyone can agree laughter is healthy at least. (well, ppl can fight about any stupid ol' thing actually)

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21280463

Just in case you are asked for "proof" :laugh:
  • wrevhn
    wrevhn Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    I personally am a simple southern girl. with simple standards on happiness. there was a time when "ol' wives" passed around unproven knowledge that today still works. i don't really need to have every detail pounded out to death in front of me to see the point. study or no study... oats = good. unless your allergic. guess there is always a factor to disprove any absolute.

really not worth the fighting. did not mean to start such a fire. i do however appreciate those who are being nice and helpful vs annoying and negative. no reason to ruffle each others feathers so.

its all good.

ps.
    i'm sure there is a way some fantastic lovable person could pick. picking at every little unimportant detail is SUCH a honorable and desirable talent.