Whats your electricity bill

Replies

• gazz777
    gazz777 Posts: 722
    $100 per week or so here in Aus - not happy with that, but that's what it is !
  • AlwaysWanderer
    AlwaysWanderer Posts: 641 Member
    It's £0.00. I have solar panels :bigsmile:
  • Saruman_w
    Saruman_w Posts: 1,531 Member
    Recently moved out a 3br apartment for something smaller. Powerbill was always super high for that place, almost always 120$+

Hopefully it won't be as bad in my new one.
  • dckim
    dckim Posts: 311 Member
    all time high - $60, all time low - $8. 2bed+2.5 bath condo in so cal. :flowerforyou:
  • Jebw123
    Jebw123 Posts: 24
    I am on a fixed payment plan of $175 per month for the year. Some monthly bills are well over $300.

I live in New England and the spike is from air conditioning costs (3 window units).
  • Sh1tsRainbows
    Sh1tsRainbows Posts: 1,227 Member
    $80 in the summer, $140 in the winter..3BD 1200 sq ft house..we use a swamp cool in the summer...
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    I have no idea. I don't pay the bills. I believe we are on some kind of plan that averages out the payments over the year. Must be a fair amount though because I know it occassionally gets my wife's panties in a bunch.
  • Iamfit4life
    Iamfit4life Posts: 3,095 Member
    about $70 or $80

I only touch the heat or AC as a courtesy to guests.
  • mariapuhl
    mariapuhl Posts: 529 Member
    $13-$25 a month. I live in half of a duplex... two bedrooms, a bathroom, and a kitchen. But it's a really old duplex so really the only electric thing is the stuff I plug in. The oven, water, stove, heater, etc. are all gas. And I don't use the front half of my duplex... lol. Oh, and I live in Oklahoma.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    About $80 a month year round on the "flat billing". That was in my 1100 sq ft, 2 Bedroom apt.
  • i_love_vinegar
    i_love_vinegar Posts: 2,092 Member
    All of my utilities are a fixed 5,800 yen which is around 77 dollars. I live in a tiny room in Japan with an attached bathroom. xD
  • mamafrahm
    mamafrahm Posts: 132 Member
    When I lived in a house where it was all electric it ranged from $100-175 during the summer and anywhere from $250-500 during the winter. The house I'm at now uses natural gas for heat/cooking so I'd say our average monthly bill is about $100-$150 year round.
  • AdAstra47
    AdAstra47 Posts: 823 Member
    We had a brutal summer this year and my 3rd-floor apartment has no airflow... so even while keeping the thermostat at 80 (Farenheit), my electric bills were $120/month. That's for a very small one-bedroom. But when the temp dropped and I was able to turn off the AC (and haven't yet turned on the heat), my bill dropped to $30.
    I'm gonna turn the thermostat to 50 and see how long I can go this winter without turning the heat on. The good news is that I've been losing weight so now I have a bunch of sweaters that are too big for me: good for layering! :laugh:
  • AmyEm3
    AmyEm3 Posts: 784 Member
    Electric is around $70 per month. The gas bill, now that's another story in the winter. That one is outrageous.
  • cobracars
    cobracars Posts: 949 Member
    Although there is an initial cash outlay, insulating an attic space to around R49 will potentially save you 20 - 30% PER MONTH on your electric bill in the summer and your heating bill in the winter. Since the project doesn't cost very much to install, even if the pros do it, you will save enough to recoup what you spent in about 24-36 months. After that time period all the extra savings is like putting that money right into your pocket. You're already spending the money every month, might as well invest it in something that pays you back intead of just throwing that money at the utility companies every month.

As a side bonus, if you end up running your AC and furnace unit 20-30% less often the lifespan will be extended by that amount.

Insulation works by slowing down the heat lost in the winter, and prevents heat gain in the summer. Believe it or not a typical attic on even a 90 degree day can reach 125 - 140 degrees or more. All that heat right above your head percolates down into the living space and makes it hard for the AC to keep the house cool. In the winter the warm air keeping you cozy in your home rises straight up thru the ceiling and is lost into the attic. If you get snow the easiest way to see proof of this is to look at the homes on your block after a snowfall. Houses with the snow melting off the roof are the ones with insufficient insulation. Lots of snow on the roof means the heat is staying inside the home instead of escaping into the attic and melting the snow.
  • macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member
    Ours averages $400 a month, but we have a two-story and keep the A/C set on 73......AND we live in Houston, TX.
  • CJK1959
    CJK1959 Posts: 279 Member
    Our summer bills ranged from $237 to $315 ish. We live in southeast Texas, bout a 100 miles east of Houston....we just bought our house in April, so don't know what the winter holds for us yet!
  • JulieSD
    JulieSD Posts: 567
    I live in Atlantic Canada and I pay on average 180 in the summer and 400 in the winter (that is heating 3 floors)
  • nati39
    nati39 Posts: 85
    I live in KY and my average is about 150 a month...in the winter time and hot summer months we usually have an average of 250 sometimes even higher!! :((
  • StrengthIsBeautiful
    StrengthIsBeautiful Posts: 309 Member
    Budget payment plan (same amount every month, with readjustment 1x yearly)
    $71 per month.
    Central air, gas heat, Ohio winters, pretty warm to hot summers.
    1000 sq. feet.