Anyone ride their bike to work?

Options
13»

Replies

• angelapolite
    Options
    Lots of great input thanks! I honestly don't have alot of money to invest in a bike. Does anyone has any suggestions on a brand of bike that cost s between $300-$500? (more on the lower side please :happy:
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Does anyone has any suggestions on a brand of bike that cost s between $300-$500? (more on the lower side please :happy:

Any bike that is well put together and reasonably well maintained will be more than enough to get you started. That said, I'd probably look for something used, just to get a little more bang for your buck. I'd also look for a bike with a steel frame. It'll give you a more comfortable ride, and can take a bit more abuse without having to worry... though it's by no means a deal breaker if the frame is aluminum.

A hybrid or even a mountain bike will put you in more of an upright position, which will be more comfortable. They won't be quite as fast as a true road bike would be, but a mountain bike with slick tires is a great way to start out (that's what I did).

You shouldn't have any problem finding a decent used mountain bike in that price range. Front suspension can be nice, rear suspension isn't necessary for commuting. Trek, Specialized, Kona, Giant, Cannondale... all are big names that make decent entry level bikes. Find something in your price range that feels good (feels solid under you and fits you reasonably well), then take it to a bike shop for a tune up and some slick road tires.