women who lift heavy

Options

Replies

• mideon_696
    mideon_696 Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    hrmm...some crazy strong women! like!

275lbs is getting up there for girls too!! great stuff.
  • sara_m83
    sara_m83 Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    This is crazy inspiring.
  • deninevi
    deninevi Posts: 934 Member
    Options

Question for you all: who can do a pullup or a chinup? And if for reps, any weighted ones? It seems to be quite a difficult task for women (and men as well I guess :tongue:)

I can't do pull up or chin up yet. I hope I can do them someday, soon.
  • TluvK
    TluvK Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Question for you all: who can do a pullup or a chinup? And if for reps, any weighted ones? It seems to be quite a difficult task for women (and men as well I guess :tongue:)

I used to HATE them...I still hate them, but I like them better because I can do 8 unassisted now. It just takes time and a TON of practice. Form is important too. You need to focus on using your back muscles, not just your arms and you have to go down all the way, slowly. It took me about a year to get to where I am now. I take a class where we typically do about 30 + pull-ups each class - I use the bands when I can't do any more. The bands are GREAT.
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options

3 unassisted chin ups
    No unassisted pull ups yet, working on it.
  • MayMaydoesntrun
    MayMaydoesntrun Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    bump
  • HeatherFeather10
    Options

I used to HATE them...I still hate them, but I like them better because I can do 8 unassisted now. It just takes time and a TON of practice. Form is important too. You need to focus on using your back muscles, not just your arms and you have to go down all the way, slowly. It took me about a year to get to where I am now. I take a class where we typically do about 30 + pull-ups each class - I use the bands when I can't do any more. The bands are GREAT.

I can do 2-3 unassisted and use the bands for the rest.
    I did however do 25 hanging knees to elbows the other day!!!
  • Niveous
    Niveous Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    how often do you lift? how heavy? Also how many calories do you eat a day and have you lost or gained weight?

2-3 times a week. As heavy as I can. A lot - enough to properly fuel my body and my workouts. I try to net between 1,800-2,000 calories per day, but eat upwards of 2,000-2,600 calories (I eat all of my exercise calories). I have lost (a lot of) weight as I am still running a calorie deficit. Eventually I'd like to transition to a small calorie surplus and concentrate on adding some muscle, but that's a bit farther into the future.

I feel like I could have just said "a lot" in order to answer all of your questions. :tongue:
  • TluvK
    TluvK Posts: 733 Member
    Options

NICE!! I think I hate knees to elbows more than pull-ups!
  • HeatherFeather10
    Options

NICE!! I think I hate knees to elbows more than pull-ups!

I know HN2E used to be my nemesis - but I've learned to embrace them - I am finally able to bring feet to bar so that's cool!!!
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    Thanks girls :smile: very impressive!
  • ritajean3
    ritajean3 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    so put me as 7.5kg plus the kg bar so aprox 18lbs on my shoulders. I did 10kg plus the bar so 24lbs but I couldn't lift the third set *cry* so girly
  • mamitosami
    mamitosami Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Wow! Seriously inspiring! I've been lifting 'light' for years and getting NOWHERE! Now I know why, I just started a new program loosely based on NROLW a couple of weeks ago and I'm loving it! I want to keep an eye on this thread.

Nice work everyone!!!!
  • deninevi
    deninevi Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    Wow! Seriously inspiring! I've been lifting 'light' for years and getting NOWHERE! Now I know why, I just started a new program loosely based on NROLW a couple of weeks ago and I'm loving it! I want to keep an eye on this thread.

Nice work everyone!!!!

Here is a group of ladies that are currently doing NROLFW, in dif. stages of the program. I have the special WO left of stage 1 and love it!
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/372438-new-rules-of-lifting-for-women-group-part-2
  • beccamh
    beccamh Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    i am just looking to see what works for everyone else. I lift heavy 4 days a week and do cardio 4 days a week. Sunday is my rest day. i started eating more around the same time i started lifting and i gained weight so i do not know if it from lifting or if i am eating too much.. i eat about 1700-2200 calories a day but according to my bodybugg i burn 2400-3400 calories a day so i do not understand why i am gaining.?!?!

Did you just start out? It can take up to 2 months to see the scale number drop because of water weight gain from DOMS. I have to keep repeating that to myself as I only lost 0.6 pounds last month, lol. But I know it is working because my clothes are looser. I am just going to add in more cardio now and preserve that strength that I gained last month. It will work out, don't give up!

This happens to me too! My clothes are falling off but I've only lost 6lbs. After heavy leg days I 'gain' at least 3lbs back lol.
  • HeatherFeather10
    Options
    So Ladies who Lift - anyone hit any new PR's?
  • osorio1
    Options
    Bump
  • KareninCanada
    KareninCanada Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    You gals are awesome!

I'm just starting New Rules.... this week I did:

lat pulldown 75lb and 90lb
    deadlift 65lb (including the big bar)
    squat 40lb (not including the barbell's weight as I don't know it)
    shoulder press, stepups and lunges just using the smaller dumbbells from 7-15 lb
  • Sixalicious
    Sixalicious Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Bump. No time to read, but I'm about to start lifting again with my husband. I'm excited!!!
  • embersfallen
    embersfallen Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    bump to read later :)