What do you put on your popcorn??

Options
I absolutely LOVE the PopSecret Butter 94% fat-free popcorn! It's only 240 calories for the entire (Big) bag! However you can barely taste the "butter" flavor and I'm getting bored with it and want to mix-it-up. I have tried cinnamon (pretty yum) and I have tried those store-bought toppers you can buy in the store like cheese powder and caramel powder flavors- I think they only add about 15 calories but they taste just so-so. Does anyone have any other cool ideas that add little or negligible calories to my microwave popcorn??

:flowerforyou: Thanks in advance!! -Amber

Replies

• amberca1
    Options
    I absolutely LOVE the PopSecret Butter 94% fat-free popcorn! It's only 240 calories for the entire (Big) bag! However you can barely taste the "butter" flavor and I'm getting bored with it and want to mix-it-up. I have tried cinnamon (pretty yum) and I have tried those store-bought toppers you can buy in the store like cheese powder and caramel powder flavors- I think they only add about 15 calories but they taste just so-so. Does anyone have any other cool ideas that add little or negligible calories to my microwave popcorn??

:flowerforyou: Thanks in advance!! -Amber
  • schoonmp
    schoonmp Posts: 175
    Options
    Have you ever tried Tony Chachere's spicy seasoning on it? That's how I eat my popcorn. Tony Chachere's is a cajun seasoning. Love it. I put it on everything. Pam
  • soopatodd
    Options
    I don't know where you live but if there is a store that carries Kernels seasoning, they are totally awesome. Ketchup is my favourite but they also make a butter salt flavour which I even use on potatoes when I have 'em.
  • renae77
    renae77 Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    I use the Buttery Flavoring I believe most of the flavorings are about 3 calories for 1/4 tsp. I have heard of people putting bbq flavoring on there too.
  • emikarls
    emikarls Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    I put a 100 cal. bag of M&M's in my popcorn.
    :bigsmile:
    LOVE IT!!!!

(thank you Tami for telling me about this)
  • Hannah_Banana
    Hannah_Banana Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    BBQ Sauce. :bigsmile:

My mother was a single mom trying to get through 6+ years of college with mountains of debt so we couldn't afford much in the way of food. Butter was something of a luxury, so I discovered BBQ Sauce works better anyway. :tongue:

I can't eat movie popcorn because they serve it with butter. :sick:
  • sassiebritches
    sassiebritches Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Powdered meat tendorizer, a small amount adds a salty, cheezy, buttery taste...not too much or you will over salt yourself.

GO GREEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • laobgyn
    Options
    I make air-popped popcorn ( with an old fashioned air popper!) and spray it with "I Can't Believe its Not Butter" spray butter and sprinkle it with some salt--- very satisfying if you need a salty crunchy snack! And lots of fiber!
  • j_g4ever
    j_g4ever Posts: 1,925 Member
    Options
    I put a 100 cal. bag of M&M's in my popcorn.
    :bigsmile:
    LOVE IT!!!!

(thank you Tami for telling me about this)

Where do you find the 100 calories bag of m&ms the only ones I have seen is the reg. sized ones that are like 240 calories per bag. :noway: But I would love ot start eating my popcorn like that. That would take care of my sweet tooth
  • gottaluvboyz
    gottaluvboyz Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    I sometimes use paparika or chili powder
  • Wolfena
    Wolfena Posts: 1,570 Member
    Options
    a little cayenne pepper works nicely- as does any flavored steak seasoning.

I honestly like just a few spritzes of butter spray and some salt best... kettle corn is nice for a sweeter change in flavor sometimes too!

I've heard of people using powdered chocolate milk mix on their popcorn, although never tried it myself.
  • amberca1
    Options
    YUM! These are all great ideas! Thanks!!! I'm getting hungry LOL
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,976 Member
    Options
    Cholula seasoning (the sprinkle-on dry version) Spicy-Hot....:explode:
  • BrenNew
    BrenNew Posts: 3,420 Member
    Options
    I make air-popped popcorn ( with an old fashioned air popper!) and spray it with "I Can't Believe its Not Butter" spray butter and sprinkle it with some salt--- very satisfying if you need a salty crunchy snack! And lots of fiber!

That's just what I do, though I don't add any salt. The "I Can't Believe It's Not Butter" spray is great, isn't it?! I even preferred it to real butter on my corn on the cob last summer! :smile:
  • jenachep
    Options
    My favorite popcorn addition is nutritional yeast and garlic granules. You can find the yeast in the bulk food department of most supermarkets and you have to put in on microwave popcorn right away in order to get it to stick. I also like Mrs. Dash sometimes.
  • astridfeline
    astridfeline Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    My favorite popcorn addition is nutritional yeast and garlic granules. You can find the yeast in the bulk food department of most supermarkets and you have to put in on microwave popcorn right away in order to get it to stick. I also like Mrs. Dash sometimes.

MMM yummy. An old friend of mine used to make air-popped popcorn, drizzle on some olive oil, nutritional yeast, and a teensy bit of tamari (soy) sauce. It's delish. :love: :love:
    Garlic granules are a great idea too.
  • greysweatshirt
    Options
    I like putting parmesan cheese on it..it smells bad but tastes SOOO good!
  • Phoenixflame
    Phoenixflame Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    I spritz with PAM, then sprinkle on some cinnamon. YUM.

I have a friend who likes to add chocolate chips. I suppose caramel and toffee chips would also work.

What about coconut? Raisins? Oooohh..I'm getting ideas!
  • MissResa
    MissResa Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    Seasoning salt is good too... It makes it a little spicy and you don't have to use too much.
  • GIBride01
    GIBride01 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Have you ever tried Tony Chachere's spicy seasoning on it? That's how I eat my popcorn. Tony Chachere's is a cajun seasoning. Love it. I put it on everything. Pam

I do Tonys alot also, on air popped popcorn with the no cal Parkay butter spray. Either that or Parkay with Italian seasoning , kosher salr and a bit of grated Peccorino cheese. Hubby loves butter spray with season salt and a few piches of powdered chicken bouillon, sounds strange but he is kinda strange:love: him anways.