What do you do when you are sick?

Replies

• jwil1231
    jwil1231 Posts: 89 Member
    just be good to yourself, rest and come back stronger. :smokin:
  • tabbydog
    tabbydog Posts: 4,925 Member
    It depends on how you feel and how sick you are. Light exercise helps boost immune response. I currenlty have a head cold, so today I ran 3 miles instead of the usual 5 or 6. The fresh air and light exercise made me feel better. If you have a fever, or feel completely exhausted, you should rest. If you do decide to exercise, definitely scale back and take it easy.
  • anewattitude
    anewattitude Posts: 483 Member
    I use it as an opportunity to throw up on people I don`t like:smile:

However, the rest and medicine and sleeping on the couch are great ideas too. Feel better soon!
  • bshedwick
    bshedwick Posts: 659 Member
    I'm planning on just going to the gym and running for a bit on the treadmill. No plans of going outside and exercising.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    If I really and truly feel like I'd feel better after I worked out, I'd work out. If I have the full body aches and feel feverish where even my HAIR hurts, I curl up in a little ball under a blankie.

I also don't log my food intake when I'm actively sick. I don't want to think about calories or macros, either trying to eat less or trying to eat more.
  • bshedwick
    I dont have a fever, so I'm guessing some light exercise should be alright.
  • cabaray
    cabaray Posts: 971 Member
    I'm with you. I have a nasty head cold right now too. I usually ride my exercise bike in the mornings, but didn't because I had a pounding headache. The headache is gone right now, so when I get home, I plan on doing Jillian Micheals 30 Day Shred. If I start to feel like I can't make it through, I'll stop, but I don't think it hurts to try. If you're running a fever, I'd skip it as it would increase your body temperature even more.

Edit: Just saw your comment on no fever...
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    I'm planning on just going to the gym and running for a bit on the treadmill. No plans of going outside and exercising.

Why are you opposed to resting like almost every single person here has suggested?

You won't get punk rock points for working out while sick - you'll just get sicker.

:flowerforyou:
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member

Oh! So you're the guy who spreads his germs all over the gym. :tongue:
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member

Why are you opposed to resting like almost every single person here has suggested?

You won't get punk rock points for working out while sick - you'll just get sicker.

:flowerforyou:

^^ This
  • bshedwick
    Not sure if I am going to get a chance to workout tomorrow, and possibly this wknd due to a lot of activities.
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member

Oh! So you're the guy who spreads his germs all over the gym. :tongue:

^^ And this.

OP- If you don't "get it" by now, not sure what to tell ya.
  • cabaray
    cabaray Posts: 971 Member
    I could understand resting if he had the flu, strep infection, etc..., but there is no fever and he feels good enough to put some time in. I'd say go for it. I am anyway.

Good point about the gym though. I'm exercising at home, so everyone has already been exposed to my germs.
  • bshedwick
    Good point. Don't want to spread the germs at the gym. Maybe I'll see if I feel better tomorrow and try to get a workout it then
  • marnijojo
    marnijojo Posts: 235 Member
    While I don't think some light exercise is going to do any harm, I see the point about spreading the germs, so maybe a day off is in order. I am not sure I have had a cold or the flu since I started exercising regularly; but I always seem to crave large quantities of orange juice when I have a head cold and I usually indulge that craving!

Hope you are feeling better soon.
  • drog2323
    drog2323 Posts: 1,343 Member
    I swear by zinc lozenges as well.
  • lawkat
    lawkat Posts: 538 Member
    If you are sick, stay home and rest. If you go to the gym, you know how many people may catch that cold from you, if you are contagious? I am sure they would rather you stay home. Plus the more you rest, the faster you will get better and able to work out to full capacity.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Not only spreading germs, but when you're already sick, your immune system isn't at it's best, so who knows what else you could CATCH at the gym! :noway:
  • ASPhantom
    ASPhantom Posts: 637 Member
    I thought I was feeling better yesterday and decided to go ahead and do my run, this morrning woke up feeling terrible again. I Think I pushed it too much, too quick.

Hoping to rebound before my race Saturday.

Good Luck don't overdo it.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    So I'm currently battling a nasty head cold but still want to workout this evening. I think I may have to take it easy though.

When you are sick, what do you do?

I've been fighting a head cold too. I haven't been able to do Zumba all weak and it's KILLING me. It's getting a little better so I've started doing some strength training in small sets with rest in between, but I'm just too stuffy to do cardio or get out of breath.