Does a mom carrying octuplets need to eat more?

Options
Q: Does a mom carrying octuplets need to eat more?

A. "We recommend 300 extra calories per baby," Airoldi said, adding though that with eight babies, the extra calorie intake would not be feasible (multiply 300 by 8 ... 2,400 extra calories).

"They can't because their bellies are so big. So usually it amounts to trying to eat small frequent meals and trying to keep your calories up to at least 3,000 calories per day," he added.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/28875590/

I just thought that was kinda cool.
She is supposed to ADD more to her diet for the babies than I should be eating in 2 days! :laugh:
I cannot wait to see pics of all those babies. How cool.
(And horrifying. Eight babies? I'd run away, never to be heard from again!)

Replies

• Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options

A. "We recommend 300 extra calories per baby," Airoldi said, adding though that with eight babies, the extra calorie intake would not be feasible (multiply 300 by 8 ... 2,400 extra calories).

"They can't because their bellies are so big. So usually it amounts to trying to eat small frequent meals and trying to keep your calories up to at least 3,000 calories per day," he added.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/28875590/

I just thought that was kinda cool.
    She is supposed to ADD more to her diet for the babies than I should be eating in 2 days! :laugh:
    I cannot wait to see pics of all those babies. How cool.
    (And horrifying. Eight babies? I'd run away, never to be heard from again!)
  • flcaoh
    flcaoh Posts: 444
    Options
    Wow. The first thing I thought when I heard this story was... "OUCH". The second thing I thought was "TLC's gonna be ALL OVER THAT!!!"
  • genabug
    genabug Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    I think it is amazing what our bodies can do! Thats crazy and scary!
  • lauren85
    Options
    omg my body just hurts thinking about it. thank god i only have my two and thats it. lol
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    8 babies at one time? That's not amazing. That's horrifying. The odds of giving birth to 8 healthy children during one prenancy is pretty much nonexistent. I can't imagine how terrified I'd be during the ENTIRE pregnancy :noway:
  • DBranchaud
    DBranchaud Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    In my opinion...Eight is waayyyyy too many.

Both my mother and I we can't keep track of more than two or three kids at a time. In my family we have one kid and the next one comes a few years later when the first is somewhat self seficiant. Mommy had my sister and I 15 years apart.

Mommy didn't want a big family... she was #3 of 10

I agree TLC will be all over that
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options
    I thought you were asking for yourself before I opened this, Lauryn. :noway: :laugh:
  • 3babybeans
    3babybeans Posts: 8,268 Member
    Options
    I thought you were asking for yourself before I opened this, Lauryn. :noway: :laugh:

I have to admit that I was mildly concerned as well. :wink:
  • Anna_Banana
    Anna_Banana Posts: 2,939 Member
    Options
    Lol I thought maybe she was asking for Tam.
  • paulamma1
    paulamma1 Posts: 544 Member
    Options

No, just her head examined!!! :noway:
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options
    Lol I thought maybe she was asking for Tam.

:laugh: :laugh: :noway: :laugh:
  • kellch
    kellch Posts: 7,849 Member
    Options
    octuplets? thud.gif
  • hmo4
    hmo4 Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    Sadly, there will be permanent damage to probably more than 1. How many weeks was she? How mental will she be when they come home...
  • kellch
    Options
    I know......I didn't even think octuplets was possible.......:frown:

What is the highest number of babies a mother has successfully been able to give birth to, healthy I should add?
  • flcaoh
    flcaoh Posts: 444
    Options
    Sadly, there will be permanent damage to probably more than 1. How many weeks was she? How mental will she be when they come home...

I saw the report this morning... they were just born and will have to stay in the hospital for 8-10 weeks. She was (I think) 2 months early. They all weigh between 1-2 pounds. Poor little babies. Hopefully they are all healthy. They didn't really release any details about the family other than numbers (at the request of the family).
  • hmo4
    Options
    I know of triplets only. I was at their term delivery. I've also been at 23 week triplets and resuscitation was a nightmare. The first one came out crying! First 2 bad,bad deficits, and the 3rd one was shut off life support. Parents were very mad people. Mismanaged by their OB. Sad. Only 1 alive now.
  • Anna_Banana
    Anna_Banana Posts: 2,939 Member
    Options
    I know when that lady in Iowa had those septuplets (I'm sure that's spelled wrong, but she had 7) that most of them ended up with something wrong with them. I think most ended up needing glasses, some had some pretty major developmental problem. I can't remember all the details of it, cause it was about 12 years ago, but they weren't as healthy as they would have been if they were single births.
  • kellch
    Options
    I know of triplets only. I was at their term delivery. I've also been at 23 week triplets and resuscitation was a nightmare. The first one came out crying! First 2 bad,bad deficits, and the 3rd one was shut off life support. Parents were very mad people. Mismanaged by their OB. Sad. Only 1 alive now.

:brokenheart:

Wow.........that is tough :brokenheart:
  • hmo4
    Options
    30 weeks is not bad. Yoou take 1 week off/babe to relate to their development and maturity. So that =22 -23 weeks. Not good. They must all be on ventilators?
  • hmo4
    Options
    I'll never forget that. The whole situation was ugly. Took me a while to get over it. Cried at start of resuscitation cause i was alone.