Birth Control

Options
124»

Replies

• PinkAndSparkle
    Options
    This thread is interesting, but really, not that helpful. Every body is different, like people have said, and will respond to different hormones completely differently. I have been on EVERY type of pill there is. In fact, my gyno told me that i what I'm on now didn't work, I would be out of oral contraceptive options. I currently take a generic of yasmin and I like it, but I do suspect it may be part of the reason I'm having trouble losing weight. I a not overweight, but I would like to lose a few. HOWEVER, being a few pounds heavier is worth it to me considering I was clinically insane on some of the other pills (read: ortho tricyclin), or breaking through every two weeks with any low dose, including nuvaring.
    I am considering mirena right now, although having no children yet, I think it might be a good option for us at this point. Good luck!
  • Michaela722
    Options
    I have a Mirena IUD and it is the best thing I could have ever done. I don't have to think about my birth control (except once every 5 years), it doesn't cause me to have any side effects, I had it put in 6 weeks after giving birth to a 10 lb baby, so it was very easy for my doctor to insert and my periods are practically non-existant. After 10 days of heavy, heavy periods, it is a blessing for me.

Some doctors don't like to give them to women who haven't had a baby because it can be very painful/uncomfortable to insert. But I know a lot of doctors will do it. I knew several women on IUDs when I was in my 20s and non of them had kids.
    I'm definately not getting an IUD bc I don't have any kids. I just had a miscarriage last month so I'm already afraid that something is wrong with my body. Plus I don't want to wait 5 years to have kids. Maybe nuva ring.

The Mirena IUD is good for up to 5 years. That doesn't mean you have to wait 5 years to have it removed. It can be taken out and your fertility returns almost immediately. Just FYI.

Lots and lots of perfectly healthy women have miscarriages. That wasn't something I knew until I started to try and get pregnant. It is normal, please don't think something is wrong w/ your body.
  • Michaela722
    Options
    I thought about the Mirena, but heard that my husband would be able to feel it--and not so pleasantly.

My husband says he cannot feel the strings at all.
  • malloriewebb
    Options
    I have a Mirena IUD and it is the best thing I could have ever done. I don't have to think about my birth control (except once every 5 years), it doesn't cause me to have any side effects, I had it put in 6 weeks after giving birth to a 10 lb baby, so it was very easy for my doctor to insert and my periods are practically non-existant. After 10 days of heavy, heavy periods, it is a blessing for me.

Some doctors don't like to give them to women who haven't had a baby because it can be very painful/uncomfortable to insert. But I know a lot of doctors will do it. I knew several women on IUDs when I was in my 20s and non of them had kids.
    I'm definately not getting an IUD bc I don't have any kids. I just had a miscarriage last month so I'm already afraid that something is wrong with my body. Plus I don't want to wait 5 years to have kids. Maybe nuva ring.

The Mirena IUD is good for up to 5 years. That doesn't mean you have to wait 5 years to have it removed. It can be taken out and your fertility returns almost immediately. Just FYI.

Lots and lots of perfectly healthy women have miscarriages. That wasn't something I knew until I started to try and get pregnant. It is normal, please don't think something is wrong w/ your body.

Yes! 1 in 4 pregnancies usually end in m/c. Ive had two. There are so many options out there if you have problems getting pregnant later in life.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    Just FYI - Pregnancy cause a LOT more weight gain, so do that you have to do! :bigsmile:

On a serious note, there was something in the issue of Fitness magazine I just got this week about that. I believe it said their study showed only the shot caused weight gain, but don't quote me on that (might be worth looking up that article though).
  • Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    I am no longer at this point in my life but I do know that the depo shot is well known for causing great weight gain.
    Funny how the posts mentioning pull out are from men.
  • miss_ally08
    miss_ally08 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I'm on Ortho-Tri-Cyclen. I've also tried the Patch and although I miss it, I've stayed on the pill the longest. It's worked out well for me, no weight gain and no side effects :)
  • ennaejay
    ennaejay Posts: 575
    Options
    diaphragm with spermicide... pain in the *kitten* sometimes, but non-hormonal (barrier method). this will be widely discouraged by any OB/GYN because they don't make any MONEY offa it. :explode: Worked excellent for us.... when we actually used it *cough cough*
  • Anewmein2014
    Anewmein2014 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    totally agree with you! I was on the shot - gained over 40 pounds and totally messed up my system - on yaz now and still trying to get regular...ugh!!
  • azzacca
    azzacca Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    IUD all the way. I'm on the Mirena, which is an IUD with extremely low-dose hormones. Unlike the regular copper IUD, it doesn't cause insanely heavy periods, in fact, i barely experience any period at all. The hormones are so low that they don't effect your body (or your mood!) and it is extremely effective.

My doctor would NOT put me on it because I haven't had kids, or any other woman that hasn't had a kid yet.

NOT true. When I was 33 I had a copper IUD implanted. I loved it. I didn't have any higher flow on my periods than when I was on the pill. I had no issues with weight either way, but I did stop having the major heartburn that I'd had for years. My migraines got better. My mood swings were better.

If you haven't gone through childbirth, then there is a higher risk of having the IUD slip out of position, or eject completely. The former is what caused me to have to have it removed. I went back on the pill (Yaz), but the heartburn came back and the migraines got worse.

My mother's first breast cancer was caused by hormone therapy for menopause, so I decided, with my current doctor's help, that getting off the pill altogether was in my best interest, both physically and mentally (Mom's second cancer is what eventually killed her). I had the Essure procedure done (http://www.essure.com/) and have never been happier.
  • midwifekelley2350
    midwifekelley2350 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    one third of women gain 5 pounds, one third lose 5 pounds and one third stay the same on pills...about 25% (maybe a little more) will gain on depo but the weight gain on depo is usually significant if it happens...like 25-35 lbs!
  • midwifekelley2350
    midwifekelley2350 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    IUD all the way. I'm on the Mirena, which is an IUD with extremely low-dose hormones. Unlike the regular copper IUD, it doesn't cause insanely heavy periods, in fact, i barely experience any period at all. The hormones are so low that they don't effect your body (or your mood!) and it is extremely effective.

My doctor would NOT put me on it because I haven't had kids, or any other woman that hasn't had a kid yet.

NOT true. When I was 33 I had a copper IUD implanted. I loved it. I didn't have any higher flow on my periods than when I was on the pill. I had no issues with weight either way, but I did stop having the major heartburn that I'd had for years. My migraines got better. My mood swings were better.

If you haven't gone through childbirth, then there is a higher risk of having the IUD slip out of position, or eject completely. The former is what caused me to have to have it removed. I went back on the pill (Yaz), but the heartburn came back and the migraines got worse.

My mother's first breast cancer was caused by hormone therapy for menopause, so I decided, with my current doctor's help, that getting off the pill altogether was in my best interest, both physically and mentally (Mom's second cancer is what eventually killed her). I had the Essure procedure done (http://www.essure.com/) and have never been happier.

i once put an IUD in a woman who had not had a baby...never again. it was very difficult for me and very painful for her!
  • phover
    phover Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I'm on the pullout method. 60% of the time it works every time
  • phover
    phover Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    : )