Building the lower back

Options
2»

Replies

• Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Key areas when dealing with back issues are tight hip flexors and weak glutes. I have had more people realize relief from doing hip abduction exercises and hip flexor stretches than from all the crunches and back extension exercises combined. Balance training is helpful as well.
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    I would say deadlifts. I know they're free weights but (with good form!) they should really help your lower back.

Is there anyone you can go with, or get one of the staff at the gym to show you? Youtube videos on it, and start off really light, because seriously the form is everything with that, especially if you have previous back problems.

I agree. Skip the fluff.
  • jskaggs1971
    jskaggs1971 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    I'd check with your doc about starting Pilates. It's a great program for strengthening and stabilizing your core muscles.
  • jenthestrawberry
    jenthestrawberry Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Key areas when dealing with back issues are tight hip flexors and weak glutes. I have had more people realize relief from doing hip abduction exercises and hip flexor stretches than from all the crunches and back extension exercises combined. Balance training is helpful as well.

Wow! Thanks for this. After a heavy walking/running day yesterday my back was tight and sore this morning!

I have a training routine that is very core strength based, and I know I have "built" a strong lower back. As I've added more running to the routine, it's caused more and more back pain, though! Even though I've really worked hard to ensure proper running form. I was worried it was because of my belly jiggling and bouncing. I've had some temporary relief in the past with a twisting hip stretch, but never anything complete or lasting. When I saw your post here it caused me to google some hip flexor stretches and I found a great Hip Flexor Sports Massage and PNF Stretching video. My fiancé helped me emulate the isometric stretch coupled with some quad massage, and my lower back tension has completely relaxed! Thanks, again! Now I can keep up my routine today, instead of a day lost to back tension!

This is the video I found/emulated for anyone else whose interested.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvK3G9neg7I
  • AZackery
    AZackery Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    I have a lower back issue too. Pilates is good. I love my stability ball. I've worked out with one for the first time doing Supreme 90 Day. It's good for the back.

Core exercises are good for the back as well. Core Rhythms is good.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    Agree here. Not to mention one of the number one reasons for a bad back is TIGHT HAMSTRINGS. Lack of flexibility in them cause them to "pull down" on your lower back.
    The one recommended exercise I would advise is Stiff Legged deadlifts. This will work the glutes and hamstrings as well as the lower back. But I would have a pro teach it to you so you learn the form correctly. Good luck.
  • nam14uk
    nam14uk Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    Some really useful info and links in this post. I occasionally suffer with my lower back so am going to add in some of what has been suggested. Thanks! And good luck to the OP - hope you get some relief soon.