HEALTHY recipe thread-REAL FOOD for real appetites

Replies

• TluvK
    TluvK Posts: 733 Member
    Shrimp Ceviche

Makes 6 Servings (3 Cups Total)

Cals 185 Carbs 10 Fat 9 Protein 18 Sodium 598 Fiber 1

1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
    1 generous pound unpeeled smallish shrimp (I prefer the ones that are 41/50 count to a pound)
    1/2 medium white onion, chopped into 1/4 inch pieces
    1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
    1/2 cup ketchup
    1 to 2 tablespoons vinegary Mexican bottled hot sauce (such as Tamazula, Valentina or Búfalo, the latter being on the sweet side)
    About 2 tablespoons olive oil, preferably extra-virgin (optional, but recommended to smooth out sharpness)
    1 cup diced peeled cucumber or jícama (or 1/2 cup of each)
    1 small ripe avocado, peeled, pitted and cubed
    Salt
    Several lime slices for garnish

Bring 1 quart salted water to a boil and add 2 tablespoons of the lime juice. Scoop in the shrimp, cover and let the water return to the boil. Immediately remove from the heat, set the lid askew and pour off all the liquid. Replace the cover and let the shrimp steam off the heat for 10 minutes. Spread out the shrimp in a large glass or stainless steel bowl to cool completely. Peel the shrimp.

In a small strainer, rinse the onion under cold water, then shake off the excess liquid. Add to the shrimp bowl along with the cilantro, ketchup, hot sauce, optional olive oil, cucumber and/or jícama and avocado. Taste and season with salt, Cover and refrigerate if not serving immediately.
  • TluvK
    TluvK Posts: 733 Member
    Another one! From Cuisine at Home

Curried Sweet Potato Soup
    Makes: about 4 ½ cups

1⁄2 cup chopped onion
    1⁄4 cup each diced carrot and celery
    1 Tbsp. minced fresh ginger
    1 dried bay leaf
    Pinch of red pepper flakes
    2 Tbsp. vegetable oil
    1 1⁄2 cups sweet potato, peeled and cubed
    1 tsp. curry powder
    1⁄4 cup dry white wine
    4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
    1⁄2 cup canned diced tomatoes, drained
    1⁄4 cup brown lentils
    1⁄4 cup chopped fresh cilantro, divided
    Salt to taste
    Plain yogurt or sour cream

Sauté onion, carrot, celery, ginger, bay leaf, and pepper flakes in oil in a pot over medium-high heat until soft, 8–10 minutes. Add sweet potatoes and curry powder; sauté 1 minute.

Deglaze pot with wine; simmer until almost evaporated, then stir in broth, tomatoes, and lentils. Reduce heat to medium and simmer, uncovered, until lentils and sweet potatoes are tender, 25–30 minutes.

Off heat, stir in 2 Tbsp. cilantro, lemon juice, and salt. Garnish each serving of soup with a dollop of yogurt or sour cream and remaining cilantro.

Per cup: 248 cal; 9g total fat; 798mg sodium; 34g total carbs; 4g fiber; 11g protein

soup.jpg
  • Sweet Potato and Carmelized Onion Quesadillas
    (I found the recipe here: http://topoftheapple.com/2011/03/22/sweet-potato-caramelized-onion-quesadillas/)

1/2 large sweet onion, halved and sliced
    1 large sweet potato
    1/3 cup milk
    3 tsp Trader Joe's chili sauce
    4 burrito-sized tortilla shells
    2 tbsp olive oil, plus about 1 tbsp more for tortillas
    2 cups shredded monterey jack cheese
    sea salt to taste
    black pepper (optional)

Skin and chunk the sweet potatoes for boiling. Boil until tender for mashing (about 20 minutes).

While the potatoes boil, add olive oil to a large skillet over medium heat. Once oil is warm, add onions and stir until coated with oil. Cook, stirring occasionally, until slightly brown, about 10 minutes. Season with 1/4 teaspoon salt. Continue cooking and stirring until brown but still slightly crunchy, about 10 more minutes; set aside.

Once potatoes are tender, mash with milk and chili sauce. Add salt, black pepper and cayenne pepper to taste (or omit the peppers, if you like it milder).

Place a small amount of olive oil in a skillet and put tortilla in it until warm, about 1 minute. Turn over and spread 1/4 of the potato mixture on half the tortilla, placing 1/4 of the carmelized onions on top of it. Spread about 1/2 cup of monterey jack cheese over all of the tortilla, and let warm until cheese starts to melt. Once cheese is melty, fold sweet potato half over the plain cheese half, press and serve (or, place in warm oven while you make the remainder of the quesadillas).

These are yummy plain, or with salsa, plain Greek yogurt or avacados.

Per Serving: 339 calories | 25 carbs | 23 fat | 9 protein
  • stellcorb
    stellcorb Posts: 294 Member
    bump
  • aguilarrumiko
    aguilarrumiko Posts: 52 Member
    bump :-)
  • mavsfan2009
    mavsfan2009 Posts: 261 Member
    bumppity bump bump
  • CityOnAHill
    CityOnAHill Posts: 136 Member
    bump
  • bump
  • sheila0321
    sheila0321 Posts: 110 Member
    Wow.. There are some amazing recipes on here.
  • Healthy_Hannah483
    Healthy_Hannah483 Posts: 151 Member
    Autumn Sausage Casserole (this is single serve, but you can definitely double, triple, etc. the recipe easily)

Ingredients:
    1 chicken sausage link (I used spinach and garlic)
    1/2 small apple (I used fuji)
    1/4 cup shredded carrots
    1 cup rice, cooked
    2 tablespoons of raisins
    1 tsp or less of brown sugar (optional)
    Allspice & cinnamon, about 1/2 tsp each

Directions:
    1.) Cook rice & sausage, cut up apple.
    2.) combine ingredients in bowl & stir.
    3.) put in microwave for about 3 minutes, just enough for the apple to soften (might consider putting it in the oven/crock pot if its more servings.)
    4.) Enjoy!
  • shariguymon
    shariguymon Posts: 245 Member
    Sweet thread, thanks for helping me find it Hannah, I'll post some recipes that I've been testing lately with my modifications....Thanks for sharing everyone!!!!
  • Healthy_Hannah483
    Healthy_Hannah483 Posts: 151 Member
    Sweet thread, thanks for helping me find it Hannah, I'll post some recipes that I've been testing lately with my modifications....Thanks for sharing everyone!!!!

Great! I can't wait to see them (:
  • jbreilly
    jbreilly Posts: 53 Member
    Great thread! Looking forward to making some of the recipes!
  • phocid
    phocid Posts: 85 Member
    I just posted my Vegetable Fried Rice recipe to my fledgling MFP blog. I'll be sure to get final results pics this evening when I cook it all up.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/phocid

I love eating "real" food. We minimize the processed/packaged food we bring into the house. This particular recipe, with a bit of advanced planning, is just as convenient and quick as anything prepackaged.
  • Sun Dried Tomato Hummus

Ingredients:
    1 Can Chickpeas drained and rinsed
    2 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
    1 Garlic Cloves
    3 tbsp sun dried tomatoes in oil
    2 tbsp parsley
    2 tbsp of Lemon Juice

Directions:
    Puree all ingredients in a food processor and blend until smooth.
  • nicolebev436
    nicolebev436 Posts: 20 Member
    Bump!
  • nienie21
    nienie21 Posts: 95 Member
    Must look at this later :) Thanks!
  • JS70
    JS70 Posts: 95 Member
    I am going to try the easy fried rice recipe. Sounds good!
  • maceycarey
    maceycarey Posts: 143 Member
    yummy

Pork chop suey
    • 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
    • 3 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
    • 2 tablespoons molasses, preferably blackstrap
    • 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
    • 5 teaspoons cornstarch
    • 2 tablespoons canola oil, divided
    • 1 pound pork tenderloin, trimmed, halved lengthwise and cut into 1/4-inch-thick pieces
    • 1 medium onion, slivered
    • 1 medium red bell pepper, thinly sliced
    • 3 cups mung bean sprouts (see Note)
    • 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
    Preparation
    1. Combine broth, soy sauce, molasses and pepper in a medium bowl. Transfer 2 tablespoons of the mixture to a small bowl; stir in cornstarch until combined. Set aside.
    2. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add pork and cook, stirring frequently, until most of the pink is gone, 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer to a plate.
    3. Increase heat to medium-high. Add the remaining 1 tablespoon oil, onion, bell pepper, sprouts and ginger and cook for 3 minutes. Pour in the broth mixture and bring to a boil. Cook, stirring, for 3 minutes. Reduce heat to medium; add the reserved cornstarch mixture and pork (and any accumulated juice) and cook, stirring, until slightly thickened, about 1 minute.
    Tips & Notes
    • Note: Mung bean sprouts (germinated mung beans), often simply labeled “bean sprouts,” are white with a light yellow tip and are thicker than more common alfalfa sprouts.
    Nutrition
    Per serving:1 cup 280 calories; 10 g fat ( 1 g sat , 5 g mono ); 74 mg cholesterol; 21 g carbohydrates; 7 g added sugars; 28 g protein; 3 g fiber; 504 mg sodium; 957 mg potassium
  • loseiteli
    loseiteli Posts: 242 Member
    bump for later! :)