Saying goodbye

Options
2»

Replies

• Texas_Nana
    Texas_Nana Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I can relate. I tend to associate memories with clothes...weird I know, but something I do. There were several items that helped me feel presentable and comfortable during my most self-conscious periods. It was very hard for me to let go of some these old clothes but I knew it had to be done because holding on to the larger sizes made it easy to grow back into them.
    I passed them on to ladies that I really cared about, hoping they would enjoy the clothes as much as I did. I’m a little embarrassed to say that I actually said “thank you” and “goodbye” to a few items…but it helped me let go. I no longer hold on to sizes too big for me and enjoy passing them on to others.
    My concern now is that I wonder if it is offensive to those on the receiving end.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    PURGE....if you can't find someone you know who can wear them, then let them go to whatever charitable organization you can. Don't sabotage yourself by keeping "fat clothes" around, and just think about all the beautiful new smaller clothes you can get now....
  • castadiva
    castadiva Posts: 2,016 Member
    Options
    If only I had that problem! At just under 5'8" and with a very big frame, a nearly 40-pound weight loss a few years ago didn't really make any difference to my clothes size at all - things sat better, but the actual size didn't really change. I remained a UK size 18, and it was rather dispririting having the same problems shopping for clothes as ever, after all that effort! (The UK is nowhere near as good as the US in terms of wide size-ranges in clothing. ) 'A new wardrobe' as a motivational factor really doesn't work for me at all, now. Congratulations, though, and I would suggest you have the things you love most tailored, and maybe give the rest away to a charity that helps women looking for work, often from deprived areas, to put together interview outfits or something of that sort - then you'll know that your efforts haven't just helped you, but helped someone else as well!
  • Dragonfly1996
    Dragonfly1996 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I am similar height to you & so far lost 14lb - I have taken some clothes to charity shop. I was in denial about my size before losin weight & wearing clothes that were a bit too tight! Therefore I was on reduced wardrobe anyway - I refused to buy larger sizes & decided to lose the weight instead!! I can now wear 80% of my wardrobe & am still working on the other 20%!!
    I do know friends who are successful selling on eBay so may be worth a go?
    Well done on ur loss though & good luck for the future loss!! :flowerforyou:
  • aiyana1228
    aiyana1228 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Its the yo yo fear. I know I am doing great but I am afraid it won't last. I had the smaller jeans in a container in my basement and when I pulled them out I put the larger ones in... I know-call me pack rat!

There is this great website called freecycle. The idea is you offer what you don't need and can find things that you need that others are getting rid of. It keeps things out of the landfills. No money changes hands. I like it better than goodwill because there is a real person attached to my donation. I saw someone who was asking for the size clothes that were in my "fat" box. She had regained after losing. I was able to pass my two garbage bags full of clothes on to her. She was thankful and I feel good that I let them go. Now I really can't go back there because I will have no clothes!
  • ChristineMarie89
    ChristineMarie89 Posts: 1,142 Member
    Options
    i got a weird emotional attachement to my clothes too >.< and shoes i still have shoes from when i was in like 7th grade(since my feet havent grown since then) lol atm i cant go buy new clothes so thts part of it ill let em go eventually(i hope) lol
  • Sul3i
    Sul3i Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    Have you had any trouble saying goodbye to things? I've lost 15 lbs, but at 5'2" that means my old clothes already look ridiculous. It's been hard to let them go. I was going to give them to my cousin cousin, but she's aslo using mfp and having success at a much faster rate than me. So, beutiful clothes with noone to wear them and fear that if I let them stay in my closet, I'll let myself slip into being able to wear them again. Anyone had similar issues? What did you do?

I've felt that way too...I still have some of my largest sizes... I refuse to get back there!!! I'm getting rid of them ASAP! :-)