Why do low carb?

Replies

• adross3
    adross3 Posts: 606 Member
    O.K. this is my personal take on carbs. 1. I try to restrict carbs. 2. I eat most of my Ccarbs before exercise. 3. All carbs spike blood sugar. 4. Scarbs will store fat. 5. Muscles and brain function whilst working out need glucose to perform at peak.

"A calorie is a calorie and 3,500 equals 1lb+/-"

I completely disagree. After loosing 28lbs of fat and gaining 14lbs of body mass, I caught a cold. Being lathargic and tired from my illness, I found myself eating fast food. Most fast food is a carb/fat/protein ratio. My fitness diet is a protein/fat/carbs diet. I kept my calorie count under whilst being sick. I went from 11% BF to 13% BF.

Q. How can I gain fat while consuming a calorie deficit?
    A. Carbs store fat.
    Q. How do I really know my calorie count whilst being sick?
    A. A bodybugg. Proven to be accurate. Love it. I'm not affiliated.

After getting well, I went back to clean eating and back down to 11.1% BF.
  • LabRat529
    LabRat529 Posts: 1,323 Member
    I'm gonna keep harping on this... but do a search on http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/

Do a search with "low carbohydrate diet" or "ketogenic diet" and read. Reviews tend to be a bit easier for the lay person to understand... but the info is there for all.

From my own research, I think low-carb has it's place, but it's not the end-all, be-all of diet solutions. There are advantages and disadvantages. I personally think the average person should focus on a balanced diet with carbs, proteins, and veggies. But for some people (like diabetics), low-carb seems pretty smart.
  • PB67
    PB67 Posts: 376
    A. Carbs store fat.

Um, no.

"Only when CHO energy intake exceeds TEE does DNL in liver or adipose tissue contribute significantly to the whole-body energy economy. It is concluded that DNL is not the pathway of first resort for added dietary CHO, in humans."

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10365981

500 grams carbs all at once
    total fat synthesized via DNL = 3-4 g

http://www.ajcn.org/content/45/1/78.abstract
  • Russellb97
    Russellb97 Posts: 1,057 Member
    Carbs can be destructive because of insulin and high blood sugar. Glucagon is a hormone that burns fat through lipolysis. It's night/day from insulin, it can't be released when insulin has been.

Glucagon-Good and Insulin- Bad
    for fat burning.

So we need to keep our blood sugar stable to increase the use of fat for energy. Carbs that are low on the Glycemic index scale are just fine. Ones that are high, can be OK too, if we combine them with fiber, protein, and good fats to slow the absorption.

This is one of the reasons why I eat most of my carbs at night. I slowly increasing my carb intake from none for breakfast, until my largest meal, dinner, where I have between 50-100. I lessen the impact of the carbs on my blood sugar. The opposite of those who wake up from a several hours fast to eat the typical high energy/high carb breakfast.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3508745

This way I don't have to give up carbs completely, which for me is awesome, because I am a carb-guy!
  • PB67
    Carbs can be destructive because of insulin and high blood sugar. Glucagon is a hormone that burns fat through lipolysis. It's night/day from insulin, it can't be released when insulin has been.

for fat burning.

Then why don't carbophobes fear protein?

Insulin-protein-carbohydrate-test.png
    Comparison of insulin response between low protein, high carb meal and high protein, low carb meal

http://weightology.net/weightologyweekly/?page_id=319

So we need to keep our blood sugar stable to increase the use of fat for energy. Carbs that are low on the Glycemic index scale are just fine. Ones that are high, can be OK too, if we combine them with fiber, protein, and good fats to slow the absorption.

GI? Really?

http://alanaragon.com/elements-challenging-the-validity-of-the-glycemic-index.html
    This is one of the reasons why I eat most of my carbs at night. I slowly increasing my carb intake from none for breakfast, until my largest meal, dinner, where I have between 50-100. I lessen the impact of the carbs on my blood sugar. The opposite of those who wake up from a several hours fast to eat the typical high energy/high carb breakfast.

Did you even read the study?

"Minimal changes of hormonal circadian rhythms were documented suggesting that the hypothalamus-hypophysis network is scarcely affected by meal timing. Weight loss did not vary in both short- and long-term protocol."
  • Russellb97
    Russellb97 Posts: 1,057 Member

for fat burning.

Comparison of insulin response between low protein, high carb meal and high protein, low carb meal

GI? Really?

http://alanaragon.com/elements-challenging-the-validity-of-the-glycemic-index.html

"Minimal changes of hormonal circadian rhythms were documented suggesting that the hypothalamus-hypophysis network is scarcely affected by meal timing. Weight loss did not vary in both short- and long-term protocol."

Weight loss same, fat loss higher in the 18hr meal.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    low carbs because they aren't actually necessary.

Protein & fat required. If in deficit, higher protein to preserve muscle mass is important. Fat's important for proper hormonal functions. Carbs are leftover and if the choice is to have carbs or protein & fats then I'd be choosing proteins and fat.

Having said that, short term only for me. I like to carb cycle.
  • PB67

for fat burning.

GI? Really?

Weight loss same, fat loss higher in the 18hr meal.

LULZ. Learn to read a study before posting.

Acute lipid oxidation is not the same as fat loss. Not to mention the statistically insignificant sample size.
  • LilMissFoodie
    LilMissFoodie Posts: 612 Member

This is a terrible study. I can't access the entire article but even the abstract gives it away! The biggest subject group was 15 people and the 'long term' branch of the study was 18 days.... barely even worth documenting. When somebody repeats their processes with several hundred participants over at least 6 months then I'll look more at their methods (and results!).
  • LabRat529

Protein & fat required. If in deficit, higher protein to preserve muscle mass is important. Fat's important for proper hormonal functions. Carbs are leftover and if the choice is to have carbs or protein & fats then I'd be choosing proteins and fat.

What do you mean by "fat's important for proper hormonal functions"?

I can't think of any endocrine system that requires fat. The steroid hormones require cholesterol, but our bodies make that. We don't need to get it from our diet. Am I forgetting something? (I might be... endocrinology was a long time ago).

Carbs aren't really "leftover". They're pretty important to our biology. We use them for energy, yes, but we also use them to synthesize DNA/RNA (Ribose is a 'sugar'), various glyco-proteins, and well really... a whole bunch of things. Plus, our brains really really really like glucose. Neurons can survive on ketones, but they'd rather have glucose.

I'm still not saying 'low carb' is bad (low carb is not no-carb)... just... I respectfully suggest that it's a bad idea to think of carbs as some throw-away molecule that we don't need.
  • asyouseefit
    asyouseefit Posts: 1,265 Member
    Protein and fat tend to be more satiating than carbs, so some find it easier to restrict calories (whether they choose to believe it or not).

This. I've recently changed my macros and went from 55-30-15 to 40-30-30. I now have a hard time reaching 1200 net while I was always a bit over before!
  • mideon_696
    mideon_696 Posts: 770 Member

I can't think of any endocrine system that requires fat. The steroid hormones require cholesterol, but our bodies make that. We don't need to get it from our diet. Am I forgetting something? (I might be... endocrinology was a long time ago).

Carbs aren't really "leftover". They're pretty important to our biology. We use them for energy, yes, but we also use them to synthesize DNA/RNA (Ribose is a 'sugar'), various glyco-proteins, and well really... a whole bunch of things. Plus, our brains really really really like glucose. Neurons can survive on ketones, but they'd rather have glucose.

I'm still not saying 'low carb' is bad (low carb is not no-carb)... just... I respectfully suggest that it's a bad idea to think of carbs as some throw-away molecule that we don't need.

so we dont need fats??
  • LabRat529

so we dont need fats??

We need fats too. Sorry if it sounded like I was saying we don't. We do. We need some carbs (even if it's low carbs), some fats, some proteins, and of course vitamins and minerals.

I don't think we should be demonizing one nutrient over the other... as so many have already said, it's about the quality of the nutrient, not about the nutrient itself. There are good carbs, good fats, good proteins, etc... None of them should be considered 'unnecessary'.
  • lookpretty
    lookpretty Posts: 276 Member
    Im not sold on any of the low carb diets or theories on why carbs make people hungry or put on weight, what I do know is if I eat bread in particular I crave cheeseburgers within a few hours and am very hungry the day of and after, potatos and rice dont do this to me but bread anc crackers do
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,152 Member
    Fat isn't very satiating on it's own, while carbs can be.
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    If calories in vs calories out is the most important factor, why do people do low carb? What are the benefits?

Most people that are successful with low carb lifestyles are those of us with broken Metabolic and Endocrine systems due to Thyroid issues, PCOS, Diabetes, Adrenal Gland Fatigue, IBS, etc...........
  • Grokette
    Fat isn't very satiating on it's own, while carbs can be.

Fat is satiating while carbs are not. Carbs leave you hungry shortly after eating them and wanting / craving more and more and more.

Fat and protein will keep you full and satisfied for hours and not even thinking about food.
  • Low carb diets/lifestyles help people to lose weight quickly.Personally I couldn't do it. I like my ancient grains toast for breakfast with PB and enjoy sandwhiches on whole grain bread too much. Some people say that whole wheat is actually bad for you, but I can't see how that is.....
  • Grokette

There is NO dietary need for carbs. I am sorry, but the truth is, we don't NEED carbs for survival. Carbs are purely a WANT, not a NEED. There is a whole community committed to ZERO carb eating and they are healthier than most people I see today.

Cholesterol is the mother of all fat molecules in our bodies. We literally run on the stuff. It maintains neurotransmitter and brain function, builds brain and nerve tissue, and nourishes the immune system. It provides the insulation around nerves that transmit electrical impulses. It is a keystone of normal cell function and mood regulation and helps us digest fat-soluble vitamins like A, D, E and K. Importantly for women, many of our most important hormones, including estrogen and progesterone, are made from cholesterol.

Low-fat, low-cholesterol diets can be very unhealthy, especially for women. Why? Because all our major hormones are made from cholesterol: estrogen, progesterone, cortisol, DHEA, and testosterone. If we don’t eat enough, our bodies divert cholesterol from our endocrine system to use for brain function and repair. When that happens, it’s almost impossible for our bodies to maintain hormonal balance. Hot flashes, here we come!

Our brains aren’t fooled by “fake fat” (trans fats and sugar added to low fat and no fat food) either. Real fat breaks down slowly over 3-4 hours after eating. Eating fat in combination with other foods (especially carbohydrates) slows digestion and signals the brain that you’re full — so you stop wanting more. (You can imagine being hungry after eating a bag of chips — but not after drinking a glass of coconut oil).

Fat substitutes trigger the promise of fat through enzymes in the mouth but never deliver: they don’t break down the same way in the GI tract. Waiting for the real deal, the brain continues to transmit a “still hungry — eat more” message to your stomach.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    O.K. this is my personal take on carbs. 1. I try to restrict carbs. 2. I eat most of my Ccarbs before exercise. 3. All carbs spike blood sugar. 4. Scarbs will store fat. 5. Muscles and brain function whilst working out need glucose to perform at peak.

"A calorie is a calorie and 3,500 equals 1lb+/-"

I completely disagree. After loosing 28lbs of fat and gaining 14lbs of body mass, I caught a cold. Being lathargic and tired from my illness, I found myself eating fast food. Most fast food is a carb/fat/protein ratio. My fitness diet is a protein/fat/carbs diet. I kept my calorie count under whilst being sick. I went from 11% BF to 13% BF.

A. Carbs store fat.
    Q. How do I really know my calorie count whilst being sick?
    A. A bodybugg. Proven to be accurate. Love it. I'm not affiliated.

After getting well, I went back to clean eating and back down to 11.1% BF.

::sigh::

not even sure where to start...
This discussion has been closed.