I need lower calorie breakfast options! Help!

Options
1235»

Replies

• tschmelzer
    Options
    the cranberries are what get you. They are shockingly high in sugars and calories so chop up that apple you had and put it in your oatmeal instead. Also try egg whites with an english muffin. i have three or four egg whites and then a toasted english muffin. Sometimes I put cheese on the muffin other times not. It is a great breakfast that gets you going. Also try greek yogurt w an apple and walnuts instead of the oatmeal. You will get a lot more protein that will stick with you throughout the morning. Try 1% milk too w your coffee. that will cut some calories all by itself.
  • rita27ny
    rita27ny Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    Have you tried unsweetned cocoa in your oatmeal? its soo good and only 10 calories.
  • akgirl42
    akgirl42 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I dont count my coffee or creamer which I tend to drink throughout the work day. I figure if I still lose weight it is not an issue. For breakfast I eat instant oatmeal or some good cereal. That tends to make the breakfast about 200 to 300 calories. I figure I burn off enough at the gym.
  • pambeane
    pambeane Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Drop the dried cranberries and go for a fresh or frozen fruit (like blueberries). When you add nuts to anything you'll see a spike in calories, you just have to decide if the benefits outweigh the costs. Also, go with fruit on your oats or eat the apple (or cut up the apple and put it on your oats) not both, you're getting a lot of fiber that way, but a ton of sugar too.

my thoughts exactly. A few mornings each week I eat oats (the large single portion!) with a tablespoon of reduced-sugar blueberry preserves (and a stevia packet if i want it sweeter). I allow myself 2oz. of half and half for my morning coffee and I'm still only at 334 calories. Give it a try! <3
  • joyzoso
    joyzoso Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I have been doing 1 banana, 2 boiled eggs, and one rice cake with 1 tbsp almond butter
    and cup of coffee with almond butter
    (I have been adding just a touch of honey and cinnamon on the rice cake, but honey adds up quickly!!!)
    I also want to try and cut down to one egg for calories

great ideas though

I've also been incorporating a small sweet potato that I have boiled or baked the night before, plain or with some cinnamon to substitute for the rice cake with almond butter
  • joyzoso
    joyzoso Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    sorry cup of coffee with almond milk not almond butter!!!! that would be some intense thick coffee!
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    Time to cook: 2 eggs scrambled with chopped onion and 1 tsp. butter, whatever fresh veggies you have on hand (love asparagus in mine), 2 T. shredded cheese (or not), topped with roasted chipotle (or your fave) salsa. Side of fresh strawberries and raspberries. About 250 cals.

In a rush: banana + mozzarella cheese stick + hard boiled egg. Fully portable, nice mix of carb and protein and only 250 cals. Eat in car on the way to starbucks for Iced tall soy 1-pump pumpkin spice latte (110 cals).

blessings.
  • kleavitt1992
    kleavitt1992 Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    do you like eggs? 1 egg (scrambled/fried), half slice of cheese, english muffin, and a little ketchup is 250
  • jskaggs1971
    jskaggs1971 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    Here's my go-to breakfast :

Florida's Natural - Orange Juice - Original - No Pulp, 8 fl. oz.
    Bananas - Frozen, 1 small (6" to 6-7/8" long)
    Great Value Frozen Mixed Fruit (No Sugar Added) - Frozen Fruit, 1 Cup
    Fage Total 0% - Non Fat Greek Yogurt, 25 g
    Eas - Premium Protein Powder, 1 scoops

I actually use a different whey protein that I buy from a local natural grocer, but the nutrition from it is about the same. I dump it all in the blender, whip it until it's smooth, add ice cubes to bring it to 24 oz volume, dump it in a go-cup, and I'm ready to get moving, at least once I drink a cup or two of really good black coffee. The whole thing adds up to 374 calories. It's obviously not for the low-carb set, but it works just fine for me.

Then again, I've never been much of a breakfast person. I can;t eat eggs, due to allergies, so I have to come up with something else. If I just eat oatmeal or cereal, I'm ravenous by lunchtime, but the smoothie tides me over until noon or later.
  • slowlysteadily
    slowlysteadily Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Just skip breakfast, 0 calories

That's what I do. I finish dinner at (say) 9pm and then don't eat anything for 15-16 hours so typically 1pm. The only thing I ingest before lunch is a large black coffee or water. Works for me, cuts out several hundred calories and frees up 20-30 mins at the busiest time of my day. Gives me plenty of room to hit my 1600 daily limit with lunch and dinner.

SS

Wow... my body couldn't handle that! Especially if I'm working out in the morning - my blood sugar drops and I pass out. I really find that my system works and feels better when I eat something every 2-3 hours.
    I thought the same. However I got used to it very quickly. I accept that it may not suit everybody. For me the "eating something every 2-3 hours" just ended up with me snacking with very little control, but all power to those who can do it that way. Testament to the diversity of human dietary experience!

SS
  • bnazarian
    Options
    Remove the walnuts and you will be good!
    I have 1/4-1/2 cup oatmeal with 1/4-1/2 cup frozen blueberries and then add a 1/2-1tsp agave and 1/4 cup blue diamond unsweetened almond milk. Its between 100-200 depending on how much you make :-)

You can also add a banana and be satisfied, low fat and healthy! Really, it is filling.

Or have a lowfat/cal cereal (like kashi) and berries, banana and almond milk.