Can you have To Much protein?

Options

Replies

• joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    Bcatts don't start today. Seriously. Let's have a good Friday.

What?!? Don't start what? Don't advise people that blanketly assuming everyone is healthy and what works for one will work for all. Um, no, sorry.

Don't start your usual ramble that you bring everyday. The original post wasn't about who was healthy and who wasn't. It was a blanket statement about "can you have too much protein?". Then the post of this "researcher" or "scientist" or worse ..a "doctor" claims about studies showing that you will have problems if you consume over 30% protein of your DCI, which is false.

Then there was a statement about consuming .36g per lb of bodyweight and NO MORE THAN THAT, which is also FALSE.

Which part DONT you quite understand?
  • liftingbro
    liftingbro Posts: 2,029 Member
    Options
    Yes, there is very bad stuff related to eating protein only:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ketosis
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ketogenic_diet

Still, eating a bit over your proteins recommended by MFP shouldn't be dangerous, I do it myself.
    Ketosis is not caused by too much Protein. Ketosis is caused by running out of glycogen stores, which means you have not eaten enough Carbohydrates.
    Well, if you eat ONLY protein then I guess you're not eating enough carbs... seems kind of unlikely though.

Not trolling, doctors sometimes use ketogenic diets even for bodyloss... you need to get blood samples very often though, just because it is dangerous.
    Still, as i said, thats not common. Nothing is safe out of moderation. Eat too much sugars and get type 2 diabetes! lol

It's dangerous to assume that is safe for everyone.
    There are a few rare metabolic disorders that excess protein is an issue or if you already have kidney disease.
    And that is my point.

Here, that's also not trolling lol

I'm not gonna tell anyone to eat as many proteins as they want... what if they listen to me, eat proteins and nothing else? I'm not risking it for their own good.

Ketosis in of itself isn't dangerous it is the reason that you are in ketosis that's the issue. If you are diabetic then ketosis is bad, if you are not diabetic then ketosis isn't harmful. This is basic stuff people.

Eating sugar DOES NOT MAKE YOU GET DIABETES!

Diabetes is a combination of genetics, eating too much fat and having high trigs and/or being overweight.

I would suggest if you don't even know the basics on the subject you just quit commenting like you do.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    why are people like this allowed on the boards??

protein is fine.
  • MarissaR65
    MarissaR65 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    OK, I'm late joining this party.:tongue: There's a formula to calculate how much protein you need.

"Protein provides essential amino acids; the building blocks needed for most every human function from thinking to walking to breathing. Humans need about 9 grams of protein for every 20 pounds of body weight (For example, if you weigh 160 pounds, you'd need to consume about 72 grams of protein each day). "

What is here is a general number. I always go over, too, but in the back of my mind I know what the calculations for my weight suggests :glasses:
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Bcatts don't start today. Seriously. Let's have a good Friday.

What?!? Don't start what? Don't advise people that blanketly assuming everyone is healthy and what works for one will work for all. Um, no, sorry.

Don't start your usual ramble that you bring everyday. The original post wasn't about who was healthy and who wasn't. It was a blanket statement about "can you have too much protein?". Then the post of this "researcher" or "scientist" or worse ..a "doctor" claims about studies showing that you will have problems if you consume over 30% protein of your DCI, which is false.

Then there was a statement about consuming .36g per lb of bodyweight and NO MORE THAN THAT, which is also FALSE.

Which part DONT you quite understand?

The post I replied to made a blanket statement to "eat all the protein you want". It wasn't your post nor was my reply to you so what I don't understand is the insults or the 'know-it-all' attitude, though I can't say I'm surprised by them.
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    OK, I'm late joining this party.:tongue: There's a formula to calculate how much protein you need.

"Protein provides essential amino acids; the building blocks needed for most every human function from thinking to walking to breathing. Humans need about 9 grams of protein for every 20 pounds of body weight (For example, if you weigh 160 pounds, you'd need to consume about 72 grams of protein each day). "

What is here is a general number. I always go over, too, but in the back of my mind I know what the calculations for my weight suggests :glasses:

Again, it depends on if someone is bodybuilding, an athlete, or in fitness.
  • Uerzer
    Uerzer Posts: 273
    Options
    Oh God......I'm not gonna bother quoting this time.

Let's go back to the beginning:
    Original question:
    "Can you eat too much protein? Is there anything bad that will happen by having all this protein?"

Now please tell me...
    Is it POSSIBLE? Of course it is.
    Why? Ketosis.
    Should I bother? No

That's what I said on my first post.

Next posts:
    Is it dangerous to assume that something is safe for everyone? Of course it is.

Diabetes ? It's all about insulin resistance and X syndrome
  • Shock_Wave
    Shock_Wave Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    OP the amount of protein your taking for a normal healthy person is fine. Actually kind of low imo.

If you have kidney problems then high protein can be harmful. Lastly I take a little over a gram of protein per body weight a day and I went to get my physical and then I had some blood work done. My kidney levels were in the 240+ range if I remember correctly. My doc said it was higher than normal and yes my kidneys were stressed/over worked over a normal range because of the high protein levels. He said he was expecting my protein to be high as I am into fitness and growing lean muscle mass and to just drink alot of water/fluids. My kidney are fine and function fine but I still give them a break from time to time just because I know that I do over work them. So yes its possible to over do your protein but to what extent is unknown to me other than what I wrote. I guess it just depends on how healthy and how well you treat your organs.
  • liftingbro
    Options

For an MD you are dangerously dense.

It's syndrome X, not to be confused with Fragile X Syndrome. Syndrome X is exactly what I described in my post above.

Again, you stated that sugar will give you diabetes, that is clearly not true.
  • lockef
    lockef Posts: 466
    Options
    Oh God......I'm not gonna bother quoting this time.

Let's go back to the beginning:
    Original question:
    "Can you eat too much protein? Is there anything bad that will happen by having all this protein?"

Now please tell me...
    Is it POSSIBLE? Of course it is.
    Why? Ketosis.
    Should I bother? No

That's what I said on my first post.

Next posts:
    Is it dangerous to assume that something is safe for everyone? Of course it is.

*facepalm*

Ketosis is only dangerous in T1 diabetics. Too much protein =/= ketosis. Your body can still create glucose from protein. You're body will NOT go into ketosis from too much protein.

Ask me how I know this.

You obviously have no knowledge on ketogenic diets. I'd suggest you read YOUR links before typing stuff up about stuff you THINK you know. Even better, go buy this book, read it, then come back on here and post some knowledge...

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/the-ketogenic-diet
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    I found this online.

Find out how consuming too much protein can harm your body.

By Miriam Nelson
    WebMD Feature

Reviewed By Gary Vogin

Seems like everyone at the gym is doing it: filling up on protein to bulk up those biceps. But it's a misconception. Eating extra protein actually doesn't do much toward boosting your muscle mass and strength.

In fact, medical research shows that consuming too much protein -- more than 30% of your total daily caloric intake -- could actually harm your body, says protein expert Gail Butterfield, PhD, RD, director of Nutrition Studies at the Palo Alto Veterans' Administration Medical Center and nutrition lecturer at Stanford University.

Ideally, you should consume 0.36 grams of protein for every pound of body weight, according to recommended daily allowances (RDA) set by the Food and Nutrition Board. So if you weigh 170 pounds, you need about 61 grams of protein each day.

1. There is nothing wrong with consuming more than 30% protein of your total daily calorie intake. It's where you consume a massive excess protein in one sitting where there's a risk.

2. Athletes and Bodybuilders or anyone who is into fitness should consume .50g - 1g of protein per lb of bodyweight or 1g - 1.25g per lb of LBM at minimum.

So I will argue this "researcher" or "scientist" that you posted above.
    I think I would listen to a scientist before someone on fitnesspal.
  • PBJunky
    PBJunky Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    I found this online.

By Miriam Nelson
    WebMD Feature

Reviewed By Gary Vogin

Seems like everyone at the gym is doing it: filling up on protein to bulk up those biceps. But it's a misconception. Eating extra protein actually doesn't do much toward boosting your muscle mass and strength.

In fact, medical research shows that consuming too much protein -- more than 30% of your total daily caloric intake -- could actually harm your body, says protein expert Gail Butterfield, PhD, RD, director of Nutrition Studies at the Palo Alto Veterans' Administration Medical Center and nutrition lecturer at Stanford University.

Ideally, you should consume 0.36 grams of protein for every pound of body weight, according to recommended daily allowances (RDA) set by the Food and Nutrition Board. So if you weigh 170 pounds, you need about 61 grams of protein each day.

1. There is nothing wrong with consuming more than 30% protein of your total daily calorie intake. It's where you consume a massive excess protein in one sitting where there's a risk.

2. Athletes and Bodybuilders or anyone who is into fitness should consume .50g - 1g of protein per lb of bodyweight or 1g - 1.25g per lb of LBM at minimum.

I listen to my mom, she knows all the answers in the world
  • liftingbro
    Options
    I found this online.

By Miriam Nelson
    WebMD Feature

Reviewed By Gary Vogin

Believe it or not many scientists and MDs really don't know as much as they think they do as is clear by one poster in this thread. The stuff quoted in that article is old stuff, not using any of the more recent studies that show that there is no danger to normal healthy people and that in fact protein will help you gain or maintain muscle mass. It's simply one person who's not up on their reading.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I found this online.

By Miriam Nelson
    WebMD Feature

Reviewed By Gary Vogin

You should take all advice from strangers on the internet who begin their posts with insults. That is a sign that they are really smart.
  • WendyFitMomCHANGED
    WendyFitMomCHANGED Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Choking on a piece of steak can be fatal.

OP I consume up to 200 grams of protein a day, don't worry

Hahahahaha
  • catcrazy
    catcrazy Posts: 1,740 Member
    Options
    *******************************************FRIENDLY WARNING*******************************************

This could be a useful thread, please it it civil or risk having it locked/deleted

Respectful debate on any message in the forums is acceptable. Attacking the messenger is not.

Please note the following forum rule:

4) Do not attack/slam/insult other users. The forums are here so that members can help support one another. Attacks or insults against each other takes away from the supportive atmosphere and will not be tolerated. You can discuss the message or topic, but not the messenger - NO EXCEPTIONS. If you are attacked by another user, and you reciprocate, YOU will also be subject to the same consequences. Defending yourself, defending a friend, etc. are NOT excuses. Violations of this rule are taken very seriously and may result in being banned without warning! If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all.

CatCrazy
    MyFitnessPal Forum Moderator
  • Shock_Wave
    Shock_Wave Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    Wow this thread is going haywire. lol :) As I posted on page 2 if your worried about your protein intake and how its effecting your body simply go and get some blood work done sit down and discuss it with your Dr. Simple as that. :)
  • liftingbro
    Options
    *******************************************FRIENDLY WARNING*******************************************

This could be a useful thread, please it it civil or risk having it locked/deleted

Respectful debate on any message in the forums is acceptable. Attacking the messenger is not.

Please note the following forum rule:

4) Do not attack/slam/insult other users. The forums are here so that members can help support one another. Attacks or insults against each other takes away from the supportive atmosphere and will not be tolerated. You can discuss the message or topic, but not the messenger - NO EXCEPTIONS. If you are attacked by another user, and you reciprocate, YOU will also be subject to the same consequences. Defending yourself, defending a friend, etc. are NOT excuses. Violations of this rule are taken very seriously and may result in being banned without warning! If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all.

CatCrazy
    MyFitnessPal Forum Moderator

Can you point out the attacks because I just see a conversation going on here. We have a person claiming to be an MD (which i seriously doubt by his/her posts). If questioning someone's credentials is attacking that is pretty weak.
  • WendyFitMomCHANGED
    WendyFitMomCHANGED Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    It's on the internet...must be true.

"You can't believe every quote you find on the internet." ~ Abraham Lincoln

Thanks all for the advice. I'm eating a balanced diet (so yes, I have carbs). Just seems that I eat high protein but good to know the site sets it low. I don't go above 100g per day or at least I haven't yet. Glad there's helpful people on here. Thx again.

Those of you that are arguing ......"Don't make me separate you!" LOL
  • PBJunky
    PBJunky Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    Wow this thread is going haywire. lol :) As I posted on page 2 if your worried about your protein intake and how its effecting your body simply go and get some blood work done sit down and discuss it with your Dr. Simple as that. :)

Great suggestion, though expensive where I'm from but you can determine a lot from bloodwork...also T-levels which is great info