To those in the Northeast...

Options

Replies

• kb455
    kb455 Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    Our hating it and the 6 months or more of cold should be viewed in the same way as we do when all the southern people complain about how hot it is.
    It mystifies us here in the north how hating heat can be possible.

This. Also, I'm concerned about the people all over the NE who are going without heat because they've lost power. Last count I saw, there are over 200,000 in my area alone with no power. I'd say most don't own generators and have electric heat. Yeah, the snow is pretty but I like to be warm more. Its supposed to be in the 30s tonight...

Not to mention there are those that are a little uncoordinated and slipped in the snow this morning and hurt their bum..

Hahahaha!!! It wasn't my bum smarta$$!! LOL, it was my knee. And, in my defense, it wasn't my lack of coordination. My 70-pound dog was excited about the snow and pulled too hard on the leash.... :tongue:
  • chrissaucier
    chrissaucier Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Being from Massachusetts all my life, I do find snow pretty once in a while. But, before halloween is a little early for me. And being without power is no fun in the freezing temps. I can only wish for another 50 degree day or two!
  • rbryntes
    rbryntes Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    Our hating it and the 6 months or more of cold should be viewed in the same way as we do when all the southern people complain about how hot it is.

Yeah, so I grew up in upstate NY and northern WI and I have to tell you, you do not understand heat until you have lived in Atlanta for ten years. My first shimmer in Atlanta, I thought I would DIE. 80 degrees is not overly hot. 102 degrees with 98 percent humidity is miserable.
  • Carl01
    Carl01 Posts: 9,370 Member
    Options

Yeah, so I grew up in upstate NY and northern WI and I have to tell you, you do not understand heat until you have lived in Atlanta for ten years. My first shimmer in Atlanta, I thought I would DIE. 80 degrees is not overly hot. 102 degrees with 98 percent humidity is miserable.

I accept that as true with the concession that I simply can`t relate to it and was the basis of my point as to why those of us that have to deal with snow more often then not hate it while others think it is wonderful. :smile:
  • mightymom2
    mightymom2 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I'm in RI & LOVE the snow, while it is a bit early in the year for it love it anyways
  • ChrisStoney
    ChrisStoney Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    I'm from massachusetts as well... working at a prison so I won't get to enjoy the snow until 12 am- I did get hit by a snowball allready thanks to my co-worker... so hopefully I will be dry by then... If the snow is as slushy as the snow ball- it will be a mess, LOL.

Anyone else get hit with a snowball yet- spread the love!!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I really only like snow when it sticks to the grass, but not the sidewalks or roads, or it's a total full-blown blizzard and a state of emergency so none one has to drive in that white poop.

I loved snow and winter up until I was a homeowner with a corner lot to shovel and a poorly insulated house to heat. Snow was the greatest thing ever when I was in high school and college and go snow days! Now I have a leaky roof that needs fixing, my roofing guys are already behind on jobs because the weather has been so bad with all the rain we've had all year, and we'll need some nice weather to get the job done!
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    Grrrrr. Yup the snow is pretty but I have five staircases to shovel (yes that's five STAIRCASES of 6-15 steps each)... AND the snowplow piles the snow from the entire street onto the sidewalk so I have to shovel a huge three foot wall of plow packed snow off of the sidewalk every storm. Winter is long enough, we don't need it starting before Halloween.

I'm a NEW ENGLANDER and it is my God-given right to complain about the weather whenever I dang well please.
  • Yakisoba
    Yakisoba Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    When I saw that it was snowing, I squealed. ^_^ I spent all of winter in Italy last year and didn't get much snow. :/
  • brittanyjeanxo
    brittanyjeanxo Posts: 1,831 Member
    Options
    Not everyone has a day with no obligations and can just sit back and enjoy it. Some people have very busy, active lifestyles and don't curl up on the couch.

Why do some northeasterners not appreciate today's snow?

Hmmmm. It's a heavy, wet snow. Trees still have leaves. That is a recipe for widespread power outtages.

The roads are horrendous. Sliding on icy roads, destroying your car and putting your life in jeopardy, is not exactly something to be festive about.

Because this is an earlier than usual storm for most of the northeast, that means many departments of transportation were not ready to handle a storm of this magnitude, which means unplowed roadways and worse conditons that a normal winter snow.

As for shoveling--other than walkways to house entries, I see no point. It's october. The snow will be gone in no time, so shoveling driveways seems ridiculous.

I love snow. I think it is gorgeous, but I do not underestimate the danger involved either.

Hi, thanks for being so judgmental, enjoy your warning from the moderators.
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    18 inches of the heaviest wettest snow. Two trees down, one of which is across my driveway (thank God it's not smashed through the house) No power and we don't expect any all day which means no HEAT either. Freaking HEAVY SNOW that I'm going to have to shovel off of my flat porch roof but when I come inside I can't get warm because I don't have any heat. Oh, and it's going to be down to 15 degrees tonight without any heat which means that in addition to being cold, I have to worry about the pipes under the house freezing... So I'll have to go out and get some propane to try to heat under there with a propane heater, oh but wait, I can't get out of my driveway because there is a tree across it.

I can see how children with no responsibilities would think this storm is "fun" and beautiful, but I just see an entire day of shoveling soaking wet snow and then returning to a freezing cold house, eating cold food in the dark and worrying all night about the possibility of a tree coming through my roof or my heating pipes freezing (you leave your water dripping to prevent water pipes from freezing but it won't help your radiator pipes)
  • LorinaLynn
    Options
    Not everyone has a day with no obligations and can just sit back and enjoy it. Some people have very busy, active lifestyles and don't curl up on the couch.

Hmmmm. It's a heavy, wet snow. Trees still have leaves. That is a recipe for widespread power outtages.

The roads are horrendous. Sliding on icy roads, destroying your car and putting your life in jeopardy, is not exactly something to be festive about.

Because this is an earlier than usual storm for most of the northeast, that means many departments of transportation were not ready to handle a storm of this magnitude, which means unplowed roadways and worse conditons that a normal winter snow.

As for shoveling--other than walkways to house entries, I see no point. It's october. The snow will be gone in no time, so shoveling driveways seems ridiculous.

I love snow. I think it is gorgeous, but I do not underestimate the danger involved either.

Why would you say that's judgmental and worthy of a warning? I'm confused as to what you thought was bad about what she said.

I think a threat of reporting someone is a lot more snide than explaining why winter weather isn't appreciated by everyone in autumn.
  • boomboom011
    boomboom011 Posts: 1,459
    Options

not me. i will take a day over 100 over a cold day anyday!
  • kendrara
    Options
    Born in California and stationed in the North Country... I was hoping that it wouldn't snow so early. That is unless it ends early too lol.
    I have gone through one winter now so I'm aware of whats coming.
    I miss mild weather lol
  • boomboom011
    boomboom011 Posts: 1,459
    Options
    P.S. down here in the GST we rarely see snow. We get what we like to call Texas snow aka sleet, straight up nothing but ice. I love it though. Cause as someone complained about, we Texans (not all but most) pray for a "snow day". Last year everything shut down for 4-5 days. It was awesome. But the roads were very dangerous.
  • SMarie10
    SMarie10 Posts: 956 Member
    Options

Why would you say that's judgmental and worthy of a warning? I'm confused as to what you thought was bad about what she said.

I think a threat of reporting someone is a lot more snide than explaining why winter weather isn't appreciated by everyone in autumn.
    BrittanyJean - why the threat here to report this person. She's not trolling, she's not berrating anyone. I liked reading her opinion and think she made some valid remarks. Think someone might need to chill and be open to others views. It is a community forum, not a dictatorship.
  • auntdeedee87
    auntdeedee87 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    OMG. You're so right! Yall get snow all the time and it should just be a winter wonderland.

I live in NC and we get these crazy hurricanes all the time and there are people who actually have the nerve to complain. I mean, what's not fun about no power, no hot food and not being able to leave your house?

I like to strip to as few clothes as possible and just lie there sweating on the floor while everyone else rushes around making sure the house doesn't blow away.

Silly people. Don't they know nature is beautiful?
  • LorinaLynn
    Options
    And this is one thing I :heart: about the internet. How small it's made the world.

Before this, most of us only got to know our immediate neighbors, but maybe once in a while visiting or chatting with friends or family members who've moved out of the area. And then we'd get a false sense of what it's really like to live elsewhere.

Me? I always fantasized about living somewhere warm because I hate winter. But do I hate winter more than I'd hate wildfires, heatwaves, mudslides, earthquakes and hurricanes? Not really.

Every place has it's ups and downs. Yes, I'm going to get jealous when my BFF posts photos from Los Angeles of her Thanksgiving Day Barbecue, while I'm shivering in the northeast. I'm not so jealous when I hear about the costs of living there, or the traffic, or the wildfires, or the smog, or roving power outages, or...

Let's just all agree that it's ok to complain about where we live once in a while. If none of us ever complain, we're going to think everyone else has a perfect life, and they don't. A little whining can keep us all sane. :laugh:
  • laughingnome
    laughingnome Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I just don't like being without power all day until 2 a.m. and having trees break and hit the house and out buildings, alot more to clean up.
  • Carl01
    Carl01 Posts: 9,370 Member
    Options

BrittanyJean - why the threat here to report this person. She's not trolling, she's not berrating anyone. I liked reading her opinion and think she made some valid remarks. Think someone might need to chill and be open to others views. It is a community forum, not a dictatorship.

Not to mention a bit of irony as the OP was essentially finding fault with people being grumpy about snow which could be viewed as being judgmental.
This discussion has been closed.