15 grams of sugar a day! IT WORKS!

Options

Replies

• alyssamiller77
    alyssamiller77 Posts: 891 Member
    Options
    Interesting approach, certainly would do much to lower your calories since between 6 servings of carbs and only 15g of Sugar, there really isn't much left to put on calories. Glad to hear it's working for you.

Personally I could never do that. I'd go insane only being able to eat foods that kept me to that low of a sugar total. But again congrats to you if it's working for you, hopefully others will find it helpful too.
  • myiceisonfire
    myiceisonfire Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    15 grams of sugar...that means you can have 0 fruit..no thank you.

I eat fruit, blue berries, raspberries, etc.... have half a banana instead of a whole banana.... Did you even watch the video?
  • foremant86
    foremant86 Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options

I eat fruit, blue berries, raspberries, etc.... have half a banana instead of a whole banana.... Did you even watch the video?

i can't say as I did, i don't like gimmicks.
  • DomLessSome
    DomLessSome Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    oh.my.goodness! This is insane, also because I've never really thought about my sugar intake in that way before. Especially the oastmeal - that was a shocker. Thanks for the advice, I think I am going to trial this, this week.
  • myiceisonfire
    Options

gimmick? He's a nutritionist, he's not trying to sell anything to anyone. He's trying to teach people to be even healthier with food choices. Don't bash it til you've tried it.
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    For you, is this reasonable and sustainable for the rest of your life?

Yes. But just like calories for everyone, some days we're over & some days we're under. For now I've been very strict to not go over 15. I think in the long run some days I may eat more, but never over 20. It's all about learning which foods are better for you "sugar-wise" anyway

Remember when you first started MFP and cut out the junkfood? It wasn't easy. But after a while it became 2nd nature to know what to eat & what not to eat.

Actually, for me, I've never cut out junk food. I drink beer, eat McDonalds... *kitten*, I even have cupcakes... but I found a plan that I can stick with for the rest of my life - treating myself when I need it/want it, being mindful and healthy when I don't. I don't have any medical condition that requires I restrict any one food type or nutrient, so I just eat EVERYTHING in moderation. IMeversoHO, the majority of the people on MFP can be successful and make their weight loss long-term by doing the same.
  • foremant86
    foremant86 Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options

gimmick? He's a nutritionist, he's not trying to sell anything to anyone. He's trying to teach people to be even healthier with food choices. Don't bash it til you've tried it.

I took the time to watch and the video and all I can say is DUH. Everything in that cart was a bunch of processed crap, of course cutting out all of those things is going to be healthier, I think most of us already know that. but there's absolutely no need to stay at 15grams of sugar or less a day. He's so against counting calories but he wants you to count sugar instead, so I can eat 3000 calories of meat because it contains no sugar and i'll be golden right? no not so much.

If it works for you then great, i'm glad, but there is honestly no reason to go to an extreme like this. Same with people who try to eat less than 25g of carbs a day, it's not necessary and people are just looking for quick fix when in reality they won't likely sustain these eating habits for life so they'll just end up putting the weight on again

(edited for typos, man it's hard typing with a puppy sprawled in your lap)
  • myiceisonfire
    Options

Yes. But just like calories for everyone, some days we're over & some days we're under. For now I've been very strict to not go over 15. I think in the long run some days I may eat more, but never over 20. It's all about learning which foods are better for you "sugar-wise" anyway

Remember when you first started MFP and cut out the junkfood? It wasn't easy. But after a while it became 2nd nature to know what to eat & what not to eat.

Actually, for me, I've never cut out junk food. I drink beer, eat McDonalds... *kitten*, I even have cupcakes... but I found a plan that I can stick with for the rest of my life - treating myself when I need it/want it, being mindful and healthy when I don't. I don't have any medical condition that requires I restrict any one food type or nutrient, so I just eat EVERYTHING in moderation. IMeversoHO, the majority of the people on MFP can be successful and make their weight loss long-term by doing the same.

I agree, completely! I didn't mean cut it out all together. I still eat whatever I want, but in moderation too. But when we first started MFP and cut back it wasn't easy. It's the same concept. =)
  • SunshineKisses_2012
    SunshineKisses_2012 Posts: 471 Member
    Options

This. I don't deny myself EVIL FOOD from EVIL MCDONALDS because I know myself too well. Have I cut it down? Absolutely, but I haven't cut it out completely. I have a life and being worried about 15 grams of sugar a day is not something I can sustain. I'm glad you found a "plan" that works for you.
  • cynthiaj777
    cynthiaj777 Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    Appreciate the love!!!!
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    Appreciate the love!!!!
    :heart:
  • Richdogg38
    Options
    The caveat in this all is that the article states "If you have been counting calories and it has not been working..."
  • mrshickey
    mrshickey Posts: 239
    Options

i dont think reducing sugar intake is a 'gimmick'. im sure sugar intake was one of many reasons people are here. i have reduced my sugar and its worked for me- i will no doubt have good days and bad days, but i think the person was just trying to suggest something that may work for someone else. if people dont want to watch their sugar they dont have to, but to the OP i think its a good idea, it helped me too and maybe it can help other people.
  • jsteinwandt
    Options
    Do you know how I can see my daily sugar goal???
  • myiceisonfire
    Options
    Do you know how I can see my daily sugar goal???

Food-> Settings-> and then you can add sugar, fiber, etc .... you can even change the order you see them in. To me I think sugar and sodium in the more important things i had to cut back on, so i put those first
  • HerpDerp745
    HerpDerp745 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    The caveat in this all is that the article states "If you have been counting calories and it has not been working..."

"... then you're doing it wrong."
  • jsteinwandt
    Options
    thank you! Thats awesome!
  • bcampbell54
    bcampbell54 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    This is probably true f the main source of your intake is sugar and carbohydrates, as is the case for a whole lot of people in the west.
  • DerpdyHerp
    Options
    Any time you restrict a large group of food you've effectively implemented calorie restriction. So whatever trick works for you, knock yourself out. But there is nothing magical about 15 g of sugar. That's just woo woo.
  • raqufern
    raqufern Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    OMG the girl was just sharing what she has been doing and what has worked with her. For all those being negative, she is not trying to force you to do this. Also, she is not looking for a quick fix because she has been working very hard to get to where she is now. The body needs sugar as a form of energy, which it can get from the Carb portions. Don't forget that all that excess sugar in our body will get stored as fat.

Great Job Girl, if it works for you keep doing it!