Brown Rice! OMG!!!

Options

Replies

• eruczyn1
    Options
    Brown , or white rice, cooked in chicken broth is amazing.
  • eruczyn1
    Options
  • paravision
    Options
    I buy great value brown rice but I cook it in homemade chicken broth. Makes all the difference in the world.
    Chicken broth! Genius! Thanks Illget some. The world of brown rice is new to me. I have never bought any :o)
  • paravision
    Options
    Brown basmati rice. First toast the rice in the pan, just stirring it around until the first grains start to pop. Add water or broth, tsp of butter and salt to taste. Bring to a boil very quickly, lower the heat to a simmer, cover and cook until it's done. Don't stir it while it's cooking. Basmati rice is supposed to be lower on the glycemic index than other rices - if you care about those things.

This is my favorite way of cooking rice. As far as white rice is concerned I love White Jasmati rice. I cook it very rarely because I tend to eat too much of it.

This ^ but throw in some shredded carrots, golden raisins, a half pinch of cardamom and a pinch of cinnamon. If you cook it like this you really will be saying BROWN RICE! OMG!!!
    Ok I have someone picking this all up for me right now! Thanks!
  • paravision
    Options
    Got it thanks hun!
  • paravision
    Options
    Mrs. Dash. These seasonings are great and salt free but so flavorful that you won't miss the salt.
    Ok I have someone picking me up all the flavors. Is at made from only herbs and spices?
  • kikitlo
    kikitlo Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Lindberg Organic short grain brown rice. I buy it at Costco....12 lbs bag. Yea, we don't eat a lot of rice...haha. Be careful of the broth's. Look for low sodium. Vegetable broth has less calories, but again can be high in sodium.
    I usually dice up carrots and throw some peas in it. Also for a quick spanish rice, cook as per directions, then when done, throw in your favorite salsa.
    Off the subject.....have you tried quinoa?????
  • misty589
    misty589 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I like the parboiled stuff, it doesn't get "gritty" when it's cooked
  • paravision
    Options
    Lindberg Organic short grain brown rice. I buy it at Costco....12 lbs bag. Yea, we don't eat a lot of rice...haha. Be careful of the broth's. Look for low sodium. Vegetable broth has less calories, but again can be high in sodium.
    I usually dice up carrots and throw some peas in it. Also for a quick spanish rice, cook as per directions, then when done, throw in your favorite salsa.
    No! please share :OD
  • kikitlo
    kikitlo Posts: 17 Member
    Options

OMG, ok. It's a whole grain that is packed with protein. Yes, protein 7 grams per serving. It's hard to describe the texture, but I'll try. You cook it like rice, it's super small and once cooked it kinda has a pasta like texture. Hope that makes sense. Gotta be careful, it is high in calories, 170 for 1/4 cup, but it's a nice change from rice or pasta. I mix it in my family's turkey meatloaf instead of breadcrumbs, they have no idea....LOL.
  • Gigi_licious
    Gigi_licious Posts: 1,185 Member
    Options
    White rice.
  • cathydawson70
    Options
    Try Uncle Ben's boil in the bag rice. I tried it for the first time and it was pretty good. Only takes 10 minutes to cook.
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    Sainsburys Basics Long grain white rice. Dirt cheap, nice tasting,and it's gonna be doused in ketchup anyway :D
  • slimkitty
    slimkitty Posts: 418
    Options

I love quinoa!!!! I actually had soup today for lunch with savoy cabbage, quinoa, carrots, garlic and ginger. It was super yummy. It cooks faster than rice and has much more protein. Just make sure to rinse it really well so it's not bitter.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    Ok now that I have your attention ;o) I want to add brown rice to my diet. I need low sodium low cal GOOD TASTING rice. What do you guys buy?
    There's no real difference in nutritional value in either white or brown rice. Why not just eat white rice?
  • reynavp
    Options
    Organic short grain brown rice, by Lundberg. It smells like pop corn while cooking and it tastes yummy!:smile:
  • havalinaaa
    havalinaaa Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I really like the Lundberg Famiily Farms brown and wild rice blends. My boyfriend who hates any rice other than white has even started liking them. As another poster suggested, cooking them with stock makes them super tasty. I make my own broth so I can control the sodium, and it's a thrifty way to use veggie and meat scraps.
  • paravision
    Options
    Ill have to check them all out! Thanks guys!
  • TheBraveryLover
    TheBraveryLover Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    Definitely Uncle Ben's. Can't go wrong with any type of rice from that brand.
  • zeeeb
    zeeeb Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    i actually like brown rice, it tastes more flavourful and textureful than the white rices... the rest of my family doesn't agree, so it tends to be white rice in our house, but when i was single i used to only eat brown rice.... it's got a nutty kind of fullness to it.