Why do low carb?

Replies

• hockey7fan
    hockey7fan Posts: 281 Member
    If calories in vs calories out is the most important factor, why do people do low carb? What are the benefits?

I have Celiac disease so I can't consume wheat, oats, barley and rye anyway. Since I started low carb Primal, I have given up both my GERD meds, my antidepressant and one of my BP meds. I'm working on losing the weight to get rid of the other 2 BP meds.

I feel better. I sleep better. I have more energy. My osteoarthritis doesn't bother me as much. I don't get cravings any longer. I know I'm eating really healthy foods.

I was doing Weight Watchers before going Primal and was not losing weight as consistently even though I stuck to my points goal. Now the weight comes off easily and I'm always satieted. I love steak!

I had a high fasting blood sugar level and my doctor sent me to a dietitian. She put me on a low-carb diet. She works exclusively with diabetics and has seen great success with the low-carb diet and having those who are pre-diabetic regulate their blood sugar back to normal.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,152 Member
    Fat isn't very satiating on it's own, while carbs can be.

Fat is satiating while carbs are not. Carbs leave you hungry shortly after eating them and wanting / craving more and more and more.

Fat and protein will keep you full and satisfied for hours and not even thinking about food.
    No, actually take a look at any satiating scale or study and you'll see that fat, calorie for calorie is the least satiating. A bit of a myth, mostly perpetuated by the fanatical low carb sect. Also saying carbs in general makes people want to eat more is again a biased statement....some carbs do, not all carbs and not for all people.
  • Gigi_licious
    Gigi_licious Posts: 1,185 Member
    More meat, more fat....benefit would be that it tastes good.
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Ummm...wow.

I'm wondering if I should just back out of this thread before it gets pretty ugly that might cause me to either get a warning from a mod or worse.

*slowly backs out*
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member

Fat is satiating while carbs are not. Carbs leave you hungry shortly after eating them and wanting / craving more and more and more.

Fat and protein will keep you full and satisfied for hours and not even thinking about food.
    No, actually take a look at any satiating scale or study and you'll see that fat, calorie for calorie is the least satiating. A bit of a myth, mostly perpetuated by the fanatical low carb sect. Also saying carbs in general makes people want to eat more is again a biased statement....some carbs do, not all carbs and not for all people.

I beg to differ and I have read numerous studies that beg to differ with your statement also.

I am not going to debate or argue. After 8 years of being on a low carb plan and then a short time of being off a low carb plan I know what is satisfying to me and many, many others.
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    I haven't read the responses but I'm sure there's lots of fighting. Here's what I have found for *me*: I don't seem to be able to "stay full" with most starchy carbs. For example, I used to love to eat a breakfast of steel cut oats with some apple and milk. Super high fiber and filling, right? Not so much for me. I would be ravenously hungry an hour later. I added egg whites for some protein but I would still be hungry seemingly right away after breakfast.

So I took out the oats and apple and added some bacon or sausage or leftover chicken/fish/beef from dinner the night before and whatever fibrous veggies I happen to have. I stopped throwing out the yolks and also added cream instead of non-fat milk to my coffee or tea.

Now I don't get hungry until at least noon.

I try to lay off the starchy carbs until dinner, when I usually have sweet potato or squash or something with my meal.

Eating this way has made it easier for me to not want to eat my entire kitchen while I am working during the day. And, for me, that is good for weight loss/maintenance.
  • terrellc1
    terrellc1 Posts: 231 Member
    I personally don't eat many carbs. My carbs are mostly all from fruits & vegs. ... Also pasta, rice, bread make me just feel sick and very bloated. Xx

Within the past year, I was diagnosed with IR. What a relief it was to finally know why I had trouble losing weight and woud feel physically sick and lethargic after eating a high carb meal (which was often!). It has been almost a year since my doc put me on Atkins, and I can honestly say that I have never looked AND felt better in my entire life. In addition to losing almost 40 pounds, my hair and skin are so much healthier, and my outlook on life has never been better.

Do I miss bread and pasta? YES! Do I miss the way I look and feel when I eat them? NO FREAKING WAY!

Most people would not be able to stick with my way of eating...and thus go back to their old habits. But this is what works for ME and others who are in my position.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,152 Member

I beg to differ and I have read numerous studies that beg to differ with your statement also.

I am not going to debate or argue. After 8 years of being on a low carb plan and then a short time of being off a low carb plan I know what is satisfying to me and many, many others.
    I hear ya.........I also consume a low carb diet. Most satiety studies show fat with other foods so it's difficult to differentiate. Calorie for calorie refined carbs high in fat are the least satiating while low fat carbs like potatoes and beans are off the charts, as is fish, so it's not easy to figure out, that's for sure.
  • kennethmgreen
    kennethmgreen Posts: 1,759 Member
    Protein and fat tend to be more satiating than carbs, so some find it easier to restrict calories (whether they choose to believe it or not).

This is why I believe low carb works. You simply eat less calories to get hungry. It's still calories in vs. calories out, but eating protein somehow forces you to eat less calories total.

I eat more of a balanced protein/carb diet. I tend to get moody and sleepy on low carb, and I overeat on higher carb. I'm more of an in the middle kinda person. Be we just gotta find what works for us.

Simply saying that carbs makes you fat is horribly incorrect and I that's one of the myths that bugs me the most.
    Each sentence of your post clicked together, like little Legos of Reason.
  • LabRat529
    LabRat529 Posts: 1,323 Member
    low carbs because they aren't actually necessary.

Protein & fat required. If in deficit, higher protein to preserve muscle mass is important. Fat's important for proper hormonal functions. Carbs are leftover and if the choice is to have carbs or protein & fats then I'd be choosing proteins and fat.

Having said that, short term only for me. I like to carb cycle.

What do you mean by "fat's important for proper hormonal functions"?

I can't think of any endocrine system that requires fat. The steroid hormones require cholesterol, but our bodies make that. We don't need to get it from our diet. Am I forgetting something? (I might be... endocrinology was a long time ago).

Carbs aren't really "leftover". They're pretty important to our biology. We use them for energy, yes, but we also use them to synthesize DNA/RNA (Ribose is a 'sugar'), various glyco-proteins, and well really... a whole bunch of things. Plus, our brains really really really like glucose. Neurons can survive on ketones, but they'd rather have glucose.

I'm still not saying 'low carb' is bad (low carb is not no-carb)... just... I respectfully suggest that it's a bad idea to think of carbs as some throw-away molecule that we don't need.

There is NO dietary need for carbs. I am sorry, but the truth is, we don't NEED carbs for survival. Carbs are purely a WANT, not a NEED. There is a whole community committed to ZERO carb eating and they are healthier than most people I see today.

Cholesterol is the mother of all fat molecules in our bodies. We literally run on the stuff. It maintains neurotransmitter and brain function, builds brain and nerve tissue, and nourishes the immune system. It provides the insulation around nerves that transmit electrical impulses. It is a keystone of normal cell function and mood regulation and helps us digest fat-soluble vitamins like A, D, E and K. Importantly for women, many of our most important hormones, including estrogen and progesterone, are made from cholesterol.

Low-fat, low-cholesterol diets can be very unhealthy, especially for women. Why? Because all our major hormones are made from cholesterol: estrogen, progesterone, cortisol, DHEA, and testosterone. If we don’t eat enough, our bodies divert cholesterol from our endocrine system to use for brain function and repair. When that happens, it’s almost impossible for our bodies to maintain hormonal balance. Hot flashes, here we come!

Our brains aren’t fooled by “fake fat” (trans fats and sugar added to low fat and no fat food) either. Real fat breaks down slowly over 3-4 hours after eating. Eating fat in combination with other foods (especially carbohydrates) slows digestion and signals the brain that you’re full — so you stop wanting more. (You can imagine being hungry after eating a bag of chips — but not after drinking a glass of coconut oil).

Fat substitutes trigger the promise of fat through enzymes in the mouth but never deliver: they don’t break down the same way in the GI tract. Waiting for the real deal, the brain continues to transmit a “still hungry — eat more” message to your stomach.

You know what? You could be right. I can't find anything on pubmed that says carbs absolutely must be in your diet... probably because it would be impossible to do a 100% carb free diet unless you ate nothing but purified protein and lipids.

So maybe you can live without a dietary source of carbs. Who knows?

I know absolutely that carbs are essential to life, however. Maybe our bodies can make all the carbs they need... I really don't know. I don't remember every single biochemical pathway I've ever learned... so... I can't say for sure if you can synthesize all the carbs you need from protein and fat. But regardless, you DO need them. You are a composite of proteins, fats, carbohydrates, vitamin, and minerals... oh... and water. That's what makes up the fleshy thing called a body you walk around in.

P.S. You missed my point in your argument... maybe I didn't word it correctly or maybe you were looking for a fight. My point was not about whether people need or don't need fats, need or don't need cholesterol, need or don't need carbs. My original point was that carbs are not some throw-away molecule that people should be caviler about. I don't believe in vilifying carbs. I don't believe in vilifying proteins, fats, or anything else, not even sodium or sugar. We don't need boogymen when it comes to dieting. They don't help us. And propagating the myth of boogymen doesn't help either.

P.P.S. Cholesterol is not the mother of all fats. Fatty acids are. Cholesterol can be synthesized from fatty acids.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,332 Member
    I just love it that everyone gets so passionate and willing to give long, :yawn: advice about this over and over, day after day.

Well done, you.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    I think people like being part of a club or a movement.
  • LabRat529
    LabRat529 Posts: 1,323 Member
    I just love it that everyone gets so passionate and willing to give long, :yawn: advice about this over and over, day after day.

Well done, you.

Yah... it's called boredom. :) Getting involved in long conversations about nothing important is more fun than writing the research paper I'm supposed to be writing on Gender, Hormones, and Alzheimer's disease.

You don't have to read it if you're not interested. There are plenty of topics to keep your interest. Pick one you like.
    123456654321 Posts: 1,311 Member
    This topic is posted like every day and the more I read peoples comments on it, the more confused I get.

I eat a very high carb diet. Not intentionally. It just happens that every day I'm over on carbs and often times I am under on protein and fats....I know, I'm bad. Most ALL my carbs are from fruits and veggies (I hardly EVER eat bread, pasta or anything like that) ....I'm just not a big meat eater. I keep hearing that I'll feel fuller longer and have more energy if I up my protein and lower my carbs, but every time I have tried to do this it seems to have the opposite effect on me. After a high protein meal, I'm hungry soon after. I think there's something wrong with me.
  • questionablemethods
    This topic is posted like every day and the more I read peoples comments on it, the more confused I get.

I eat a very high carb diet. Not intentionally. It just happens that every day I'm over on carbs and often times I am under on protein and fats....I know, I'm bad. Most ALL my carbs are from fruits and veggies (I hardly EVER eat bread, pasta or anything like that) ....I'm just not a big meat eater. I keep hearing that I'll feel fuller longer and have more energy if I up my protein and lower my carbs, but every time I have tried to do this it seems to have the opposite effect on me. After a high protein meal, I'm hungry soon after. I think there's something wrong with me.
    Maybe *you* won't/don't feel fuller longer. (Also, for me, I don't think it is a matter of high protein meals, but moderate protein, higher FAT meals.)

Maybe *you* won't/don't feel fuller longer.

...................isn't that what I just spent that whole paragraph saying? I'm confused.
  • questionablemethods

...................isn't that what I just spent that whole paragraph saying? I'm confused.
    I was just backing you up. You said that you keep hearing that "[you'll] feel fuller longer, etc" and I was saying (as you were) that that might not be the case for you. It doesn't mean anything is wrong with you. What works for me (and many others) might not work for everyone.

(And I was clarifying that, for me, I feel like it is not purely about upping protein but also upping fat, which I, personally, find incredibly filling.)
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Nobody ever left a big pie of beef jerky in the office kitchen the way they do with cupcakes and chips. If you say no to all carbs, there are just fewer temptations. But really, it's a nasty diet and often not sustainable in the long term. Counting calories and eating a balanced diet without too many hard and fast rules is the best long-term solution.

I was just backing you up. You said that you keep hearing that "[you'll] feel fuller longer, etc" and I was saying (as you were) that that might not be the case for you. It doesn't mean anything is wrong with you. And I was adding that for me I feel like it is not purely about upping protein but also upping fat, which I, personally, find incredibly filling.

Ahhh, okay.....mah bad!!! I totally read it the wrong way. :blushing: It does kinda suck though, I want to feel satisfied on eating other things besides vegetables but for some reason I always feel less satisfied. I do wonder sometimes if it's just in my head.
  • questionablemethods
    Nobody ever left a big pie of beef jerky in the office kitchen the way they do with cupcakes and chips. If you say no to all carbs, there are just fewer temptations. But really, it's a nasty diet and often not sustainable in the long term. Counting calories and eating a balanced diet without too many hard and fast rules is the best long-term solution.
    I mostly agree about cutting down on temptation, but I'm wondering what is "nasty" about it. Here's what a typical day looks like for me:

Breakfast: 2 whole eggs, scrambled with whatever veggies I have (usually some onions, mushrooms, red pepper) and a bit of leftover meat from dinner the night before (if we have it).

Lunch: a giant green salad with whatever salad veggies I have on hand (tomatoes, carrots, cucumbers) and wild caught tuna, a good drizzle of olive oil and lemon juice

Dinner: beef stew with sweet potatoes, mushrooms and onions over mashed cauliflower with a side of sauteed kale, a bit of 85% dark chocolate

I think there is this idea that "lowering carbs" equates to "guzzling cream and eating bacon and sticks of butter like they are candy bars" but that isn't necessarily the case. I don't see much that is "unsustainable" about this way of eating. How is the way I eat any less sustainable than anyone else on this site? I'm confused.
This discussion has been closed.