Eating exercise cals: Is it bad to....

Options
So, on my workout days, I always find myself scrambling to eat my exercise calories at the end of the day. Is it bad to consume these calories later in the evening? I hate the idea of food just sitting on my belly a few hours before bedtime?

Replies

• SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    It doesnt matter what time you eat them. Your body does not shut off at any time of night or while you sleep
  • hottottie11
    hottottie11 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    It doesnt matter what time you eat them. Your body does not shut off at any time of night or while you sleep

^^This!
  • spammyanna
    spammyanna Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    Your body digests and burns calories 24/7. The myth about eating too late is just that, a myth. Plus, if you know you are going to work out, try eating those calories earlier in the day, spread them out.

And if you are under by a few, and aren't hungry, don't worry about eating them.
  • SaintOnEarth
    Options
    It all depends on the way your body reacts.. I know I was eating my workout calories and I got stuck at a speed bump.. so I decided to not eat my workout calories only my normal ones and I have started going down again.. Just listen to your body and how it reacts :D
  • sarah307
    sarah307 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options

^^This!

100% correct. :)
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    personally, i don't like to eat less the two hours before bed, but no, you won't have any trouble eating at night. and you don't HAVE to eat all those exercise calories back. i don't always do.
  • mirenner
    mirenner Posts: 205
    Options
    before you go saying its a myth, check out if its a myth, your body functions and nervous system do slow down at bedtime

rule of thumb, I would not eat after 8pm

no, your body will not just let the food sit in your belly without digesting it

but, your body WILL send more of a percentage to be stored as FAT rather than keeping it in reserve for potential energy for a person who ate at 5pm and still was wide awake being relatively active
  • kmorris246
    kmorris246 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info! Now if I could only go for that apple and peanut butter rather than the 3 Musketeers bar ;-)
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,191 Member
    Options
    before you go saying its a myth, check out if its a myth, your body functions and nervous system do slow down at bedtime

but, your body WILL send more of a percentage to be stored as FAT rather than keeping it in reserve for potential energy for a person who ate at 5pm and still was wide awake being relatively active

I would love to see the actual clinical study that shows this. Everything I have see shows the exact opposite. Your BMR does not slow down during the night significantly. Also, it is at night that your muscles and other parts of your body are repaired. To do that repairing your body needs food.
  • keenslk
    keenslk Posts: 126
    Options

Agreed !! it is def not a myth that your body slows down and metoblism when you are sleeping - although it doesnt stop completely! i dont like to eat to late at night, but everyone is different :)
  • salmanajmal
    salmanajmal Posts: 93 Member
    Options

"like"
  • Arabian♥Breeze
    Options
    So, on my workout days, I always find myself scrambling to eat my exercise calories at the end of the day. Is it bad to consume these calories later in the evening? I hate the idea of food just sitting on my belly a few hours before bedtime?

When you sleep your metabolism is slower, so you might gain weight if you eat right before going to sleep. Sleeping is when your metabolism is the slowest. It is bad if you are trying to lose or maintain weight.

Just dont eat right before bed. Give your body time to digest the food. You will sleep better if you do this. Take care xoxoxo:wink:
  • hottottie11
    hottottie11 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    Whether you eat your calorie allowance at noon or right before bed, you will be still be in deficit and lose weight.
  • mirenner
    Options

I would love to see the actual clinical study that shows this. Everything I have see shows the exact opposite. Your BMR does not slow down during the night significantly. Also, it is at night that your muscles and other parts of your body are repaired. To do that repairing your body needs food.

I will dig up some information for you and email it to you. I study Science Nutrition at University, so I have had access to this topic in the past.... but of course Eggs are bad for you one year then good for you the next as studies prove. Needless to say, is it advantageous to eat 2 hours before sleeping, YES... will you gain weight by eating a big meal and going to bed straight after a few times, NO... will you gain weight by eating a big meal and going to bed straight after most nights, YES... its all situational.
  • pink59eldo
    Options
    It all depends on the way your body reacts.. I know I was eating my workout calories and I got stuck at a speed bump.. so I decided to not eat my workout calories only my normal ones and I have started going down again.. Just listen to your body and how it reacts :D

I had to stop eating my exercise cals to see the scale move. I was working out a lot so measurements were slightly changing, but I had to stop eating my exercise cals. Everyone is different, so I agree that you should see how your body feels. A lot of people on here say that they eat up until the time that they go to bed. I stop a few hours before, so that I'm not full when I lay down.
  • rileysowner
    Options

I will dig up some information for you and email it to you. I study Science Nutrition at University, so I have had access to this topic in the past.... but of course Eggs are bad for you one year then good for you the next as studies prove. Needless to say, is it advantageous to eat 2 hours before sleeping, YES... will you gain weight by eating a big meal and going to bed straight after a few times, NO... will you gain weight by eating a big meal and going to bed straight after most nights, YES... its all situational.

I would figure that second situation would depend on whether you are at a calorie deficit or not. Since the OP is clearly in a calorie deficit, that would be a rather important variable to take into account. I don't know if anyone has done a study using subjects that are in a calorie deficit eating a large meal just before bed. That would be what I would want to see.
  • PB67
    PB67 Posts: 376
    Options

Everything you've ever said is wrong.
  • mirenner
    Options
    haha okay you both are right and im wrong... have a good night :)
  • rileysowner
    Options
    haha okay you both are right and im wrong... have a good night :)

I didn't say you were wrong, but that I have not seen evidence to the fact that you are right. Most studies are epidemiological and suffer from a fair share of short comings. The few studies done tend to go against their results as well. I like more information.
  • RNMDFF
    RNMDFF Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    It's fine. Why do people argue? Not all the info is correct on here, you have to use your judgement.

I do not eat after 8:00 for many reasons. I used to stay up late and eat pasta (with Alfredo sauce ) and Ice cream. I would eat an extra 1000 cals (if not more) at night so I set that limit of 8. I did lose weight doing that but I cut out 1000 calories. If your just having an apple or some crackers you are probably fine, just dont undo your whole day like I did