Brown Rice! OMG!!!

Options
Ok now that I have your attention ;o) I want to add brown rice to my diet. I need low sodium low cal GOOD TASTING rice. What do you guys buy?

Replies

• joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    Uncle Bens?
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    uuh, just plain brown rice. Get it in the bulk section, that's where it's the cheapest.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    i buy white rice as it's tastier to me. and brown rice isn't any better than white rice imo
  • ♥_Ellybean_♥
    ♥_Ellybean_♥ Posts: 1,646 Member
    Options
    I buy browns instant rice ... I don't know the sodium, but I don't have it enough to care.
  • Ashley_Panda
    Ashley_Panda Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    I buy the steamer bags in the frozen section. It's enough for me and hubby and I just have to pop it in the microwave for a few minutes.
  • cjsanford63
    cjsanford63 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I'm not a fan of regular brown rice. So instead I get either the Brown Basmati or Brown Jasmine Rice from Traders Joes. Very yummy.
  • ashnm88
    ashnm88 Posts: 748
    Options
    Minute Rice Whole Grain Brown Rice
  • slimkitty
    slimkitty Posts: 418
    Options
    Brown basmati rice. First toast the rice in the pan, just stirring it around until the first grains start to pop. Add water or broth, tsp of butter and salt to taste. Bring to a boil very quickly, lower the heat to a simmer, cover and cook until it's done. Don't stir it while it's cooking. Basmati rice is supposed to be lower on the glycemic index than other rices - if you care about those things.

This is my favorite way of cooking rice. As far as white rice is concerned I love White Jasmati rice. I cook it very rarely because I tend to eat too much of it.
  • slimkitty
    slimkitty Posts: 418
    Options
    Duplicate post
  • rebysue
    rebysue Posts: 136
    Options
    Not a big brown rice fan myself and have never been able to get it to cook right. The only way I can tolerate it is to buy Minute brand instant or the microwave freezer stuff.
  • Jennyisbusy
    Jennyisbusy Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options
    Ok now that I have your attention ;o) I want to add brown rice to my diet. I need low sodium low cal GOOD TASTING rice. What do you guys buy?

Store brand unless it's on sale. I cook the rice in chicken broth instead of water - I am sure you could use a low sodium broth and get good results. Depending on what you are using it with you can add olive oil, or fresh herbs, etc.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Mrs. Dash. These seasonings are great and salt free but so flavorful that you won't miss the salt.
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    Brown basmati rice. First toast the rice in the pan, just stirring it around until the first grains start to pop. Add water or broth, tsp of butter and salt to taste. Bring to a boil very quickly, lower the heat to a simmer, cover and cook until it's done. Don't stir it while it's cooking. Basmati rice is supposed to be lower on the glycemic index than other rices - if you care about those things.

This is my favorite way of cooking rice. As far as white rice is concerned I love White Jasmati rice. I cook it very rarely because I tend to eat too much of it.

This ^ but throw in some shredded carrots, golden raisins, a half pinch of cardamom and a pinch of cinnamon. If you cook it like this you really will be saying BROWN RICE! OMG!!!
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options

Ditto! It's the big brown box, 1.2Kg, about $5 which makes it 35 cents a serving or so. It cooks in 10 minutes unlike regular brown rice which takes 45+ and is 6% DRI/150mg of sodium. If sodium is a problem for you try Zinda Couscous, 0mg sodium.
  • lkblazek
    Options
    I haven't found much difference between the brand of brown rice, but I tend to use the long-grain or medium-grain rice. I prefer the regular long cooking rice, but when I'm in a hurry I use the 90 second, cook in the microwave type. I believe it's Uncle Ben's but antihistimines have fogged the brain.
  • paravision
    Options
    Mrs. Dash. These seasonings are great and salt free but so flavorful that you won't miss the salt.
    OMG Great Idea! I worked in the hospital and all my diabetics couldn't have salt so we had Mrs Dash! Brilliant! You just solved many problems and gave me tuns of ideas! <3
  • ladybg81
    ladybg81 Posts: 1,553 Member
    Options
    I buy great value brown rice but I cook it in homemade chicken broth. Makes all the difference in the world.
  • paravision
    Options

Ditto! It's the big brown box, 1.2Kg, about $5 which makes it 35 cents a serving or so. It cooks in 10 minutes unlike regular brown rice which takes 45+ and is 6% DRI/150mg of sodium. If sodium is a problem for you try Zinda Couscous, 0mg sodium.
    OK girls! Ill get some!
  • paravision
    Options

OK girls! Ill get some!
  • paravision
    Options
    Duplicate