Question about mac and cheese..

ygglove
ygglove Posts: 102 Member
edited October 4 in Health and Weight Loss
I'm really wanting some grilled chicken and mac and cheese... but I'm REALLY trying to stay away from the bad stuff.. I know I CAN eat things in moderation. I know that I shouldn't be a die hard dieter or I might fail.. and I'm not. I limit my self.. but my question is, HOW bad is BOXED mac and cheese for you? Will it slow down your metabolism? I've already weaned my self from pastas, so it won't bother me if I can't have it... JW.

Thanks to everyone who replied! I just needed to know whether or not it would harm/stall my progress, and I got a lot of really great advice, and recipes out of this.

Replies

• fzyfrog
    fzyfrog Posts: 456 Member
    Boxed mac and cheese is loaded with fat and sodium. You'd be better off making your own. Whole grain elbow noodles, fat free cheese and some fat free greek yogurt give it a great creamy texture.
  • Boxed mac and cheese is loaded with fat and sodium. You'd be better off making your own. Whole grain elbow noodles, fat free cheese and some fat free greek yogurt give it a great creamy texture.

trying this <3
  • terrellc1
    terrellc1 Posts: 231 Member
    Have the grilled chicken and some grilled veggies and sprinkle them with parm. You will feel much better about your choices.

However, if you choose to eat the boxed mac and cheese...then you are making the decision to eat crap. No whining afterwards about what a bad decision you made. We don't want to hear it.
  • Shrinking_Xtina
    Shrinking_Xtina Posts: 478 Member
  • Akahime
    Akahime Posts: 35 Member
    It's the salt content that is the worst. Do yourself a favor and make your own mac n cheese using whole wheat pasta and fat-free ricotta cheese. There's a lot of recipes online try the Cooking Light website. You can even put a little shredded cheddar on top and panko bread crumbs for real homestyle flavor. I'm made a mac n cheese that used pumpkin in the recipe once and it wasn't bad but a little bland. Next time I'll spice it up a bit with some seasonings.
  • peteb79
    peteb79 Posts: 386
    You don't have to follow the directions on the box, I use skim milk and half the required butter, my kids never noticed a difference.
  • If it fits in your macros it wont slow your progress
  • Losing2Live69
    Losing2Live69 Posts: 743 Member
    Google "Hungry Girl" and look for her mac -n- cheese recipe. It tastes awesome and is lower in fat, sodium, and calories.
  • SixCatFaerie
    SixCatFaerie Posts: 690 Member
    Boxed mac and cheese is loaded with fat and sodium. You'd be better off making your own. Whole grain elbow noodles, fat free cheese and some fat free greek yogurt give it a great creamy texture.

^^^This!^^^

I gave up trying to make the boxed kind healthier, so now I just make my own. MUCH better!

I also find this website very helpful for a ton of things!

http://www.dashingdish.com/

4581915.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • Have the grilled chicken and some grilled veggies and sprinkle them with parm. You will feel much better about your choices.

However, if you choose to eat the boxed mac and cheese...then you are making the decision to eat crap. No whining afterwards about what a bad decision you made. We don't want to hear it.

Harsh eh? Its not even that bad of a decision.
  • istalkzombies
    istalkzombies Posts: 344 Member

trying this <3

me to! yum
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Just a warning about fat free cheese: don't eat it!
  • Unwrapping_Candy
    Unwrapping_Candy Posts: 487 Member
    STEP AWAY FROM THE MAC AND CHEESE BEFORE CAESER GET MAD!!!!
    chimp-gun.jpg
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    If it fits in your macros it wont slow your progress

Yeah, I eat it all the time, regular ol' Kraft Mac and Cheese. There are directions for "light prep" on the box.
  • shivaslives
    shivaslives Posts: 279 Member
    I just had to laugh that so many people viewed and commented on the post with "mac and cheese" in the subject line. We all love it and its soooooo bad for us. You can't make pasta and creamy cheese sauce low calorie, but you can make it healthy and there are a lot of good suggestions here. Enjoy in moderation.
  • ChantalAguiar
    ChantalAguiar Posts: 55 Member
    If you have to ask you probably shouldn't eat it. You've got to train your body to enjoy and crave the healthy food it needs! It's not easy but I promise it will happen. You'll wake up thinking I want spinach, feta and egg whites not pancakes, hash browns and sausage.
  • fzyfrog
    fzyfrog Posts: 456 Member
    Just a warning about fat free cheese: don't eat it!

Fat free is not required. There is also lower fat or even 2% cheese would be fine. Any of those are still better than boxed mac and cheese.
  • havalinaaa
    havalinaaa Posts: 333 Member
    If you think this is a one time craving, or if it's something you only want every few months and the box stuff is what you crave, then have it and just drink some extra water, make room for it in your count for the day. If it's something you want weekly, find a healthier alternative.
  • IronmanPanda
    IronmanPanda Posts: 2,083 Member
    If you're going to eat cheese and dairy, go for the full fat stuff. You don't want the fat free crap.
    <-- These guns are a product of the full fat stuff.
  • ygglove
    ygglove Posts: 102 Member
    Have the grilled chicken and some grilled veggies and sprinkle them with parm. You will feel much better about your choices.

I understand that. That's why I was asking HOW bad it was for you. Obviously I don't want to do more harm to my body than I already have. It's been sitting in my pantry since before I started eating healthier and I had the urge to eat it.
This discussion has been closed.