What do you put on your popcorn??

Options
2»

Replies

• 1Corinthians13
    1Corinthians13 Posts: 5,296 Member
    Options
    My dad makes the best popcorn ever. He uses a Whirley-pop - half a cup of plain popcorn, 3 tablespoons of olive oil. Makes 3 great sized servings...and of course we add lot of salt. Soooo good. I need to get myself a whirley pop.
  • amberca1
    Options
    ok, so I bought a bunchof fun things to go on my popcorn thanks to all the great ideas! My favorite is....Bacon Salt!!!!!!!!!!! OMG it tastes so good and its salty too :) I also bought something called Kernel Seasonings Popcorn Spray in butter flavor- it helps the stuff stick to the popcorn which i LOVE.

I also bought Kernel Seasonings powder flavor in "cheddar flavor" but get this- it chokes me! I mean it must be something about how fine the powder is but when I smell it or put a popcorn in my mouth the powder inhales up into my lungs! Is that weird or what? Its sort of like when you take a big whiff of powdered pepper except this stuff is not spicy, I don't get it. Everytime I tried to eat a popcorn I started coughing. I had to throw the popcorn away that I had put the powder on! Very strange...
  • hmo4
    hmo4 Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    ok, so I bought a bunchof fun things to go on my popcorn thanks to all the great ideas! My favorite is....Bacon Salt!!!!!!!!!!! OMG it tastes so good and its salty too :) I also bought something called Kernel Seasonings Popcorn Spray in butter flavor- it helps the stuff stick to the popcorn which i LOVE.

I also bought Kernel Seasonings powder flavor in "cheddar flavor" but get this- it chokes me! I mean it must be something about how fine the powder is but when I smell it or put a popcorn in my mouth the powder inhales up into my lungs! Is that weird or what? Its sort of like when you take a big whiff of powdered pepper except this stuff is not spicy, I don't get it. Everytime I tried to eat a popcorn I started coughing. I had to throw the popcorn away that I had put the powder on! Very strange...

I've had that too! Salt and vinegar Kernals seasoning sprinked after butter spray (so it sticks).
  • keiko
    keiko Posts: 2,919 Member
    Options
    My dad makes the best popcorn ever. He uses a Whirley-pop - half a cup of plain popcorn, 3 tablespoons of olive oil. Makes 3 great sized servings...and of course we add lot of salt. Soooo good. I need to get myself a whirley pop.

I just used my Whirly pop! It makes the best popcorn! I only use 2 TBL of canola oil. But I put about 1 TBL of butter on with salt. There isn't anything better!
  • ChannyD
    Options
    I put Brewer's Yeast on my popcorn. You can find it in health food stores. That and just enough butter to make it stick. And of course the occasional M&M finds its way in....somehow....
  • skinnyray
    Options
    Try adding about 1/3 to 1/2 tsp of powdered ranch dressing. It's AWESOME! Had a friend turn me onto it the other day, and now I crave it. Not bad on the calories, either!
  • lilnatn2
    lilnatn2 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Frank's Hot Sauce! So so good.

55359.png[/url]
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Food Diary
  • LisaZaugg1976
    LisaZaugg1976 Posts: 1,144 Member
    Options
    all these ideas sound yummy!!!

I like to try ranch powder sounds interesting.
  • crystal_sapphire
    crystal_sapphire Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    omg i love this thread for ideas

is there a way to save threads :laugh:
  • Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member
    Options
    I put a 100 cal. bag of M&M's in my popcorn.
    :bigsmile:
    LOVE IT!!!!

(thank you Tami for telling me about this)
    ok gonna ask a possible weird question but how many M & M's are in a 100 cal pack?
    Thanks Em or whomever gets to this response first:flowerforyou: :wink:

FC:heart:
  • Fitness_Chick
    Options
    omg i love this thread for ideas

is there a way to save threads :laugh:
    Sure! You can save them to your blog. Just click on your blog and then click January, then click add and it will bring up a place for you to enter thread links to save for future reference:drinker: I do it often on articles I find on the web so I can bump them when someone asks about them later.

• Fitness_Chick
    Options

mmm and for those of us wondering what the heck a whirly-pop might be like me:blushing: ?
    Whirley-Pop-Stovetop-Popcorn_BD60A7.jpg

"Something manual to replace the use of appliances like the microwave oven or a plugged-in popcorn popper - the Whirly Pop, that lets you pop popcorn the old-fashioned way."

Google is our best friend:smooched:

• Fitness_Chick
    Options
    Here's a few add-on's I came across.....

Other nutritional ingredients that can be mix in popcorn are:
    o 1 /3 cup chopped dried fruit provides iron and fiber
    o 2 tbsp. soy nuts gives fiber and calcium
    o 2 tbsp. whole almonds gives protein, iron and fiber
    o 2 tbsp shredded Parmesan cheese gives protein and calcium
    o 10 pretzel sticks gives B vitamins
    o 2 tbsp. pumpkin seeds gives protein and fiber
    o 1 /2 cup dry unsweetened cereal gives iron and B vitamins

*Old Bay Seasoning
    *Honey drizzled
    *GOOD SEASONS Italian Salad Dressing Packet
    *pizza seasoning
    *Agave nectar (a plant-based alternative to honey) and sea salt make an incredible combination, a lot like kettle corn and SO good!
    *I dip my popcorn in vinegar... yumm a favorite. :noway: (has anyone here tried this?)
    *I sprinkle mine with dill, hot sauce, and crushed garlic. Maybe some chili powder.

OK, so there's a few more ideas I dug up on the web for anyone interested in trying out something new & different:drinker:

• Fitness_Chick
    Options
    "This is a recipe from the book "YOU:On a Diet" by Michael F. Roizen, M.D., and Mehmet C. Oz, M.D. (A great book, in my opinion, for the recipes alone).

You need:

1/2 cup popcorn kernels
    Flavored cooking spray (butter, olive oil, garlic)
    Garlic salt or cinnamon
    Place the popcorn in a two-and-a-half quart microwave safe bowl, microwave for four to five minutes (don't burn it!) Pour it on to a baking sheet, coat with spray, and follow with the garlic salt or cinnamon. The nutritional breakdown for this is 61 Calories, fat - .8 g, carbs - 5 g, protein - 1 g, and sodium - 0 g.

Make sure you use about 1-2 seconds of spray at most - with Pam, that's 14 calories. If you use 1/3 second, I really doubt you'll cover the popcorn.

I recommend using olive oil spray for the garlic variety, and butter spray if you're using cinnamon.

Enjoy"

I can't imagine this recipe not being fine with the use of hot-air popped corn as well.
  • Fitness_Chick
    Options
    ah ok, so looks like you can gift this or eat it!:tongue:

Herbal Popcorn Seasoning
    This is a healthy alternative to the traditional salt-coated snack.
    Combine with a bag of organic popcorn and a DVD in a festive bowl adorned with ribbons.

1⁄4 cup dried basil
    1⁄4 cup dried marjoram
    1⁄4 cup dried thyme
    1⁄2 cup nutritional yeast powder
    1 cup cheddar cheese powder
    1⁄4 cup garlic powder
    1⁄8 cup kelp powder

In a grinder, grind basil, marjoram and thyme and mix well with the rest of the ingredients. Store in an airtight glass container away from heat and light. Attach the following instructions on a gift tag:

Sprinkle on lightly buttered popcorn.
    -Recipe courtesy of Kim Erickson
  • drewzaun
    drewzaun Posts: 111
    Options
    I usually air pop kernals and then spray them with a 0 calorie spray like I Cant Believe Its Not Butter or Smart Start butter spray. And the obligatory shakes of salt, but I am constantly working out and can use a little more salt in my diet, if you are not sweating alot every day then limit the extra salt you use in your diet.
  • crystal_sapphire
    crystal_sapphire Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    ah ok, so looks like you can gift this or eat it!:tongue:

Herbal Popcorn Seasoning
    This is a healthy alternative to the traditional salt-coated snack.
    Combine with a bag of organic popcorn and a DVD in a festive bowl adorned with ribbons.

1⁄4 cup dried basil
    1⁄4 cup dried marjoram
    1⁄4 cup dried thyme
    1⁄2 cup nutritional yeast powder
    1 cup cheddar cheese powder
    1⁄4 cup garlic powder
    1⁄8 cup kelp powder

In a grinder, grind basil, marjoram and thyme and mix well with the rest of the ingredients. Store in an airtight glass container away from heat and light. Attach the following instructions on a gift tag:

Sprinkle on lightly buttered popcorn.
    -Recipe courtesy of Kim Erickson

yummy that sounds sooo good
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Im glad to know Im not the only one who love M&M's in their popcorn lol I prefer the peanut ones....