Can you have To Much protein?

Options

Replies

• bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    It is possible to get too much protein but it doesn't sound like you are that much over so you are probably fine. If you have any diseases or conditions that affect your kidneys you should check with your doctor though, as excessive protein can further tax your kidneys. Also, be sure you are drinking plenty of liquids to prevent kidney stones (citrus is also helps prevent them so some lemon or lime in your water or tea is a good idea).
  • PBJunky
    PBJunky Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure what to make of this thread, some **** advice going back and forth
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    Yes, there is very bad stuff related to eating protein only:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ketosis
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ketogenic_diet

Still, eating a bit over your proteins recommended by MFP shouldn't be dangerous, I do it myself.
    Ketosis is not caused by too much Protein. Ketosis is caused by running out of glycogen stores, which means you have not eaten enough Carbohydrates.
    Well, if you eat ONLY protein then I guess you're not eating enough carbs... seems kind of unlikely though.
  • MrsSpinks
    MrsSpinks Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Aaaaaah, I see... you do see a lot of that on here! Thank you joejccva71!
  • bcattoes
    Options
    NOT too much! Hahaha! Don't ever worry about protein, eat as much as you want/can.

It's dangerous to assume that is safe for everyone.
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    I found this online.

Find out how consuming too much protein can harm your body.

By Miriam Nelson
    WebMD Feature

Reviewed By Gary Vogin

Seems like everyone at the gym is doing it: filling up on protein to bulk up those biceps. But it's a misconception. Eating extra protein actually doesn't do much toward boosting your muscle mass and strength.

In fact, medical research shows that consuming too much protein -- more than 30% of your total daily caloric intake -- could actually harm your body, says protein expert Gail Butterfield, PhD, RD, director of Nutrition Studies at the Palo Alto Veterans' Administration Medical Center and nutrition lecturer at Stanford University.

Ideally, you should consume 0.36 grams of protein for every pound of body weight, according to recommended daily allowances (RDA) set by the Food and Nutrition Board. So if you weigh 170 pounds, you need about 61 grams of protein each day.

1. There is nothing wrong with consuming more than 30% protein of your total daily calorie intake. It's where you consume a massive excess protein in one sitting where there's a risk.

2. Athletes and Bodybuilders or anyone who is into fitness should consume .50g - 1g of protein per lb of bodyweight or 1g - 1.25g per lb of LBM at minimum.

So I will argue this "researcher" or "scientist" that you posted above.
  • liftingbro
    liftingbro Posts: 2,029 Member
    Options
    I found this online.

Find out how consuming too much protein can harm your body.

By Miriam Nelson
    WebMD Feature

Reviewed By Gary Vogin

Seems like everyone at the gym is doing it: filling up on protein to bulk up those biceps. But it's a misconception. Eating extra protein actually doesn't do much toward boosting your muscle mass and strength.

In fact, medical research shows that consuming too much protein -- more than 30% of your total daily caloric intake -- could actually harm your body, says protein expert Gail Butterfield, PhD, RD, director of Nutrition Studies at the Palo Alto Veterans' Administration Medical Center and nutrition lecturer at Stanford University.

She says that a diet containing excess protein can have the following adverse effects:

Adding more protein but not more calories or exercise to your diet won't help you build more muscle mass, but it may put your other bodily systems under stress.
    Eating more protein and increasing total caloric intake while maintaining the same exercise level will build an equal amount of additional fat and muscle mass, according to a study published in 1992 in the Journal of the American Geriatrics Society.
    Too Much Protein
    So think twice when you consider sacrificing the carbohydrates for a protein-dominant diet, Butterfield says. Drastically cutting carbohydrates from your diet may force your body to fight back.

She says that's because a diet in which protein makes up more than 30% of your caloric intake causes a buildup of toxic ketones. So-called ketogenic diets can thrust your kidneys into overdrive in order to flush these ketones from your body. As your kidneys rid your body of these toxic ketones, you can lose a significant amount of water, which puts you at risk of dehydration, particularly if you exercise heavily.

That water loss often shows up on the scale as weight loss. But along with losing water, you lose muscle mass and bone calcium. The dehydration also strains your kidneys and puts stress on your heart.

And dehydration from a ketogenic diet can make you feel weak and dizzy, give you bad breath, or lead to other problems.

How Much Protein Do I Need?
    The amount of protein you require depends on your weight and your daily caloric intake. Most Americans consume more than enough protein in their daily diets. A few specific groups of people are at risk for being protein-deficient, including elderly women and people with illnesses or eating disorders. A protein deficiency is defined as eating 50% to 75% of the recommended amount of daily protein, Butterfield explains.

Ideally, you should consume 0.36 grams of protein for every pound of body weight, according to recommended daily allowances (RDA) set by the Food and Nutrition Board. So if you weigh 170 pounds, you need about 61 grams of protein each day.

Protein should also make up approximately 15% of your total daily caloric intake, also according to the RDA. In a diet of 1,800 calories a day, for example, about 270 of those calories should come from protein.

It's Essential
    Although limiting protein intake is important, you should also realize that protein is essential to our bodies' normal functions. It assists in synthesizing enzymes and hormones, maintaining fluid balance, and regulating such vital functions as building antibodies against infection, blood clotting, and scar formation.

Protein is also a building block for our muscles, bones, cartilage, skin, hair, and blood. Protein-rich foods include meat, cheese, milk, fish, and eggs. For vegetarians, protein can be found in soy products such as tofu as well as in combinations of foods, such as rice or corn with beans.

Whether you are an avid strength trainer, a marathon runner, or just an average exerciser, a balanced diet that is rich in fruits, vegetables, whole grains, lean meats, fish, and complex carbohydrates is what nutritionists recommend.

With all respect to that MD she has clearly not been reading any recent studies.

#1- I have a specialty in clinical chemistry and have never, ever in 10 years heard of a single patient that ever had kidney or liver damage due to excess protein.

#2- Transplant patients have been given large amounts of protein in studies and it has improved organ function.

#3- Can you OD on protein? Yes but you can OD on water too.
  • Tippytoesk8er
    Options
    I don't think your protein consumption could be harmful at all, but yes, too much protein isn't a good thing. During my early teen years, I was eating a protein rich diet. The result was that I felt exhausted all the time, and couldn't do any physical activity, yet I was skeletal skinny. Tests at the doctors office revealed that my kidneys were overloaded and weren't functioning right.
  • PBJunky
    PBJunky Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    Choking on a piece of steak can be fatal.

OP I consume up to 200 grams of protein a day, don't worry
  • liftingbro
    Options
    NOT too much! Hahaha! Don't ever worry about protein, eat as much as you want/can.

There are a few rare metabolic disorders that excess protein is an issue or if you already have kidney disease. People with normal, healthy kidneys have absolutely no trouble with taking as much as 500-800g of protein a day. Granted, I've never heard of anyone taking 800g a day, but even that wouldn't be harmful to the average person. Now if you are a bodybuilder with a huge amount of muscle mass and extreme training, you may need 300-400g per day or more.
  • joejccva71
    Options
    You have to actually TRY to hurt yourself to eat too much protein to be harmful to your kidneys, etc.
  • liftingbro
    Options

Still, eating a bit over your proteins recommended by MFP shouldn't be dangerous, I do it myself.
    BloodsportAAAAAAA.gif
  • AlwaysWanderer
    AlwaysWanderer Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    I eat 130g of protein a day (40% of total calories), and I'm 123lbs. Hasnt done me any harm :)
  • bcattoes
    Options

There are a few rare metabolic disorders that excess protein is an issue or if you already have kidney disease.

And that is my point.
  • Jackie9950
    Jackie9950 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I'm a bit slow when it comes to forum speak, but what is 'trolling'? :embarassed:

In Internet slang, a troll is someone who posts inflammatory,[2] extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community, such as an online discussion forum, chat room, or blog, with the primary intent of provoking readers into an emotional response[3] or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion.

Bump
  • liftingbro
    Options

There are a few rare metabolic disorders that excess protein is an issue or if you already have kidney disease.

And that is my point.

Chances are the people that have those disorders already know it because they would be pretty severe early in life and they most likely would have been on a lower protein diet already.
  • joejccva71
    Options
    Bcatts don't start today. Seriously. Let's have a good Friday.
  • Uerzer
    Uerzer Posts: 273
    Options

Ketosis is not caused by too much Protein. Ketosis is caused by running out of glycogen stores, which means you have not eaten enough Carbohydrates.
    Well, if you eat ONLY protein then I guess you're not eating enough carbs... seems kind of unlikely though.

Not trolling, doctors sometimes use ketogenic diets even for bodyloss... you need to get blood samples very often though, just because it is dangerous.
    Still, as i said, thats not common. Nothing is safe out of moderation. Eat too much sugars and get type 2 diabetes! lol

And that is my point.

Here, that's also not trolling lol

I'm not gonna tell anyone to eat as many proteins as they want... what if they listen to me, eat proteins and nothing else? I'm not risking it for their own good.
  • bcattoes
    Options
    Bcatts don't start today. Seriously. Let's have a good Friday.

What?!? Don't start what? Don't advise people that blanketly assuming everyone is healthy and what works for one will work for all is dangerous? Um, no, sorry.
  • joejccva71
    Options

Not trolling, doctors sometimes use ketogenic diets even for bodyloss... you need to get blood samples very often though, just because it is dangerous.
    Still, as i said, thats not common. Nothing is safe out of moderation. Eat too much sugars and get type 2 diabetes! lol

And that is my point.

Here, that's also not trolling lol

I'm not gonna tell anyone to eat as many proteins as they want... what if they listen to me, eat proteins and nothing else? I'm not risking it for their own good.

I think you have a misunderstanding of what a ketogenic diet is or even how to get into ketosis. You're supposed to be a M.D., correct? *not being a smarta$$, just asking*