Eating exercise cals: Is it bad to....

Options
13»

Replies

• kmbrooks15
    kmbrooks15 Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    OK, I'm going to weigh in here. I don't have any scientific studies to quote, but I do have personal experience. This is MY personal experience, so please, people, no need to get nasty or snarky with me.

I have a BodyMedia armband (kind of like the Bodybuggs they wear on The Biggest Loser). I wear it at night while sleeping because it helps monitor my sleep (and it's amazingly accurate--I can even see on the little graph the little block of time where I had to get up to go to the bathroom!). It shows me burning just as many calories per minute during the night while sleeping as I do during the day sitting at my desk at work. The only time I see spikes in my calorie burn is the times I'm up from my desk walking all over the building and when I'm working out. The rest of the time is pretty evenly consistent.

Now, I don't eat piles of food after 8:00 because I have acid reflux and don't really want anything heavy on my stomach at night, but I will have some Smart Pop popcorn or some crackers and cheese. I sometimes will eat a 100 calorie ice cream bar. If I eat too much, my sleep will be lousy because my reflux will kick up something awful. If I eat just light snacks, though, I'm fine, and it doesn't seem to affect my calorie burn through the night.

Again, this is MY personal experience. Other people might find that they are different. Everyone's body reacts a little differently, which may be why so many studies seem to contradict each other. You may need to experiment a little and see what works for you.
  • Uerzer
    Uerzer Posts: 273
    Options
    Please show a study that says you gain weight if you eat right before you sleep.. cause I'd def. like to see that!

I found one that says that people who eat before you sleep tend to gain weight because they eat more Kcal average than the other group who didn't do it!!! -- CONFOUNDING FACTORS FTW. That's why they don't recommend to eat before going to bed... but if you are counting your kcals successfully, for the same number of kcals, IT DOESNT MATTER

I see a double post but the study is where? Oh right, it's not because your prob. making this up...

do you know what a confounding factor is ? do you realise i'm just making YOUR point!?! :noway:

I repeat myself: It is not recommended to eat before bed because it has been proved that people who do that lose just eat more kcal than people who dont! im assuming is a matter of discipline. rephrased again: with same intake, there are no differences in weight loss
  • Uerzer
    Options
    Now, I don't eat piles of food after 8:00 because I have acid reflux

GERD is a different issue, you shouldn't eat after 8 for another reason not related to weight loss and in this case, it is proven that eating too much before going to bed is bad for GERD patients
  • kmbrooks15
    Options
    Now, I don't eat piles of food after 8:00 because I have acid reflux

GERD is a different issue, you shouldn't eat after 8 for another reason not related to weight loss and in this case, it is proven that eating too much before going to bed is bad for GERD patients

Right, but my point is that my calorie burn is no different in the middle of the night while sleeping than it is during the day sitting at my desk.

Whether someone eats after 8:00 should be dependent on any medical issues (such as GERD in my case), but it will not affect weight loss unless they are eating something that negates the overall calorie deficit for the day.

You said something about people who eat late tend to eat more kcal; I assume you mean that calorie burn at night has nothing to do with it, but that late-night eaters tend to eat larger quantities of unhealthy foods at that time. I'm inclined to agree that could be an issue. I'm an emotional eater, and I've had to adjust to my husband being gone from my life. At night, after the kids go to bed, is a time that can be a little lonely, so I watch TV. It's easy to overeat at that time, especially for an emotional eater. So I can see that being an issue. That's why I make myself log every bite I put in my mouth so that I'm held accountable. I also try to choose healthier items like the 100 calorie popcorn bags instead of Oreos, candy bars, etc. So any studies on this could be skewed by those types of factors.
  • eeebee
    eeebee Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    1) What is GERD?
    2) Why is it that I always sleep so incredibly well after eating 30 minutes before I go to sleep?

• Uerzer
    Options
    1) What is GERD?
    GERD: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gastroesophageal_reflux_disease (when it buuuurns!)
    its a disease quite frequent in general population, more frequent in obese population
    my point is that my calorie burn is no different in the middle of the night while sleeping than it is during the day sitting at my desk.

sorry but no. you burn more kcal when you run or go on a bike right? same happens with any other activity

Those are kcal/30min:
    Sleeping: 19
    Sitting reading: 34
    Standing: 38
    Cooking: 75

Source: http://www.health.harvard.edu/newsweek/Calories-burned-in-30-minutes-of-leisure-and-routine-activities.htm

Whether someone eats after 8:00 should be dependent on any medical issues (such as GERD in my case), but it will not affect weight loss unless they are eating something that negates the overall calorie deficit for the day.

Thats my point :flowerforyou:
    You said something about people who eat late tend to eat more kcal; I assume you mean that calorie burn at night has nothing to do with it, but that late-night eaters tend to eat larger quantities of unhealthy foods at that time. I'm inclined to agree that could be an issue. I'm an emotional eater, and I've had to adjust to my husband being gone from my life. At night, after the kids go to bed, is a time that can be a little lonely, so I watch TV. It's easy to overeat at that time, especially for an emotional eater. So I can see that being an issue. That's why I make myself log every bite I put in my mouth so that I'm held accountable. I also try to choose healthier items like the 100 calorie popcorn bags instead of Oreos, candy bars, etc. So any studies on this could be skewed by those types of factors.

And thats correct, in that study those who ate at night also had a larger kcal intake.... they werent following MFP!!! :laugh:

Ultimate ultra summary: nothing else matters besides of doing what MFP tells you to do! (this sounds like a cult :huh: )
  • VTGolden
    VTGolden Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    It's fine. Why do people argue? Not all the info is correct on here, you have to use your judgement.

I do not eat after 8:00 for many reasons. I used to stay up late and eat pasta (with Alfredo sauce ) and Ice cream. I would eat an extra 1000 cals (if not more) at night so I set that limit of 8. I did lose weight doing that but I cut out 1000 calories. If your just having an apple or some crackers you are probably fine, just dont undo your whole day like I did

I also used to eat a ton of calories in the evening. Mostly out of boredom and loneliness. Then I would go to bed feeling worse physically and mentally. Even if I haven't eaten back my excercise caloriess, I will not eat after 8pm anymore. That way, I don't trigger the same behavioral pattern. My decision has nothing to do with the science of metabolism, but instead with the science of behavioral patterns.
  • kyle4jem
    kyle4jem Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    1) What is GERD?
    Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease
    (GERD, Acid Reflux, Heartburn)
    2) Why is it that I always sleep so incredibly well after eating 30 minutes before I go to sleep?

Everyone's different.

I used to suffer really badly from GERD and IBS and after extensive tests I was diagnosed with a cup & spill stomach. Now this should mean I can't eat as much as normal folks, but I can't say that's ever been a prob for me.

As to the OP's original question... I rarely eat back my exercise cals because I don't really believe I've burnt as many as MFP/HRM tells me... go figure! :noway: Plus, the whole idea at the moment is to lose weight so eating in deficit is good and it's not like I'm doing 1000kc burns every day.

Once I move into maintenance, I'm going to switch from sedentary to lightly active as I'm now regularly exercising 2-3 times a week and or some light exercise daily.
  • eeebee
    eeebee Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    Those are kcal/30min:

That piece of info, was really useful - thanks
  • kmbrooks15
    Options
    my point is that my calorie burn is no different in the middle of the night while sleeping than it is during the day sitting at my desk.

sorry but no. you burn more kcal when you run or go on a bike right? same happens with any other activity

Those are kcal/30min:

Source: http://www.health.harvard.edu/newsweek/Calories-burned-in-30-minutes-of-leisure-and-routine-activities.htm

According to my armband, it is the same, or at least very close, to when I'm sitting at my desk at work. But I can see even small spikes just when I get up and walk to somewhere else in the building (not even fast walking). So my point is that my sleeping burn is about the same as the burn I get sitting at my desk. Any activity, though, no matter how light, ups it at least a little bit.
    Ultimate ultra summary: nothing else matters besides of doing what MFP tells you to do! (this sounds like a cult :huh: )

Just a little...but at least it's a good one! :)
  • dolphin9803
    Options
    If your confused after reading all that do what I do ask ur doc.

Unfortunately, many doctors are rather clueless about weight loss. It's actually a different science. You are better off talking to a registered dietician or at least a nutritionist. At least this is what I have seen from my personal experience and have seen from the experiences of others on here.

Well my doc is my endo she is very helpful with this process
  • kmbrooks15
    Options
    If your confused after reading all that do what I do ask ur doc.

Unfortunately, many doctors are rather clueless about weight loss. It's actually a different science. You are better off talking to a registered dietician or at least a nutritionist. At least this is what I have seen from my personal experience and have seen from the experiences of others on here.

Well my doc is my endo she is very helpful with this process

My primary care doc is very knowledgable and helpful, too. She is very fit herself, which says a lot. She was a dancer growing up and is still in great shape, even after having twins! Some doctors take the time to educate themselves about this stuff, while others just want to shove a pill at you. Mine will not prescribe diet pills except in extreme circumstances, and then she requires a monthly visit (she'll only write one month's worth at a time) to check vital signs and followup. This discourages most people from wanting the pills in the first place!
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    before you go saying its a myth, check out if its a myth, your body functions and nervous system do slow down at bedtime

rule of thumb, I would not eat after 8pm

no, your body will not just let the food sit in your belly without digesting it

but, your body WILL send more of a percentage to be stored as FAT rather than keeping it in reserve for potential energy for a person who ate at 5pm and still was wide awake being relatively active

Um, where do you think the body keeps that energy "in reserve?" It's stored in fat cells, until needed. Whenever you eat it. This comment is honestly laughable. The body is constantly adding to and taking from fat stores all day, every day, it doesn't matter what time you eat.