Is a divorced woman/single mother less attractive?

Options

Replies

• kbjork7
    Options
    My best guy friend says that he knows alot of guys that actually prefer dating divorcees regardless of the children because the woman is usually more mature and experienced when it comes to relationships.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Not sure what prompted this, but I've been a single mother for 17 years and haven't noticed less male attention because of it. :-)

I've lived with someone the last almost seven years, though.

the "divorced man" thread.

I'm actually quite confident in being a single mother!

I'll have to go look. I haven't really been on the boards much today and haven't seen it.

Anyway, like I said above, a lot of men say they'll never date a single mom until they meet one they like. I guess the era of online dating is detrimental to that because if you say you don't have a kid to attract men at the initial stages, then you're lying. But a lot of guys WILL write you off over it without getting to know you. The same men who if they met you elsewhere might rethink their stance.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    Divorced woman would be fine if it's one divorce, more than that I'd have to think about it.

Single mom would be fine if I wanted kids, but since I don't, I would not date her.
  • PBJunky
    PBJunky Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    Uhm hell no...we have a divorced woman in our office building which is breathtakingly beautiful and best of all she has a personality to die for...so easy to approach and have a conversation with her.
  • Bigaug
    Bigaug Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    In a word, no. To elaborate, single moms are just as a attractive as any woman. I have dated on both sides of the fence and the reasons I had problems with single moms was generally single fathers. Who needs all that bloody drama?
  • Deckershann
    Deckershann Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Ummm I'm not single but my mom is...single mom of four and to me she has never looked sexier, stronger, or more beautiful than now. She is my hero. Her relationship of 27 freakin' years was mostly a nightmare. I look up to her more than any other woman.
  • chocolateandvodka
    chocolateandvodka Posts: 1,856 Member
    Options
    Turnabout is fairplay.

i know i'm about to get sooooo much hate mail for this but ---- i agree.

i will not date you seriously if you have kids. and if i do? *whispers... (then i'm probably just sticking around for the sleepovers)

hate if you want, it's the truth.
  • SarabellPlus3
    SarabellPlus3 Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    My experience with friends is that divorce isn't really an issue, but not everyone wants to take on kids, I guess that seems fair to me.
  • superflyrbi
    superflyrbi Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Not even. My current wife was a single mother and that chick was/is hot! (still 12 years later)
  • Loko_Ino
    Loko_Ino Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    simply put, no
  • Iamfit4life
    Iamfit4life Posts: 3,095 Member
    Options
    BTW
    Let me clarify

I am quite confident in myself and being a single mother, as I think we all should be.

I posted this in response to the "Divorced male" thread because why not... thought it might bring up interesting discussion.
  • PBJunky
    Options
    Divorced woman would be fine if it's one divorce, more than that I'd have to think about it.

Single mom would be fine if I wanted kids, but since I don't, I would not date her.

pfffft you are telling me you won't date someone like Jennifer Aniston even if she had kids??
  • Miss_Chievous_wechange
    Miss_Chievous_wechange Posts: 1,230 Member
    Options
    < ---- I think I look pretty f*cking attractive. That is all.
  • Iamfit4life
    Iamfit4life Posts: 3,095 Member
    Options
    Turnabout is fairplay.

i know i'm about to get sooooo much hate mail for this but ---- i agree.

i will not date you seriously if you have kids. and if i do? *whispers... (then i'm probably just sticking around for the sleepovers)

hate if you want, it's the truth.
    Who can hate that? It's the truth? If you aren't comfortable with something, you aren't.
  • Shanna_Inc86
    Shanna_Inc86 Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    The biggest problem I've run into is the time thing.
    I can't and WON'T go out during the week, that's my time with my daughter
    NO I'm not just shoving her off on grandma and grandpa...I kinda like her like A LOT

I have like one day a week that I can consistently see a guy and most men are big babies who need more attention than that :laugh:
  • PBJunky
    Options
    < ---- I think I look pretty f*cking attractive. That is all.

=) Yes you do
  • flimflamfloz
    flimflamfloz Posts: 1,980 Member
    Options
    Depends on the age range I guess.

It's probably harder for younger single moms (less than 30) I would guess.
    I suspect in their 30s, lots of people are trying to settle down, so men would be less "bothered" by the fact that the miss is also a mum.

I personally don't really want to deal with single mums at this stage (I mean having them as girlfriends, friends is fine) - but then again never say never right? It just feels this would be much more of a "pain" for me to have to "compete" for attention "against" the child (or even night outs, etc). Child who I completely appreciate should come before me. Then again, I am rather independent, so I would just ask for troubles going into this kind of relationship.
    (hope I did not sound rude, just trying to explain what crosses my mind)
  • jamesdelong
    jamesdelong Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Not at all.. the last two relationships I was in both had children. I'm attracted to what I am attracted to regardless of the situation.

However the ones I dated that didn't have children I was able to do more spontaneous things with.
    But to answer the question.. Nope children or divorced doesn't make anyone less attractive in my eyes.
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    All things being equal, yes. But when are all things equal in love? You find the right girl and she's got a kid, you don't just keep looking.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

OK, but what about this? I'm a single mom, but my one and only child (and I don't want more) is 17 and a senior in high school. She still lives with me, but she's pretty much an adult at this point. A lot less responsibility on my part, she's pretty much raised.

So, would you write off a woman like me if you liked everything else about her? There are degrees of "single mom," so saying you wouldn't date one because you don't want kids doesn't really cover it all.