Hey You Protein Experts!!!!

Options
2»

Replies

• Sunshine_Girlie
    Sunshine_Girlie Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    Get your BMI reading. If you are a sedentary person, you need .7 grams of protein a day for every pound of LEAN body mass. If you are more active it could go as high as .9 or 1 gram per pound of lean body mass. This is important to know because excess protein, just like excess anything else in your body will be stored as fat. Most people however don't eat enough protein. I like Jillian Micheal's chocolate whey protein powder---$9 at Walmart. Blend it in a blender with a cup of ice, cup of water, splash of cream or half and half and 2 scoops of powder....mmmm mmmmm good.

You are wrong it will only get stored as fat if she is in a calorie surplus..... go work at GNC.

Oh and bmi is off for a lot of people! According to BMI Im considerd obese. A better way to know where you stand is a bodyfat reading.

Well, I know I'm overweight and there's no denying it. How exactly do you find out your body fat?
  • aproc
    aproc Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    Taking in so much protein at a time does your body no good. It's not all going to be used up like you would want. And too much of any nutrient is bad for you.
    And unless you are vegetarian, odds are you don't need to be using protein powder unless you just like it... I use powder every once in a while since I don't eat much meat anyways regularly, but without it, I still meet and usually go above the protein I need without even trying. I believe more in getting it through real food. (And the copious amounts of peanut flour I use for peanut butter probably helps. Ha)
    Anyways, but if you want to use it as a meal replacement, go on ahead if you like it. It still comes down to calories and getting essential nutrients..Wouldn't harm you, just won't make much of a difference either. I wouldn't completely trust the people working at GNC and other stores. I've listened to a guy working there tell me complete lies I knew from my exercise science major. He was just trying to sell the stuff and wasn't going to school for any health related major.
  • gp79
    gp79 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    There are a number of ways to do it. You can look around, some YMCA's do it, some Gym's offer it or you can buy yourself a set of Accu-Measure calipers and have a significant other / friend check it for you. There are a number of different tests that can be performed with the calipers. Youtube will be your friend.