question from a newbie - carbs?

Options

Replies

• bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Try switching some of the pasta and bread for healthy proteins like nuts, nut butters, lean meat, beans. Also make sure you are getting enough fat (again, nuts and nut butters, olive oil, avacado). I know fats have a lot of calories but adding just a little can really help you feel full longer. Getting your carbs from whole grains, vegetables and fruits is great but the recommendation is pretty high so if you are going over and staying within your calories there's a chance you are not getting enough fat and/or protein.
  • Gigi_licious
    Gigi_licious Posts: 1,185 Member
    Options
    Turkey bacon is good too :)

:sick:
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    Replace carbs with protein. Protein is like wood: you can use it to fuel a fire, you can also use it to build a house. Your muscles need the protein to repair themselves when you exercise. But also, the chemical reaction that burns fat requires protein (it's roughly 3 parts fat to 1 part protein). So eating plenty of protein helps protect your muscles and maximize your fat-burning.

Carbs to avoid: the short answer is: sugars & grains & starches.
    And BTW, corn is a grain, not a vegetable, so avoid corn meal, corn syrup, etc.
    If you feel like you must eat carbs, make it natural sugars (fruits) and whole grains with lots of fiber. A good rule of thumb for a beginner is: avoid anything white. White flour, white sugar, white bread, potatoes, rice, pasta.
    Look for higher-protein, lower-carb veggies. Spinach, kale, leafy greens, mushrooms, asparagus, squash, sprouts.

Good higher-protein snacks: hard-boiled eggs, cheese cubes / wedges, Greek yogurt, cottage cheese, beef jerky, a handful of almonds, some peanut butter on celery.

Good luck to you!

Explain to me what is wrong with eating carbs.
  • bcattoes
    Options
    Gosh, what's with the bacon obsessions?
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    Fruit is good if you are eating to much carbs. It gives you fiber without as much carbs and you can eat more of it and fill fuller too.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    everything fatty seems to have lots of carbs!

not bacon!

Bacon is a moderation-only food. I do love a good fresh salad with real bacon on it....

Now the moderators are cracking down on bacon too!?!? :sad: Figures.
  • _Doreen_
    _Doreen_ Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I could eat an entire package of the Smithfield Double-Thick Cut Bacon right now. Mmmmm...

There are 3 things I cannot do without.

1. Bacon (and lots of it)
    2. Chocolate Milk
    3. Peanut Butter

If you take any of those away from me, you better be packing heavy artillery in your defense. ;-)

too funny! :bigsmile:
  • armaretta
    armaretta Posts: 851 Member
    Options

not bacon!

Bacon is a moderation-only food.

YOU SHUT YOUR MOUTH!!
    Took me a minute, as my brain is shot from working all day, but as I was reading through the posts, I stopped on your signature and almost choked on my pumpkin seeds laughing :flowerforyou:
  • joejccva71
    Options

Bacon is AWESOME!
  • bcattoes
    Options

Bacon is AWESOME!

Eh, it's okay. I like it occasionally. But this thread makes it seem as if it's a necessity.
  • Gigi_licious
    Gigi_licious Posts: 1,185 Member
    Options

Bacon is AWESOME!

I concur....and I am soo trying that one posters flouring the bacon idea! Om nom nom!
  • Iceskatefanrn
    Iceskatefanrn Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

YOU SHUT YOUR MOUTH!!
    [/quote]
    Took me a minute, as my brain is shot from working all day, but as I was reading through the posts, I stopped on your signature and almost choked on my pumpkin seeds laughing :flowerforyou:
    [/quote]

I had to go back and look at "YOU SHUT YOUR MOUTH!!!" post to see the signature pics...

Coworkers pausing in the hallway as I let out a SNORT with my laughter! Awesome!

:drinker:

Ice
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    Just remember, the meat food group has the most fat content out of all the food groups. Also, fiber helps absorb fat before the body can, so keep eating lots of fiber.
  • armaretta
    armaretta Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    Just remember, the meat food group has the most fat content out of all the food groups. Also, fiber helps absorb fat before the body can, so keep eating lots of fiber.
    Fat is not the enemy. Overindulgence is the enemy. All things in moderation!
  • czechsmate
    czechsmate Posts: 556 Member
    Options

not bacon!

Bacon is a moderation-only food.

YOU SHUT YOUR MOUTH!!

:laugh: I don't know who you are but you seriously make me "laugh out loud"...not such a great thing when you are supposed to be working ;-)
  • joejccva71
    Options

Bacon is AWESOME!

Eh, it's okay. I like it occasionally. But this thread makes it seem as if it's a necessity.

It's a necessity for me. Any foods with SFA's are a necessity for me, Bcatts. ;-)
  • czechsmate
    Options
    Turkey bacon is good too :)

Turkey bacon tastes and looks like my dogs "beggin strips" :sick:
  • czechsmate
    Options
    Replace carbs with protein. Protein is like wood: you can use it to fuel a fire, you can also use it to build a house. Your muscles need the protein to repair themselves when you exercise. But also, the chemical reaction that burns fat requires protein (it's roughly 3 parts fat to 1 part protein). So eating plenty of protein helps protect your muscles and maximize your fat-burning.

Carbs to avoid: the short answer is: sugars & grains & starches.
    And BTW, corn is a grain, not a vegetable, so avoid corn meal, corn syrup, etc.
    If you feel like you must eat carbs, make it natural sugars (fruits) and whole grains with lots of fiber. A good rule of thumb for a beginner is: avoid anything white. White flour, white sugar, white bread, potatoes, rice, pasta.
    Look for higher-protein, lower-carb veggies. Spinach, kale, leafy greens, mushrooms, asparagus, squash, sprouts.

Good higher-protein snacks: hard-boiled eggs, cheese cubes / wedges, Greek yogurt, cottage cheese, beef jerky, a handful of almonds, some peanut butter on celery.

Good luck to you!

Show me on the doll where the bread touched you.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :noway:
  • lockef
    lockef Posts: 466
    Options
    No bacon, No life... Know bacon, Know life.

Amen... praise the lard!
  • MikeSEA
    MikeSEA Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    Can't we do this bobby-fisher chess style, where we all know what the various responses in the "carb discussions" are going to be before they happen and just nod pleasantly