Coffee....good or bad

Options
2»

Replies

• pnieuw
    pnieuw Posts: 473
    Options
    I cling to the study that suggested a link between coffee consumption and lower instances of Parkinson's. Pour me another mug...
  • casi_ann
    casi_ann Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I love my coffee. I don't think any food is bad as long as you eat it in moderation. I couldn't stay on a diet if it was too strict. And no coffee would definitely be too strict for me. Actually coffee helps me stick to a diet because I can eat a small snack with a coffee and it feels like a big snack by the time I drink the coffee with it.
  • adjones5
    adjones5 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    Really I think just see how it affects your body and judge from there. If I drink one cup a day I'm good to go but if I drink more than that I gain a little. I think everyone is different.
  • KayteeBear
    KayteeBear Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    I couldn't live without coffee...okay so I could for a little while (I'm not the type who needs at least two cups a day to get me going) but every now and then I just crave coffee! But the key is not to load it with sugar and/or creamer. Black is best but it's okay to have a bit of sugar...I usually drink it black but sometimes I want flavoured coffee or sugary coffee so I do use creamer every so often.
  • norma67
    norma67 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Coffee is great. Creamer and sugar pollute its greatness.

I completely agree!!! :drinker: :wink:
  • NineInchGirl
    Options
    Black coffee is A W E S O M E S A U C E ! !
  • jenna25
    jenna25 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I love love love coffee. I use truvia (a zero calorie natural sweetener) and unsweetened almond milk. So good try it. Artificial sweeteners are not healthy. Just stick to one or two cups a day.
  • LilacLizabeth
    LilacLizabeth Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I have a cup of mcdonalds coffee (I bring my own almond milk) and take it with 1 sugar. I will not give it up =)
  • tschmelzer
    Options
    Coffee is actually proven to be good right before a workout. I gives you a boost of energy and gives your metabolism a kick start so you can really work hard. But like everyone else I agree that loading it up w sugar and creamer kinda makes it lose its great purpose. Try to use something like stevia and find a nonfat creamer that doesn't have a lot of preservatives in it. Doing that every few days should be fine :)
  • AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    Coffee goood!!!.

Critics BADDDD!

Hey, it speeds up your metabolism. plus it is loaded with anti-oxidants. How can that be bad?
    When you bury it with cream, sugar, taste changing yuk, then it is nasty.

I suppose if you have hypertension, you may want to avoid it.

agreed!
  • LJCannon
    LJCannon Posts: 3,636 Member
    Options
    I have a cup of mcdonalds coffee (I bring my own almond milk) and take it with 1 sugar. I will not give it up =)
    McDonald's has the BEST Coffee!!
    :drinker: I heard on the Radio today that Coffee MAY help prevent certain types of Skin Cancers?
  • thor1god1of1awesome
    thor1god1of1awesome Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    If I didn't coffee there would be some dead people in the morning LOL
  • gp79
    gp79 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    If you like it, drink it. If you're worried about calories, drink it black. Coffee is going to be the least of your worries.
  • LJCannon
    LJCannon Posts: 3,636 Member
    Options
    If I didn't coffee there would be some dead people in the morning LOL
    Agreed!! And I would be typing this from Jial!!
  • mandasimba
    mandasimba Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    Neither good or bad, it is essential!

If you like flavor in your coffee but are worried about the added calories and if you are in the US live near a Trader Joe's, try some of their seasonal coffees. Ground coffee with real spices mixed in as opposed to flavored beans which most other flavored coffee is. It has real flavor while I find most others to be just aeromatic.

You can easily make it on your own too. Since it is the season, try adding a tablespoon or so of pumpkin pie spice to your coffee grounds (depending on how much you make at one time) before brewing.

A little unsweetened cocoa powder is also a tasty addition to grounds.
  • BecksgotBack
    BecksgotBack Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    coffee...big and black...is good. me before coffee is bad.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Black coffee = good

Coffee with milk and sugar = OK if you have room in your diary for the calories.

Fake flavours/sweeteners/pretend milk/vegetable oil masquerading as cream = odd.
    Personally I don't see the point, but hey if they work for you, go for it!
  • meredithd13
    Options
    i did a bit of research in to how much caffeine is okay to drink. my mum has very bad osteoperosis in her spine, and it's largely attributed to her drinking a lot of coffee for a lot of her life (she's 78 now) and also not doing much weight bearing exercise.

as far as i understand it, caffeine leaches calcium from the body. i don't drink caffeine any more as i'm trying to get pregnant (well, hardly ever. i have a coffee about once a month and really enjoy it, but i also enjoy not having to rely on it for a pick-me-up). i'm really conscious of it since my mum cracked three of her ribs when dad gave her a bear hug, and a fourth one when she tripped in the garden. and earlier this year, she tripped over a rug and broke her back in three places. she now has a hump on her back that will never go away.

osteoperosis is something you don't usually find out that you have until it's waaay too late. and then it can cause all sorts of issues (as my mama has experienced).

i'm super careful about calcuium - but there are a zillion other things to be careful of and it's hard to keep track of all of them. maybe do some internet research and make up your own mind.

coffee, made well, tastes good. it's a little cup of heaven. maybe take some calcium supplements.