How often do you weigh?

Options
Hi!

I have been on MFP for only 3 days. I'm just curious, how often does everyone weigh? For me, it seems that in the beginning, I become too discouraged by the the scale. The inpatient part of me kicks in and I feel defeated.

Replies

• holzjw1482
    holzjw1482 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Once a week. I think there are too many fluctuations throughout a week that can discourage you.
  • yesthistime
    yesthistime Posts: 2,051 Member
    Options
    Every morning. If I lose, I feel encouraged to keep going. If I stay the same, I make some minor adjustments from the day before to make sure I show a loss the next morning. If I gain, it's the reality check I need to get focused and make sure the number doesn't continue to creep up.
  • ChantalAguiar
    ChantalAguiar Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Once a week or when I remember to step on the scale during the week. I never weigh myself at night though I usally do it early in the morning!
  • melruiz5
    melruiz5 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I weigh once a week. Always at the same time. Then, I make a weekly goal. It usually helps. If you weigh everyday, you may get obsessed with it and it becomes more than it should. If you are just starting out, I would suggest weekly goals. They are more likely to stick than daily ones. :happy:
  • ShelleyD81
    ShelleyD81 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself once a week, I was weighing on a Monday morning but have changed to Friday.
    I also weigh myself wearing as little as possible!
  • nikki_att84
    nikki_att84 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    everyday...!!! i wish i wasnt an addict!
  • stresco
    stresco Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Every morning... Fluctuations in my morning weight helps me adjust my eating habits from the day before.
  • IronmanPanda
    IronmanPanda Posts: 2,083 Member
    Options
    I used to weigh once a week, and at some point I started weighing every day. Now I weigh once every couple weeks or so.
  • TheCats_Meow
    TheCats_Meow Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Every morning. Sometime's in the evening, too.

It's a good way for me, personally, to keep myself in check. I tend to stray way off course if I don't keep a close watch on it, so weighing every day is a good way for me to keep on top of things.
  • aussiesarah
    aussiesarah Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I changed from once a week to almost daily recently and in my experience it is a very bad idea.

The little fluctuations that I get from day to day are hard to ignore and any small gains are discouraging even though I should really know that they will probably be gone in a couple of days.

I've therefore promised myself to go back to once a week from now on :o)
  • rmartin72
    rmartin72 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    I weigh once a week on Saturdays:flowerforyou:
  • GkMusic
    GkMusic Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I used to weigh everyday, if not twice a day. I am also impatient and often got stressed out if I ever saw the number go up instead of down. So now, I am only weighing myself once a week and I am a much more happy person.
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    Most people seem to recommend weighing about once a week. Personally, I'm a little obsessive and like to do it every day. The thing is, when you do it every day you will either see very very small drops or you may even see it go up for several days before coming back down. It can drive you nuts if you're not prepared for it. Over the first couple of months my number consistenly went down about 0.2-0.4 lbs each day. Then I started really working out more and now it jumps around a bit, even though I know I'm staying very close to my calorie goal. I've seen more informed people talk about water retention and glycogen and other things I'm not educated in LOL so I assume that's what's going on when my number is up for a few days and then suddenly drops back down to lower than it was before. I know I'm still making progress, but my scale does a little roller coaster ride before the number drops back down low again. Anyway, I weigh just about every day (wearing only my undergarments, after using the bathroom but before eating - logic being that I want to see what *I* weigh, not what *I plus some other stuff that is about to get out or that I just put in* weighs LOL), but I only log in the numbers that I know 'make sense' i.e. the ones that are lower than the last number I logged. B/c I know I'm following the plan correctly, I don't let the 'weird' numbers phase me.
  • hazelnut861
    hazelnut861 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Im an obsesser. I weigh every morning but only track what I weigh on Saturdays or if the number has been consistent for a few days. I know I fluctuate so I don't let it discourage me but im still amazed how much im losing. When I see in the morning that I weigh less than I did 3 months ago I kept it in mind all day and it helps me stay on track.
  • kimad
    kimad Posts: 3,010 Member
    Options
    Once a week in the AM with very little on!
    I started weighing everyday and I was getting a bit to paranoid about all the flucutations, so I stopped that.
    Sometimes I will weigh myself a couple days before weigh in, which motivates me....
  • wendybird2
    wendybird2 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I just posted a blog about how to track your 10-day weight average instead of your daily weight, in order to minimize freak-outs over (usually harmless) water weight fluctuations. Check it out here:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/wendybird2/view/tracking-your-weight-in-excel-163697
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    2-4 times a day hahaha
  • rachelm_16
    rachelm_16 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I think it totally depends on where you are in the weight loss cycle. For me, once a week was best when I started out so I didn't get discouraged when I was just starting to try to create better habits. After those habits were in place, I started weighing myself more frequently to keep my weight loss goals in my mind and to help keep myself in check.
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Once per week, Wednesdays before work. That's what the experts say to do because your weight changes during each day and from one day to the next. Weighing in more than that just drives you nuts and is not the way to go.
  • Mandymoos93
    Options
    I weigh once a week- Sunday mornings, before breakfast.