"Skinny"

Options
13»

Replies

• allie1904
    allie1904 Posts: 248
    Options
    I enjoy being skinny and healthy and strong. None of these terms are mutually exclusive.

Yes, there's a difference between 'you're so skinny and healthy' and 'OMG! you're a skinny waif'
  • killerqueen17
    killerqueen17 Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    But, I can see not wanting to be called, "skinny," as a general rule. It tends to carry the connotation of either skinny-fat, or bony (with the associated lack-of-curve connotation that NO woman really wants to hear).

I disagree... some women feel this way, but others don't. I have never been "curvy" and I was always quite happy with my body. I don't really carry extra weight very well, either... I don't become "curvy," I get ONE "curve" which is where my stomach bulges out!! haha :wink:

Lots of women look very beautiful with curves, but I am not one of those women!! lol
  • jmruef
    jmruef Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    I'll take skinny over skeletal...

I think we tend to read too much into what people are saying, really. Unless they're looking at me with a sneer on their face and saying "Ew," I try to just smile, say thanks, and move on.
  • leomentlines
    leomentlines Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    When i think of the word skinny in terms of weight loss I picture the type of person willing to go on the cabbage/cayenne pepper/ 48 hour hollywood diet - everything but calories in/calories out. I picture someone who cares more about getting into a smaller size jean than the muscle tone they might lose in the process.. as long as they lose 10 lbs a week its okay.

I guess I'm not a huge fan of the word skinny. I'd much rather prefer the words strong/fit - words that can describe someone a size 2 as well as a size 10. I guess that's why I'm not really stressing over what my final goal weight anymore - I'd instead rather get my body shape more toned versus a specific number nowadays.
  • amygee05nb
    Options
    in shape...brick house..fit...slim...SEXY AS HELL would be good too..id take that
  • Jill_newimprovedversion
    Options
    I dislike it when it's said w/ that ( hard to describe but I'll bet you know what I'm talking about) tone of voice,
    ...."Look at you, aren't you gettin' skkkkkkkkeeeny?"

Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but it comes across less than encouraging- as if I need to *defend* myself....

especially when it's followed by a warning to "don't get TOOOOOO skeeeeeeeeeny"

I don't know what I want to hear- because I also don't like being told how nice I look NOW

I generally just deflect it and stay how GREAT I feel now- and how much ENERGY I now have.......
  • killerqueen17
    killerqueen17 Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    I dislike it when it's said w/ that ( hard to describe but I'll bet you know what I'm talking about) tone of voice,
    ...."Look at you, aren't you gettin' skkkkkkkkeeeny?"

Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but it comes across less than encouraging- as if I need to *defend* myself....

especially when it's followed by a warning to "don't get TOOOOOO skeeeeeeeeeny"

I don't know what I want to hear- because I also don't like being told how nice I look NOW

I generally just deflect it and stay how GREAT I feel now- and how much ENERGY I now have.......

Do you live in the South, by any chance?? lol... this very conversation is a common occurrence down here... haha ;)
  • NotGoddess
    NotGoddess Posts: 1,198 Member
    Options
    I've never been, so I wouldn't mind if people refer to me as 'skinny', 'thin' or 'tiny'. But I'd much prefer being 'fit'.

I also try not to say 'when I lose the weight' but instead 'when I'm finally fit' because it implies healthy, strong, active and doesn't focus on a number.