Desk Job

Options
Lately I've been doing better at bringing an easy light lunch and having a healthy hot meal for dinner. Any desk job lunch and snacking ideas? I love sandwiches and Tuna Salad but I need to keep it exciting. Also I eat an apple and non fat yogurt as part of my snacks but I still have a hard time making it to 4:30. I used to eat fiber bars but they no longer satisfy my cravings.

Replies

• mamamc03
    mamamc03 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Pita chips or veggies & hummus
    Fruit snacks are decent
    Popcorn - 100 cal bags
    Ooo and Quaker makes these 90 cal chocolate drizzled mini rice cakes. sooo good!!
  • rileamoyer
    rileamoyer Posts: 2,411 Member
    Options
    I use Leftovers for lunch, some times a salad or soup. I keep lots of stuff in my snack drawer, fiber bars, nuts, graham crackers, peanut butter etc. I also bring fruit and chopped veggies.
  • kimber_av
    Options
    My desk job is killing my figure! haha

things I do::

drink 90oz of water throughout the day. Flavored water sometimes helps kill the cravign for taste
    also Lipton makes a diet green tea with citrus. it tastes like a yummy treat without the consequences.

snacks..
    fat free yogurt
    almonds do wonders! just be careful not too eat too many (i prepackage servings in ziplock bags)
    if i'm craving chocolate Nabisco brand makes a good breakfast bar Snackwells. its the chocolate flavored one. its 17carbs but has 8protein so it'll kill the chocolate craving and isn't too damaging.
    or you can get the chocolate calcium chews. they work too haha and youre getting calcium which all women need lots of!
    Pickles! Pickles are my savior. Craving intense flavor- grab a dill pickle. its tops 10cals and loads of flavor.
  • ConnieSG
    ConnieSG Posts: 376
    Options
    How about grapes? I put them in the freezer for about an hour prior to me eating them and they come up as sorbert.
  • Jessica2Skinny
    Jessica2Skinny Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    100 calorie packs are good if you only have a couple at your desk so you dont end up eating 5 of them over the day. I would suggest getting almond. Although they don't taste amazing, they fill you up and give you a lot of protein. Almonds are also a cancer fighter! Another idea would be pickles, they are 0 calories and yummy. Bottled water to sip on all day will help with the hunger pains.
  • PeaceLuvVeggies
    PeaceLuvVeggies Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Fruit snacks are decent
    Popcorn - 100 cal bags
    Ooo and Quaker makes these 90 cal chocolate drizzled mini rice cakes. sooo good!!

This! I love pita chips & hummus <3 Yum yum yum!
  • sunkisses
    sunkisses Posts: 2,365 Member
    Options
    What's been working for me at my desk job is to take the food I was going to eat for lunch and snack and spread them across the day evenly. Actually, I do breakfast at work since I start at 8. I do Greek yogurt or oatmeal when I get there. Coffee a while later when I start thinking of food. Then one of my snacks (almonds, 1 granola bar, grapes, apple, banana, baby carrots and ranch) between then and lunch. Then I have some of my lunch (soup, veggies, small portions of leftovers). When I'm thinking of food again, I'll either finish anything left from lunch or I'll have another snack (see previous list :tongue:). Plus I drink a mess of water all day (adding Mio when I think I can't stand water that day). So by grazing all day, I'm never hungry and I'm never full. I was able to lose weight more consistently this way (I'm close to my goal, so it's been a little slower).
  • Jessica2Skinny
    Jessica2Skinny Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Fruit snacks are decent
    Popcorn - 100 cal bags

This! I love pita chips & hummus <3 Yum yum yum!

Watch out for hummus.... very very high in fat. Only eat the serving size.
  • scrapbookdiva2
    Options
    Snacks at a desk job can be hard. I do enjoy veg and hummus, also protein bars I enjoy the peanut butter chocolate ( SIMPLY BAR) only 160 cals and 16 g of protein. Also hard boiled eggs are good with some veg. I also enjoy a tbsp of Peanut butter on a plain rice cake. (125 cals) there are also a good number of protien shakes on the market too! Basically try and encorporate a protein in the snack. and avoid artifical sweetners, they will actually make you crave carbs and sugar, because the sweetner causes you to produce insullin when it tastes the sweetness in the food. Then because there is no actual sugar to burn, your body has too much insullin and sends off a signal to crave sweets so the insullin has something to burn! keep to clean eating when you can, whole foods! Good luck
  • SweetestHoney
    SweetestHoney Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Fruit snacks are decent
    Popcorn - 100 cal bags

I forgot about popcorn! I love the Smart Pop mini bags. Those would be perfect. Also I love fruit snacks so I may need to shop for a decent and delicious brand of those.

Thanks for the Almond and nut suggestions. Those are great for cravings. I have lots of 1/4 cup tupperware so I'll have to preportion or ill be in trouble.
  • Prettyinpaisley
    Prettyinpaisley Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I too have been struggling with my desk job. I like the idea of snacking ALL day. I have a snack drawer in my desk, usually filled with pre-measured snacks (which makes it easier to log). I drink TEA all day, (nice boost of caffeine for my workday).

Part of my dilemma is that mindless snacking helps me focus on my work (I'm a grant writer). Which is why I've been leaving my lunch in the kitchen across the building. Now I actually have to walk over there to eat it. It reminds me to actually take a lunch break, clear my mind, and have an entire lunch, which fills me up and limits mindless snacking.

Good snacks at work:
    Erin Baker's Mini breakfast cookies (100 cal)
    Satsumas (they're seedless, easy to peel, and IN SEASON NOW!)
    Carrot Sticks
    Cherry tomatoes
    Hardboiled eggs
    Hershey's mini - dark chocolates (I keep a few on hand)

I avoid the snack machine down the hall.

Good luck.
  • moondust7
    moondust7 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    String cheese sticks
    Nuts
    Peanut butter and fruit or veges
  • BettyBeth14
    BettyBeth14 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Mine could be classed as pretty boring...but my daily menu is below

Breakfast (In work around 8.30) - Scrambled egg on wholewheat toast - Making the egg in the micro.
    Lunch, chicken (Alternate between teriyaki & BBQ marinade) salad on non gym days, rice on gym days. - I find it easier to make the chicken the night before, either dice & stirfry the chicken or butterfly and gridle it.
    Dinner - Healthy hot meal, depending on cals left for the day

The breakfast keeps me ful til lunch (Around 12.30/1.00) so no snacking in the morning, then fruit around 4pm mark.

Hope this helps xx
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    I snack a lot at work. My lunch is usually fairly light since I snack in the morning and afternoon. My usual snack rotation includes:

Greek yogurt
    Almonds (pre-portioned into a plastic container)
    Mini Babybell light cheese
    Fruit- usually bananas or apples
    Hummus and vegetables
    Celery and peanut butter
    Hard boiled egg (I keep salt and pepper at my desk...yum)
    Once in a while microwave popcorn- you get a whole lot for not many calories and fixes my salt/crunch cravings
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    Just brown bag what you want to eat. Or in my case, a Budweiser 6 Pack Cooler!

I do a banana and chocolate peanut butter in the morning. Eat a normal lunch, usually left overs or soup. In the afternoon I eat Just For One Veggie trays, a granola bar, or carrots. Sometimes all three if I'm working out after work.

I also make sure to walk around once an hour. Which shouldn't be a problem if properly hydrated :smile:. And sometimes I knock out a few sets of push-ups back in the warehouse where no one is looking 3 times a week.