Question about mac and cheese..

Replies

• vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    I had some tonight probably won't have it again for a few months.
  • ygglove
    ygglove Posts: 102 Member
    Boxed mac and cheese is loaded with fat and sodium. You'd be better off making your own. Whole grain elbow noodles, fat free cheese and some fat free greek yogurt give it a great creamy texture.

One day I'm going to try that. I've been eating greek yogurt lately- I've noticed it's becoming quite popular.
  • ygglove
    I had some tonight probably won't have it again for a few months.

Do you feel like it slows/slowed down your progress?
  • Silverkittycat
    Silverkittycat Posts: 1,997 Member
    It does have a decent amount of protein in it.:smile:
  • bjberry
    bjberry Posts: 665 Member
    Mac n cheese (boxed, with premade cheese pack) has 320 calories for a 1 cup serving.
    - 10g fat (90 calories),
    - 900 mg sodium,
    - 45g carbs, and
    - 1g fiber.
    I just wanted to remind you what is in boxes of noodles and premade cheese, without you having to make a special trip to research this item.
    Your choice! ;):drinker: (drink lots of water)
  • ygglove
    I just had to laugh that so many people viewed and commented on the post with "mac and cheese" in the subject line. We all love it and its soooooo bad for us. You can't make pasta and creamy cheese sauce low calorie, but you can make it healthy and there are a lot of good suggestions here. Enjoy in moderation.

Haha thank you (:
  • ygglove
    Mac n cheese (boxed, with premade cheese pack) has 320 calories for a 1 cup serving.
    - 10g fat (90 calories),
    - 900 mg sodium,
    - 45g carbs, and
    - 1g fiber.
    I just wanted to remind you what is in boxes of noodles and premade cheese, without you having to make a special trip to research this item.
    Your choice! ;):drinker: (drink lots of water)

Thanks, I read the label**. I was just more or less wondering how much it would SLOW down my efforts. I do drink a lot of water, I'm a water lover.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    I have a really good baked mac n' cheese recipe that is much much better for you.

1 medium box of macaroni noodles (whole wheat is better but regular noodles are fine too)
    1 egg
    2 cups fresh grated cheese (you can get whatever kind you like, but good melty cheddar works well)
    1 cup skim mozarella
    1 cup fresh chopped tomatos
    chopped basil
    chopped parsley
    1 clove diced garlic
    1 medium onion diced

Cook macaroni and drain. Preheat oven to 350. Mix all but basil and parsley in large casserole dish. Mix well and spread evenly over casserole dish. Mix in basil. Top with parsley. Bake for 15-20 minutes.

Serves 8. Serving size is about 1 cup.

You can also put tuna or diced grilled chicken in there. Just watch your portion sizes.

-

As for the box mac n' cheese, you can have it as long as it fits in your calorie budget for the day. Just make it a rare indulgence.
  • ygglove
    Thank you (:
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    I had a cup of it. Most of what I had the rest of today was fruit and veggies. I like pasta, and I eat it occasionally so I don't get a huge craving for it. I will drink some extra water and I will be fine.
  • ygglove
    STEP AWAY FROM THE MAC AND CHEESE BEFORE CAESER GET MAD!!!!
    chimp-gun.jpg

hahaha -stepping away from the MacNCheese
    ty
  • ygglove
    If you're going to eat cheese and dairy, go for the full fat stuff. You don't want the fat free crap.
    <-- These guns are a product of the full fat stuff.

haha thanks!
  • havalinaaa
    havalinaaa Posts: 333 Member
    One dish one day isn't going to wreck you. One dish every few months isn't going to wreck you. One dish on a daily or weekly basis might, especially if eating lots of processed foods is something you had trouble with in the past.

Personally, I feel like I can have a box of mac n cheese every few months and be ok. My diet is largely home cooked from whole foods, and the occasional processed item isn't something I worry about. Boxed mac n cheese is one of those foods I grew up eating, and no homemade mac n cheese will ever be it. No matter how good, or how much I like other mac n cheese, sometimes I want that crap my mom made me because it's what my mom made me, so I have it and don't sweat it. As long as I'm within my calorie count for the day, I see no problem for myself. YMMV.
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    As others have said, if it fits your macros why not have it?
    I would definately make it yourself though if you are having it. It will be so so much better for you and without the high levels of sodium.

I don't know what your calorie goal is but I made some for dinner tonight for myself, 743 cals, 33g fat, 569mg sodium. (my diary is open I think if you want to see it all) From my experience boxed mac and cheese's are around 6-700 cals anyway just more sodium.
    I didn't hold back on anything. Just regular pasta, made my own sauce (marg, semi skimmed milk, flour + full fat cheese) with cheese again on top at the end. I'm sure if you used less cheese (I used quite a bit) it might even come in around 600 cals. Plus I had it as a main meal on it's own. If you had it with chicken you'd be using even less pasta and with the chicken you'd be upping your protein. Sounds like a good meal if you ask me :)
  • ygglove
    I have a really good baked mac n' cheese recipe that is much much better for you.

1 medium box of macaroni noodles (whole wheat is better but regular noodles are fine too)
    1 egg
    2 cups fresh grated cheese (you can get whatever kind you like, but good melty cheddar works well)
    1 cup skim mozarella
    chopped basil
    chopped parsley
    1 clove diced garlic
    1 medium onion diced

Cook macaroni and drain. Preheat oven to 350. Mix all but basil and parsley in large casserole dish. Mix well and spread evenly over casserole dish. Mix in basil. Top with parsley. Bake for 15-20 minutes.

You can also put tuna or diced grilled chicken in there. Just watch your portion sizes.

-

As for the box mac n' cheese, you can have it as long as it fits in your calorie budget for the day. Just make it a rare indulgence.

That sounds really good!
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member

1 egg
    1 cup skim mozarella
    chopped basil
    chopped parsley
    1 clove diced garlic
    1 medium onion diced

-

That sounds really good!

It is wonderful. We make it on the holidays with fresh crab meat and lobster.
  • If you're going to eat cheese and dairy, go for the full fat stuff. You don't want the fat free crap.

<---- same with this body!

Everything in moderation. I love mac and cheese :D

As long as you are in a calorie deficit and hit your macros it will not halt or slow down your progress.

I don't pay much attention to sodium, I don't have any heart problems that I need to. Sure it masks weight loss temporarily,b ut it doesnt mess with fat loss so i dont care
  • ygglove
    If you're going to eat cheese and dairy, go for the full fat stuff. You don't want the fat free crap.

As long as you are in a calorie deficit and hit your macros it will not halt or slow down your progress.

I don't pay much attention to sodium, I don't have any heart problems that I need to. Sure it masks weight loss temporarily,b ut it doesnt mess with fat loss so i dont care

I'm just worried about it stalling my progress.
  • If you're going to eat cheese and dairy, go for the full fat stuff. You don't want the fat free crap.

I'm just worried about it stalling my progress.

Oh I understand :]

Just wondering, what about the mac and cheese makes you think it will stall your fat loss? Just curious :]
  • martalaurazayas
    martalaurazayas Posts: 75 Member
    I want to put "Cesar" on my refrigerator, that was sooooo very funny. Thanks for posting it.

In my opinion if the urge is so very strong then there might be another issue at hand. Mac & Cheese is one of those "comfort" foods that we use to make us feel better. Maybe you feel a bit restricted with your diet and want to soothe yourself. If this is the case, its not your taste buds doing the talking but rather your heart. I say, treat yourself to something else that is soothing, how about a great spa day? You don't even have to go to an expensive spa for the treat. Carve out some "me" time for this weekend and give yourself some pampering. Go all out, give yourself a manicure, pedicure, facial, light up some fragrant candles and play some soothing music. Enjoy and you may find you have no more cravings. This will make you AND Cesar very happy.
This discussion has been closed.