question from a newbie - carbs?

Options
Hello all, I have just joined this week, but have started exercising (running and gym) over the last 3 months.

I am finding it fine sticking within calories, but I always seem to go over in carbs,..... I always eat wholegrain pasta, rice bread etc just wondering what I can eat to cut out some carbs? How do I get the calories without the carbs!

Thanks I look forward to getting to know you :-)

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    lean proteins
    eggs
    nuts
    nut butters
    avocados
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    lean proteins
    eggs
    nuts
    nut butters
    avocados

I second the avocado... its like 'budduh'
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    How do I get the calories without the carbs!

Simple, get them from fat or protein, good luck with your goals :)
  • nikki_fro
    nikki_fro Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Thanks, yes I did think of eggs, could do omlettes for some teas
  • nikki_fro
    nikki_fro Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    everything fatty seems to have lots of carbs!
  • cramernh
    Options
    Nikki.. honestly speaking, I wish I could eat most pastas but Ive got some nasty medical issues going on that make my life a living hell to digest pastas (even whole grain), potatoes, rice, breads, etc.... I do though make sure I get the low glycemic healthy variety of carbohydrates from vegetables, very limited on grains, and fell in love with shirataki noodles - them suckers help me to kick my pasta cravings in the butt!
  • Acg67
    Options

not bacon!
  • cramernh
    Options

not bacon!

Bacon is a moderation-only food. I do love a good fresh salad with real bacon on it....
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options

not bacon!

Bacon is a moderation-only food.

Says who?
  • PB67
    PB67 Posts: 376
    Options

not bacon!

YOU SHUT YOUR MOUTH!!
  • Gigi_licious
    Gigi_licious Posts: 1,185 Member
    Options

not bacon!

Or beef....and not that lean crap either!
  • Gigi_licious
    Options

not bacon!

YOU SHUT YOUR MOUTH!!

:flowerforyou:
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    I could eat an entire package of the Smithfield Double-Thick Cut Bacon right now. Mmmmm...

There are 3 things I cannot do without.

1. Bacon (and lots of it)
    2. Chocolate Milk
    3. Peanut Butter

If you take any of those away from me, you better be packing heavy artillery in your defense. ;-)
  • cbmich1860
    cbmich1860 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Turkey bacon is good too :)
  • PB67
    Options
    Turkey bacon is good too :)

What the? I don't even..
  • AdAstra47
    AdAstra47 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    Replace carbs with protein. Protein is like wood: you can use it to fuel a fire, you can also use it to build a house. Your muscles need the protein to repair themselves when you exercise. But also, the chemical reaction that burns fat requires protein (it's roughly 3 parts fat to 1 part protein). So eating plenty of protein helps protect your muscles and maximize your fat-burning.

Carbs to avoid: the short answer is: sugars & grains & starches.
    And BTW, corn is a grain, not a vegetable, so avoid corn meal, corn syrup, etc.
    If you feel like you must eat carbs, make it natural sugars (fruits) and whole grains with lots of fiber. A good rule of thumb for a beginner is: avoid anything white. White flour, white sugar, white bread, potatoes, rice, pasta.
    Look for higher-protein, lower-carb veggies. Spinach, kale, leafy greens, mushrooms, asparagus, squash, sprouts.

Good higher-protein snacks: hard-boiled eggs, cheese cubes / wedges, Greek yogurt, cottage cheese, beef jerky, a handful of almonds, some peanut butter on celery.

Good luck to you!
  • PB67
    Options
    Replace carbs with protein. Protein is like wood: you can use it to fuel a fire, you can also use it to build a house. Your muscles need the protein to repair themselves when you exercise. But also, the chemical reaction that burns fat requires protein (it's roughly 3 parts fat to 1 part protein). So eating plenty of protein helps protect your muscles and maximize your fat-burning.

If you feel like you must eat carbs, make it natural sugars (fruits) and whole grains with lots of fiber. A good rule of thumb for a beginner is: avoid anything white. White flour, white sugar, white bread, potatoes, rice, pasta.
    Look for higher-protein, lower-carb veggies. Spinach, kale, leafy greens, mushrooms, asparagus, squash, sprouts.

Good higher-protein snacks: hard-boiled eggs, cheese cubes / wedges, Greek yogurt, cottage cheese, beef jerky, a handful of almonds, some peanut butter on celery.

Good luck to you!

Show me on the doll where the bread touched you.
  • Acg67
    Options

Good luck to you!

what makes white bread, flour, rice, potatoes worse that they should be avoided?
  • Gigi_licious
    Options
    I could eat an entire package of the Smithfield Double-Thick Cut Bacon right now. Mmmmm...

There are 3 things I cannot do without.

1. Bacon (and lots of it)
    2. Chocolate Milk
    3. Peanut Butter

If you take any of those away from me, you better be packing heavy artillery in your defense. ;-)

Me too! Those things make the world go round....well, along with cheese.
  • missyyclaire
    missyyclaire Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Just try to take away my pepper coated bacon...you'll be missing teeth!

Hint from my Mom, sift a little flour over uncooked bacon, both sides, roast in a roasting pan at 400º for 10 or so minutes...the fat drips down into the pan and the flour not only keeps the bacon from spattering but also gives the bacon a wonderful texture. I cook the whole package at one time, then refrigerate the leftovers in a ziploc. One minute in the microwave crisps it up. If you put it between 2 paper towels, the paper towels will absorb the excess grease.

Makes for a great BLT